× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Move Flex-Raid volume from one nas to another

FlaviaS
Star

Move Flex-Raid volume from one nas to another

I have a Pro6 Nas with a one Raid-1 Flex-Raid volume (called vol1) with disks inserted in slot 1&4. I also have a RN102 (Arm based) with one Flex-Raid Raid-1 volume called "data-0". Both run ReadyOS 6.10.5 (obviously first the x64, the other ARM version).

I decided to move the 2 drives from RN102 to Pro6 in slot 2&5, because of much better performance of the Pro6 unit.

The newly inserted disks are shown red and I get "Volume is inactive or dead" and "Destroy the inactive volume in order to reuse disk 2&5". I already made a copy of the data there so this is more of an academic question but would be possible to bring the volume online instead of destroying and recreating it ?

I heard about a lot of people buying a new nas and just moving drives over. Since I am not using X-Raid (allows a single volume per NAS) and the volumes have different names I did hope I will not have to recreate and sync the second volume from scratch.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Move Flex-Raid volume from one nas to another

You have to EXPORT the volume from the 102 before you move the drives (with power off) to the Pro6.  I don't believe the Pro has done anything with those drives, so they should still boot up fine in the 102 (or by themselves in the Pro) so you can do that export.  You need to put the Pro in FlexRAID mode, power off, insert the exported drives, and power on.  Import will be automatic.  You'll see it do a sync, but it's just of the OS partition and should be quick.

Note that anything in user personal folders in the moved volume will remain, but be unaccessible except via SSH.  The same goes for any shares with the same name.  You should also first uninstall any apps on the 102 to insure there is no data retained from them.

Nonetheless, a backup is always recommended before doing anything major like this.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

You have to EXPORT the volume from the 102 before you move the drives (with power off) to the Pro6.  I don't believe the Pro has done anything with those drives, so they should still boot up fine in the 102 (or by themselves in the Pro) so you can do that export.  You need to put the Pro in FlexRAID mode, power off, insert the exported drives, and power on.  Import will be automatic.  You'll see it do a sync, but it's just of the OS partition and should be quick.

Note that anything in user personal folders in the moved volume will remain, but be unaccessible except via SSH.  The same goes for any shares with the same name.  You should also first uninstall any apps on the 102 to insure there is no data retained from them.

Nonetheless, a backup is always recommended before doing anything major like this.

Message 2 of 4
FlaviaS
Star

Thank you, sandshark, this worked perfectly with the only minor snag that when on 102 I clicked export I got a pop-up window to confirm by typing "EXPORT". This is all fine and good but the text in the windown was saying "Destroying a volume will result in all data lost". I was pretty sure that I selected export and not destroy but the text in the pop-up window was speaking about destroy. A minor, cosmetic GUI bug, I guess. Anyway, all went fine.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

You are not the first to report that a bug crept in in the EXPORT function where it now gives the wrong warning.  I'm still on 6.9.6, where it gives the right warning.  You are the first to report it's just the wrong message, that it really did export; so thanks for reporting back.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements