× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Missing Folders

robturpin
Tutor

Missing Folders

For the second time now, multiple folders have mysteriously disappeared from within the Videos directory of my ReadyNAS! This happened once when I first purchased it (used), and now again after I completely restored it to its factory settings and recreated the X-Raid2 array (exactly 6 days ago).

The first time, it was the "Movies" folder that vanished. This time, it's the "TV Shows" (and everything within it). I can manually access the "TV Shows" folder by specifying the folder name using the file explorer on Windows 10, but it appears to contain nothing. I can see a "$Recycle.bin" folder using "dir /a:h" from a cmd prompt, but my files aren't in there either.

I've found numerous posts from people experiencing the exact same thing, and also several similar circumstances, but I have yet to see where anyone (Netgear or other users) have determined "What" is happening, and most importantly how to fix/prevent it.

I bought this NAS for two reasons; 1) I was completely out of storage space and upgrade potential on my pcs, 2) for fast easy backup & streaming of my personal files. I realize that you should never have any data in ONLY one place - EVER, BUT c'mon! If this thing is going to simply move/delete/hide/whatever ANY of my data stored on it, then it's a completely unreliable and totally useless paperweight...

Please, please, please can someone help us who are plagued by this heinous glitch, figure out what's going on with these devices?

Here are its details:

Model:     ReadyNAS Ultra 6 [X-RAID2]
Firmware:     RAIDiator 4.2.28
Memory:     2048 MB [DDR2]
IPv4 address: 1:     192.168.1.200
IPv4 address: 2:     192.168.1.201
Volume C:     Online, X-RAID2, 6 disks, 21% of 9245 GB used

Model: ReadyNASRNDU6310|ReadyNAS Ultra 6
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Missing Folders

@robturpin wrote:

"The /MIR switch tells Robocopy you want to mirror the two folders, copying all folders (even empty ones) from the source directory and purging folders from the destination if they no longer exist on the source."

Yes, that is exactly what /MIR does.  It syncs the destination to the source - including deleting any files in the destination folder that no long exist in the source.folder.

@robturpin wrote:

I'm going to assume (save some kind hearted generous Windows/Linux guru out there wishes to display pity upon my stupidity by helping me recover them through advanced magical wizardry), that my files are completely gone from the NAS.

They are gone from the NAS.  There are some tools that could potentially recovery them, but odds are not good.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
robturpin
Tutor

I've been retracing my recent steps, and I might have found the cause of my particular issue. I've recently learned of the Windows command "Robocopy", which is a very efficient, powerful and yes even dangerous file management tool.

I initially noted that the "/MIR" switch would mirror the complete directory structure of the source onto the destination. In re-researching the details of this command, I found these chilling details:

"The /MIR switch tells Robocopy you want to mirror the two folders, copying all folders (even empty ones) from the source directory and purging folders from the destination if they no longer exist on the source."

I'm going to assume (save some kind hearted generous Windows/Linux guru out there wishes to display pity upon my stupidity by helping me recover them through advanced magical wizardry), that my files are completely gone from the NAS.

Oh, and if this is indeed the reason for both of my incidents, then I sincerely apologize for thinking and speaking ill against Netgear and their ReadyNAS devices and software.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@robturpin wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what /MIR does.  It syncs the destination to the source - including deleting any files in the destination folder that no long exist in the source.folder.

@robturpin wrote:

They are gone from the NAS.  There are some tools that could potentially recovery them, but odds are not good.

Message 3 of 5
robturpin
Tutor

Thanks StephenB.

Yes, it's confirmed, as I've now been running strong for an entire week with zero (0) issues on my ReadyNAS Ultra 6.

RoboCopy = BAD (or at least VERY dangerous...)!!!

RichCopy 4.0 = MUCH better!!

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@robturpin wrote:

RoboCopy = BAD (or at least VERY dangerous...)!!!

Robocopy isn't BAD (or dangerous).  But you do need to know what the options do before you use them.

Richcopy has a similar mode to /mir, which it calls "purge".  Personally I find it that name more confusing than "mirror".

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements