× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mixing brand model and size to upgrade storage space?

volpone
Aspirant

Mixing brand model and size to upgrade storage space?

Hello all,
I need to upgrade my X86 ReadyNas Pro Pioneer (4.2.19) X-RAID2 4 drives setup to 6 drives setup to get more storage space.

The four installed drive models WD 1TB Green WD10EADS-00L5B1 (3 plates) are running 24/7 without problems since near 3 years despite they are not in the HCL. Unfortunately they are no more available.

Replacement model WD WD10EADS-00M2B0 (2 plates) is currently not easily available in France but especially it's seems affected by LCC issue see WD10EADS WD Caviar Green not recommended for NAS by WD. So my questions are:

1) Is it possible to mix brands, models and size in my NAS and install 2TB drives on the free 2 slots ?

2) Amount of total X-RAID2 storage space available with (4*1TB + 2*2TB) vs my actual 2,7TO (4*1TB) ?

2) Drive models and brand (Western Digital or others) recommended to complete my setup knowing i'm especially concerned in reliability (vs performances or price) ?

Thank you in advance.
Volpone
Message 1 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. Yes
2. Assuming you stick with single-redundancy about 2.7TB more than you have now. If you elect to convert to dual-redundancy (should do this before adding first 2TB disk: http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19044/~/converting-and-xraid2-system-to-dual-redu...) you'll get a bit under 1TB more space than what you have now.
3. Hitachi has a good reputation for reliability on the forum recently, I think.
Message 2 of 15
volpone
Aspirant

Thank you mdgm,
I think i'm going to stick with single-redundancy to get twice my current space in buying 2 * 2TB Hitachi Desktar 7K3000 (HDS723020BLA642).

Any recommandation to add the new drives ?
Regards

Volpone
Message 3 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

volpone - Those are not on the HCL. The 3TB version is. Check the prices of 3TB drives compared to 2TB. When I expanded my NVX units last summer the prices of 2TB were so close to 3TB that I instead skipped the 2TB and went for 3TB. I also went with the Hitachi drive (HDS5C3030ALA630) and have been very pleased with them. On Newegg in the U.S. they are listed with 3 different part numbers but the image of the decal on the drive shows them to all be the same model. Two are bare drives (0F03230 and 0F12460) and one is retail boxed (0F03228). Ironically, the retail boxed is currently the least expensive. These are 5400RPM Green drives.

Another drive that has a good reputation is the 2TB Samsung HD204UI but is a little more expensive than the Seagate/WD listings, at least in the U.S.

Just be sure to stick with drives that are on the HCL, and check some of the experiences in the Community Hardware Compatibility List.
Message 4 of 15
volpone
Aspirant

Thank You PapaBear,
Sorry if i made an error reading it but Hitachi 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (P/N:0F12115) is currently on the HCL for X86 Pro Pioneer.

However i'm interested in your recommendation about 3TB or 2TB "green" disks (reliability, low power and noise) like Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 or Samsung HD204UI.

I 'm pleased with the Western Digital Green and i only switch to other brand because of the LCC issue in some models (not in the 1TB 3 plates).

Regards
Volpone.
Message 5 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

Sorry, I misread it. I was thinking of the HDS5C3020ALA632 which is the 2TB version of the 3TB drive green drive that is on the list. Mea Culpa.
Message 6 of 15
volpone
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
Sorry, I misread it. I was thinking of the HDS5C3020ALA632 which is the 2TB version of the 3TB drive green drive that is on the list. Mea Culpa.

PapaBear,
However i'm still interested in 2TB Green SPINPOINT F4 HD204UI (on HCL) or 2TB DESKSTAR 5K3000 (amazingly not in HCL for the moment). Do you know if backup and factory reset is needed (4K alignment) using these 2x2TB disks to expand my X-Raid2 setup ?

Thank you.
Volpone
Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

volpone wrote:
PapaBear wrote:

PapaBear,
However i'm still interested in 2TB Green SPINPOINT F4 HD204UI (on HCL) or 2TB DESKSTAR 5K3000 (amazingly not in HCL for the moment). Do you know if backup and factory reset is needed (4K alignment) using these 2x2TB disks to expand my X-Raid2 setup ?

Thank you.
Volpone
If your system has XRAID-2, then you shouldn't need to worry about 4K alignment - you should already have it.
Message 8 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Stephen, not necessarily. If the NAS was last factory reset on RAIDiator 4.2.11 or earlier the disks may not be 4k sector partition aligned.

Take a look at Why you might want to factory reset a x86 ReadyNAS

If disks are not 4k sector partition aligned you have two options as detailed there.
Message 9 of 15
volpone
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Stephen, not necessarily. If the NAS was last factory reset on RAIDiator 4.2.11 or earlier the disks may not be 4k sector partition aligned.

Take a look at Why you might want to factory reset a x86 ReadyNAS

If disks are not 4k sector partition aligned you have two options as detailed there.

mdgm, according to inidrd.log my disks are not 4k sector partition aligned (see later).
I need to factory reset if expanding with 2x2TB or 2x3TB drives as planned, correct ?
Thank you.

Initrd.log
[2010/06/13 13:05:52] Factory default initiated due to new disks (no RAID, no partitions).
[2010/06/13 13:12:24] Updated from RAIDiator to 4.2.11.
[2010/08/24 12:33:54] Updated from RAIDiator 4.2.11 to 4.2.13.
[2010/09/21 21:13:13] Updated from RAIDiator 4.2.13 to 4.2.14-T9.
[2010/09/29 22:14:09] Updated from RAIDiator 4.2.14-T9 to 4.2.14-T13.
[2010/09/30 19:19:53] Updated from RAIDiator 4.2.14-T13 to 4.2.14-T14.
[2011/05/25 17:07:27] Updated from RAIDiator 4.2.14-T14 to 4.2.17.
[2011/10/31 21:42:04] Updated from RAIDiator 4.2.19 to 4.2.19.
Message 10 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's not the only option. Take a look at http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_x86_4_2_12_Notes
yoh-dah wrote:

Added support for 4K sector drives. If you have already installed 4K sector drives with 4.2.11 or earlier, you can replace each disk one by one, allowing it to complete resync, and all your disks will be 4K aligned, and your performance should be on par with similar 512-byte sector drives.

If any of your disks were added on 4.2.12 or later then they would be 4k sector partition aligned. But if they were all last added prior to RAIDiator 4.2.12 then none of them would be 4k sector partition aligned.

Check your partition.log. If you have the time or if most of your disks are not 4k sector aligned then it would be best to backup and do a factory reset but that is not the only option.
Message 11 of 15
volpone
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
That's not the only option. Take a look at http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_x86_4_2_12_Notes
Check your partition.log. If you have the time or if most of your disks are not 4k sector aligned then it would be best to backup and do a factory reset but that is not the only option.

mdgm,
I've checked partition log. Seems all 4 disks are 512 sector.
So i'm afraid i will need to full backup and factory reset my NAS prior to expand my array.

I have an other "small" NAS and several external USB HDD, but i miss a single backup volume with sufficent space (2TB) .
Any pointer to a full data backup procedure (near 2TB needed) on several devices ?
Thank you

partition.log extract
***** partition output for sdd *****

Disk /dev/sdd: 1953525168 sectors, 931.5 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 9BF39102-7D95-4343-ABFF-489B348716D5
Partition table holds up to 8 entries
First usable sector is 4, last usable sector is 1953525164
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 5101 sectors (2.5 MiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 4 8388611 4.0 GiB FD00 Linux RAID
2 8388612 9437187 512.0 MiB FD00 Linux RAID
5 9437189 1953520064 927.0 GiB FD00 Linux RAID

Disk /dev/sdd: 121601 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8257536 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
/dev/sdd1 0+ 121126- 121127- 976762583+ ee EFI GPT
/dev/sdd2 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/sdd3 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/sdd4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
Message 12 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

volpone wrote:

I've checked partition log. Seems all 4 disks are 512 sector.
So i'm afraid i will need to full backup and factory reset my NAS prior to expand my array.

Well you could replace two disks one at a time, hot-remove disk, wait say half a minute then hot-add again, disk will be wiped, then you need to wait for resync to complete then repeat for second disk. Then replace the other two disks one at a time with the higher capacity disks. If you go down this route I'd recommend running the "Test Disks" boot option. It is a good idea to check if a disk is failing. The hot-swap route is an option though I'd prefer the backup and factory default route.
volpone wrote:

I have an other "small" NAS and several external USB HDD, but i miss a single backup volume with sufficent space (2TB) .
Any pointer to a full data backup procedure (near 2TB needed) on several devices ?

Well you could put one of the new 2TB drives in a USB enclosure and backup your data to that. Then do another backup of your most important data to your other NAS and external USB hard drives.

Then do a factory reset and hot-add (add while NAS is on) the 2TB disk you put in a USB enclosure to the NAS.
Message 13 of 15
volpone
Aspirant

Thank you mdgm for your detailed instructions.
mdgm wrote:
Well you could replace two disks one at a time, hot-remove disk, wait say half a minute then hot-add again...
I'm not sure to understand the hot-plug / wipe procedure. In my idea (from my 4*1TB X-RAID2 current setup) it was sufficient to add the 2 new 2TB disks and then factory reset to wipe and rebuild completely the array (after a having done a full data backup obviously).Then reinstall add-ons and restore the data backup. Where i am wrong ?
Well you could put one of the new 2TB drives in a USB enclosure and backup your data to that. Then do another backup of your most important data to your other NAS and external USB hard drives.Then do a factory reset and hot-add (add while NAS is on) the 2TB disk you put in a USB enclosure to the NAS.
OK for external backup using one of the new drives, any pointer on an USB external enclosure supporting 3TB drives (i'm not sure if i'm going to buy 2 or 3 TB new disks) ?
Regards
Volpone
Message 14 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

volpone wrote:
Thank you mdgm for your detailed instructions.
mdgm wrote:
Well you could replace two disks one at a time, hot-remove disk, wait say half a minute then hot-add again...
I'm not sure to understand the hot-plug / wipe procedure. In my idea (from my 4*1TB X-RAID2 current setup) it was sufficient to add the 2 new 2TB disks and then factory reset to wipe and rebuild completely the array (after a having done a full data backup obviously).Then reinstall add-ons and restore the data backup. Where i am wrong ?

You're right. I was just mentioning the alternative where you don't do a factory reset but get 4k sector partition alignment. Hot in this case means do it while the NAS is running.
volpone wrote:

Well you could put one of the new 2TB drives in a USB enclosure and backup your data to that. Then do another backup of your most important data to your other NAS and external USB hard drives.Then do a factory reset and hot-add (add while NAS is on) the 2TB disk you put in a USB enclosure to the NAS.
OK for external backup using one of the new drives, any pointer on an USB external enclosure supporting 3TB drives (i'm not sure if i'm going to buy 2 or 3 TB new disks) ?

I'm not sure. Maybe someone else has some ideas. You might want to search the forum for suggestions.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements