× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Move disks from ReadyNAS NV+ to ReadyNAS 214

PelleS
Tutor

Move disks from ReadyNAS NV+ to ReadyNAS 214

My ReadyNAS NV+ is not starting up after power failure, even though I have an UPS with battery back-up. Suspect it might be the power pack? Hopefully my disks (4*2 TB) are OK, running X-RAID. Can I move these disks to a new ReadyNAS, such as the ReadyNAS 214, without loosing data?

Model: ReadyNASRND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
PelleS
Tutor

Contacted Netgear support, they were very helpful. They offered to send me a new PSU and after replacing my old one I'm up and running again! Very good support, NetgearSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@PelleS wrote:

My ReadyNAS NV+ is not starting up after power failure, even though I have an UPS with battery back-up. Suspect it might be the power pack? 

It could be.  PSU failures of course can occur at any time.

@PelleS wrote:

Can I move these disks to a new ReadyNAS, such as the ReadyNAS 214, without loosing data?

You can't simply migrate the disks.  Support can assist you in temporarily mounting them, so you can copy the data off.  They likely will charge for that.  https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

Other options are to replace the PSU, and to attach the four drives to a PC running linux, and mount the drives manually.  Most PCs can be booted with a linux Live Disk,  The four drives can be attached using either SATA or SATA->USB adapters or docks.

Message 2 of 6
PelleS
Tutor

Contacted Netgear support, they were very helpful. They offered to send me a new PSU and after replacing my old one I'm up and running again! Very good support, NetgearSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
Decker72
Aspirant

Hey. I'd love to know what country you are in. I'm in Australia and I just tried to contact customer support and was told to take it to a local electronics shop and hopefully they could do something for me. That was after being transfered on the phone 3 times. Yours sounds like a very different (and much more satisfying) encounter than mine 🙂

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 4 of 6
PelleS
Tutor

Hi Decker72,

I live in Sweden and contacted the swedish support (had to sit in the phone for quite a while...). They were very accomodating and recommended me to try a new/refurbished PSU, which they sent me.

There are quite a few topics on both the Netgear community and YouTube about the PSU on ReadyNAS NV+, indicating that it's not an uncommon problem. You can find some helpful tips there about getting a new PSU and changing it yourself, if your support aren't willing to help. From what I gather it doesn't seem that hard to do Smiley Happy

Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
Decker72
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt reply. I think I may have been reading some of the same threads. I've pulled the old supply out and it sure has a burnt out smell to. I had an old desktop PC in the cupboard, so pulled the power supply, re-wired the pins as per some of the instructions on the site, and managed to get it to start up without any disks in (although frankenstein's monster would fall in love with it as it looks now 🙂 ). Off to get a large capacity backup disk tomorrow, drop the disks in, hope it comes up in a friendly manner and rip all the contents off ASAP. Then if she seems to be happy running on the new power supply, I've found a couple of the mini-ITX psus on ebay that will fit the bill. About A$80 to get a new lease on life is reasonable to me, but it's backing up regularly for me from now on 🙂 

Thanks again,

Brett.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements