× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating data from Readynas Ultra 2 to Readynas 204

Superray
Tutor

Migrating data from Readynas Ultra 2 to Readynas 204

I'm planning to migrate my data from a 2-disk 6TB Readynas Ultra 2 (with JBOD) to a new 4-disk 12TB ReadyNas 204.

Is there any possible way to migrate the data without having to move the data to an external hdd?

Thanks in advance!

Ray

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS 204,RNDU2000 |READYNAS ULTRA 2 |EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migrating data from Readynas Ultra 2 to Readynas 204

@Superray wrote:

So if I understand correctly, the best thing is to buy 2 new drives and then copy the data to the new 4-disk bay.

- add 2 new disks in the 4-bay RN204

- copy the data from the old to the new NAS

- add the 2 'old' disks to the 4-bay RN204

Yes.  Note if you want to add the old drives to the same array they need to be the same size as the ones you are using now.  You can't add smaller drives to an existing array.  

@Superray wrote:

I would like to add Raid5 to the 4-bay RN204. Is it possible to change the raid level from JBOD (or something else) to Raid5 after adding the 2 'old' disks?

Just use the default XRAID on the RN204, and it will expand automatically.  With the first two (new) disks it will be RAID-1  (and only be half the capacity you have now).  When you add the third disk it converts to RAID-5 and will match the capacity you had in the ultra.  The capacity rule for XRAID single redundancy is "sum the disks and subtract the largest).  That also works for flexraid/raid-5.

The lower initial capacity is why I suggested

• add 2 new disks in the 4-bay RN204
  • copy the data  from one volume from the old to the new NAS
  • add the first volume's disk to the 4-bay RN204
  • copy the data  from the second volume from the old to the new NAS
  • add the second volume's disk to the 4-bay RN204

This process does assume that you have two volumes on the ultra (JBOD as opposed to a single volume with RAID-0).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If your ultra is working well, I suggest repurposing it as a backup for the RN204.

If you are keeping the current disks in the ultra, then all you need to do is set up backup jobs.  This can be on either system, though my practice is to run them on the destination system.  I suggest rsync, though NFS or SMB will also work.  I create a backup job for each share.  

If you use the private "home" shares it can be a bit tricky to copy the private folders and preserve owners/permissions.  A simple option is to use each user's credentials in turn and just drag/drop the files.  You might also want to match the UIDs and GIDs across the two systems. 

BTW, the UID/GID for the guest accounts (nobody/nogroup on the ultra) can't be matched on the RN204.  If you use those, you might want to change them on the ultra first (admin/admin is one possibility).

If you want to re-use the disks currently in the ultra it's a bit tricker.  You'd need to install the two new disks in the RN204, then use backup jobs to copy data from one of the two JBOD volumes to the RN204.  The remove that disk from the ultra and add it to the RN204.  After resync similarly copy the data from the remaining jbod volume and finally move add that disk to the RN204.

There's no need to match UID/GID in this case, but you should reset share permissions/ownership on the RN204 after the data is copied.

Message 2 of 4
Superray
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply!

So if I understand correctly, the best thing is to buy 2 new drives and then copy the data to the new 4-disk bay.

Just one more question. I think this is the way to go for me:

I would like to add Raid5 to the 4-bay RN204. Is it possible to change the raid level from JBOD (or something else) to Raid5 after adding the 2 'old' disks?

Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Superray wrote:

Yes.  Note if you want to add the old drives to the same array they need to be the same size as the ones you are using now.  You can't add smaller drives to an existing array.  

@Superray wrote:

Just use the default XRAID on the RN204, and it will expand automatically.  With the first two (new) disks it will be RAID-1  (and only be half the capacity you have now).  When you add the third disk it converts to RAID-5 and will match the capacity you had in the ultra.  The capacity rule for XRAID single redundancy is "sum the disks and subtract the largest).  That also works for flexraid/raid-5.

The lower initial capacity is why I suggested

• add 2 new disks in the 4-bay RN204
  • copy the data  from one volume from the old to the new NAS
  • add the first volume's disk to the 4-bay RN204
  • copy the data  from the second volume from the old to the new NAS
  • add the second volume's disk to the 4-bay RN204

This process does assume that you have two volumes on the ultra (JBOD as opposed to a single volume with RAID-0).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements