× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving Disks from ReadyNAS 104 to ReadyNAS 424

AlexLa
Follower

Moving Disks from ReadyNAS 104 to ReadyNAS 424

I need to move the disks from my ReadyNAS 104, 3 Disks with X-RAID and one Hot Spare to my new RN 424. The firmware of the RN 104 is the newest one. 

Can I just take the disks to the RN 424 without the risk of loosing data?

Thank You

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Moving Disks from ReadyNAS 104 to ReadyNAS 424

@AlexLa wrote:

Can I just take the disks to the RN 424 without the risk of losing data?

Yes, but it is always important to have a backup of the data (and that is particularly true when you are manipulating disks).  If you don't have a backup plan in place, you might consider re-purposing the RN104 as a backup device.  If you go that route, you are likely better off getting new disks for the RN424, and transfer the files over your network with backup jobs.  

But to simply migrate the disks:

You should insert a scratch (spare) disk in the RN424 first, and make sure it is running the same firmware you are running on the RN424. Then power down the RN424 and remove that disk.  

After that, uninstall any apps you are running on the RN104.  

Then power it down, and migrate the disks (preserving the slot order).  

Power up, and then reinstall any apps (using the x86 versions instead of the arm versions).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Moving Disks from ReadyNAS 104 to ReadyNAS 424

@AlexLa wrote:

Can I just take the disks to the RN 424 without the risk of losing data?

Yes, but it is always important to have a backup of the data (and that is particularly true when you are manipulating disks).  If you don't have a backup plan in place, you might consider re-purposing the RN104 as a backup device.  If you go that route, you are likely better off getting new disks for the RN424, and transfer the files over your network with backup jobs.  

But to simply migrate the disks:

You should insert a scratch (spare) disk in the RN424 first, and make sure it is running the same firmware you are running on the RN424. Then power down the RN424 and remove that disk.  

After that, uninstall any apps you are running on the RN104.  

Then power it down, and migrate the disks (preserving the slot order).  

Power up, and then reinstall any apps (using the x86 versions instead of the arm versions).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements