× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating from ReadNAS 4 Ultra to a new model

Don_Pasquale
Guide

Migrating from ReadNAS 4 Ultra to a new model

Hi guys,

I'm hoping this thread becomes useful for others that are in my same situation:

I've got a 4 Ultra with 4x2TB (all WD20EARS) all redundant in X-RAID2, but the Plex transcoding isn't doing it for me, so I'm looking to move to a 516.

This started with 2x2TB and I simply added the two final drives later and let X-RAID2 do its magic. According to FrontView I'm only using 38% of the storage space.

I know the drives I'm using are not optimal for this NAS, and I'm ready to do this right with proper ones (maybe thinking of going 3x3TB), but I am concerned about moving EVERYTHING over to a 516.

My questions are:
1.) Is there a migration software that I would use?
2.) What network connection would be best to move everything over (through a router, a USB cable, or directly connecting one to the other with a Cat5e or a cross-cable)?
3.) Is this something I could do within the 516 itself? Maybe putting my "old" drives in bays 3/4/5/6 and then two "new" 3GB drives in bays 1/2 and launching a command or software that moves all the data to the new 3GB drives? I wouldn't want it to simply spread the data to all six drives because I want to get the "old" drives out of there and add a third 3GB drive!!
4.) If I want to give the old Ultra 4 with its drives to a friend, is there a ReadyNAS software that can wipe the old drives' contents (selectively or entirely)? My only computer is an OSX and I'd like to avoid having to buy a external drive bay to do this one-time action.

Thanks everybody!
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migrating from ReadNAS 4 Ultra to a new model

1.) You could transfer the data using Frontview backup
2.) Use gigabit ethernet. Either through a router supporting gigabit ethernet or via a direct-connection. There is no need to use a crossover cable for a direct-connection as the NIC is auto-sensing.
3.) No.
4.) If you do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) - e.g. via System > Update > Factory Default in Frontview - all your data will be wiped.
Message 2 of 4
asteffens
Aspirant

Hi Guys,
ON a similar topic, how would one migrate data from a RNDP6000 which is faulty to a RN516?

regards
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Pro Business Edition has a 5 year warranty, so if there is a hardware fault with the chassis you could get a RMA, migrate your disks across to the replacement Pro then transfer your data across your network to the new RN516

It would be best to put a spare disk (must not be from your array) in the replacement Pro, make sure the firmware is at least as new as the version that was on your faulty Pro, then power down, remove your spare disk and follow the migration procedure: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements