× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving drives to a new chassis

digicammad
Aspirant

Moving drives to a new chassis

Hi

I have an old model ReadyNAS, which only supports SMB1.  Due to the vulnerabilities this is no longer supported in Windows 10 and I am therefore wondering about replacing the chassis with a newer model.

Can somebody tell me whether there are any newer Netgear chassis with which the disks from my ReadyNAS NV+ v2 will be compatible?  The NAS is running in X-RAID2 mode.

Firmware is Raidiator 5.3.13

All help appreciated.

Ian

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Moving drives to a new chassis

The disk formatting isn't compatible with the OS-6 ReadyNAS that support SMB-3.  If you need to re-use the disks, you will need to offload the files to other storage.

Another option to consider is to get new disks with the new NAS, and then use the NV+ v2 for backup.  You can then disable SMB on the v2 altogether, and just use rsync for the backup jobs.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The disk formatting isn't compatible with the OS-6 ReadyNAS that support SMB-3.  If you need to re-use the disks, you will need to offload the files to other storage.

Another option to consider is to get new disks with the new NAS, and then use the NV+ v2 for backup.  You can then disable SMB on the v2 altogether, and just use rsync for the backup jobs.

Message 2 of 3
digicammad
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, sounds like a good plan.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements