× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mix slightly different HDD models?

Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Mix slightly different HDD models?

I have three drives in my RN524X, room for one more.  The three drives are all matching as WD60EFRX, which is Western Digital Red, 6TB.

This model is no longer in production.  There is a new model called WD60EFAX with slightly different specs, it has a much larger cache, read speeds look the same, I don't know what else mibht be slightly different.  It has Nasware3.0, whatever that means, I'm not sure what the older models have. 

Anyone know if I would have any problems by adding a 4th drive in this new model to my raid along with the others?

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Mix slightly different HDD models?

That mix will give you no problems.  The only mixed drive compatibility issue I know of is the NAS will warn about mismatched drive speeds in a volume, but that doesn't apply to those drives, which have the same rotational speed.  Whether the mixing of different speeds is a genuine concern is something that's debated, but I do avoid it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Mix slightly different HDD models?

That mix will give you no problems.  The only mixed drive compatibility issue I know of is the NAS will warn about mismatched drive speeds in a volume, but that doesn't apply to those drives, which have the same rotational speed.  Whether the mixing of different speeds is a genuine concern is something that's debated, but I do avoid it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements