× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My NAS went read-only, performing tests now, how long does Scrub take?

teddis
Aspirant

My NAS went read-only, performing tests now, how long does Scrub take?

I have multiple questions.

My RN214 (7.28 TB with (4) 2TB drives) went read-only as I performed a manual backup to a 5TB Seagate portable drive recently. It ran out of space near the end and stopped. For some reason during the backup process, RN marked the RAID as read-only. I have roughly 13% capacity left there. 

My first question: How can I restore read-write?

I started/completed a disk test which passed.

I then started a scrub which began on Jan 02, 2021 09:24:23 PM (PST) and has not finished yet (according to the log). This morning (Jan 5th) when I logged into admin page, the disks we're not spun up, so how is the scrub still running without the disks spun up?! Is this a ReadyNas SW bug? I'm using latest 6.10.4 version. 

Is there a way to get more detail of the scrub process and how long should it run?

I'd like to run balance and defrag also. Can I run these simultaneously with scrub?

Back to my first question, how can I restore RW to my NAS?

Thanks!

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 3
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

When a volume goes into read-only I would suspect the filesystem has encountered a problem (corruption possibly). Likely, a scrub would self-abort and isn't actually running anymore (despite the GUI saying so).

I think the prudent thing would be to check the logs. I can help take a look a current log-set for you, if you like. Might find something in there. Just download the cluster logs (System > Logs > Download Logs) and download the log zip file. Hereafter, upload that zip to a Google Drive, Dropbox or similar and PM me the link to download them. Don't post them publicly here.

A reboot will restore read-write but I would advise against that until you know what caused the read-only action in the first place.

Cheers

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

My experience is that if there is a corruption of the file system (which is likely here), it will, at best, go right back to read-only very quickly after re-boot.  At worst, you'll lose the volume.  So as to how to make the volume read-write again, you really don't want to.  What you want to do is accept that the OS has done you a favor and given you an opportunity to back up all your data before more damage can be done.  Then, see if you can determine a root cause (like a failing drive) and after either fixing that problem or seeing there is none, do a factory default and restore your data.  Anything less, and the problem will likely return again, at best just making it read-only.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements