× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Missing files in /etc

Missing files in /etc

Hi,

I'm using my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 for years, upgraded to OS6 (6.10.1 for now).

As I'm an advanced user, several services were added over the years (additional kernel modules for home control devices, docker...).

I discovered recently that some files were missing from /etc folder (/etc/init.d), and service such as NFS were not able to restart properly. I managed to uninstall / install / setup serices with issue, but I'm scared to reboot the device if other files are still missing.

Before going with the factory reset option, which mean to backup 3TB of data, and redo the whole configuration; is there a way to recover the initial /etc content ? does the firmware upgrade (as 6.10.2 is available) redeploy /etc files ?

Thanks for your advices.

Model: RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Missing files in /etc

I don't think that an OS reinstall or an overinstall will restore everything in /etc, and both will require a reboot.

Systematically disabling and re-enabling services via the web ui might help.  Similarly changing share settings (and then changing them back).

You could look in /var/backups, as there might be some stuff in the gz archives there that might be relevant.

Do you have any idea on when the files went missing (or why)?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements