× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migration from ReadyNas Duo v1 to RN422

harris00
Aspirant

Migration from ReadyNas Duo v1 to RN422

I'm replacing a working ReadyNas Duo v1 with an RN422. I'm sure I can recreate the Shares on the new unit and copy data over but is there an easier way? Rsync perhaps?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migration from ReadyNas Duo v1 to RN422

@harris00 wrote:

Run Rsync on the RN422?

Yes. Make sure the rsync protocol is enabled for the shares on both NAS.  Use the IP address of the Duo instead of the host name.

If you use the "private" home share feature on the Duo, you'll find it easier (though clumsy) to migrate the data with drag/drop.  For each user account you'll need to

• access the duo with file explorer using the user's credential
  • copy the share to a PC
  • create a matching user account on the RN422 with the web jui
  • Access the RN422 with that same credential
  • copy the share contents back

Or take the opportunity to copy the share contents into a normal share (using access controls if you want to restrict access).

BTW, you can repurpose your Duo as a backup NAS after you migrate the data (backing up some (or all) shares on the Duo on schedule).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

After you configure the shares on the RN422 you can use rsync backup jobs (one per share) to transfer the files over the network.

You'll need to fix the file owner/permissions on the RN422 after the transfer.  

Message 2 of 5
harris00
Aspirant

Run Rsync on the RN422?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@harris00 wrote:

Run Rsync on the RN422?

Yes. Make sure the rsync protocol is enabled for the shares on both NAS.  Use the IP address of the Duo instead of the host name.

If you use the "private" home share feature on the Duo, you'll find it easier (though clumsy) to migrate the data with drag/drop.  For each user account you'll need to

• access the duo with file explorer using the user's credential
  • copy the share to a PC
  • create a matching user account on the RN422 with the web jui
  • Access the RN422 with that same credential
  • copy the share contents back

Or take the opportunity to copy the share contents into a normal share (using access controls if you want to restrict access).

BTW, you can repurpose your Duo as a backup NAS after you migrate the data (backing up some (or all) shares on the Duo on schedule).

Message 4 of 5
harris00
Aspirant

Worked perfectly! Rsync took almost no time and I only had one LAN connection at the time. Thanks for your help!!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements