× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N102 Doesn't boot after adding second HDD

KenPC
Aspirant

N102 Doesn't boot after adding second HDD

I have a 6TB drive inserted with my data on it. Configured with JBOD and X-RAID disabled. I have a 2TB HDD I want to insert to add to my pool of storage. When I boot up the NAS with the second HDD inserted, it never fully boots.

The power button flashes indefinately and RAIDar status is "starting up".

When I remove the empty 2TB drive it boots quickly just fine.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: N102 Doesn't boot after adding second HDD

You shouldn't format the drive before inserting it, you need to unformat it.  That is, remove all partitions.  The NAS can get confused if it sees two boot partitions.  But the fact that it's causing a reset of the NAS when hot inserted may indicate there is something actually wrong with the drive or that the NAS has insufficient power for both drives (which should not be the case, so something is wrong with the NAS. power brick., or drive).

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@KenPC

Welcome to the Community!

Is the 2TB drive a brand new drive? It might be best to try and reformat the drive first on a PC and then try reinserting it on the NAS. Checking it for errors might be best as well/

It's possible that the NAS get stuck on booting if the drive was used on another NAS or if the drive has errors.

HTH

Message 2 of 9
KenPC
Aspirant

The 2TB used to be the main drive of the nas. Working perfectly. I formatted it with dd if=/dev/urandom and created a partiton table with gparted.

I upgraded to the 6TB and planned on adding the 2 later. But adding the 2 seems impossible and no way to figure out why.

Message 3 of 9
KenPC
Aspirant

Also probably worth noting if it helps, The 2TB was removed from the NAS, then the NAS was reflashed using the USB recovery method so I could start from scratch.

After that, The 6TB was inserted, configured, and added my data back onto it.

Then after wiping and formatting the 2TB and trying to insert it, causes issues. But keeping the 6TB inserted only boots up fine and shows a healthy status.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@KenPC wrote:

Also probably worth noting if it helps, The 2TB was removed from the NAS, then the NAS was reflashed using the USB recovery method so I could start from scratch.

If the NAS was working properly, then the USB recovery wasn't needed - and it potentially can go wrong, so it's best not to use it unless it is needed. 

The NAS configuration is entirely on the disks.

Are you inserting the 2 TB drive with the NAS running?  If not, I suggest hot-inserting it next.  If the NAS recognizes it, then click on the format control on the volume page, then create a second jbod volume.

Message 5 of 9
KenPC
Aspirant

I've tried hot inserting it. causes a sudden reboot and unable to fully boot.

Pulling the power cord and inserting the drive causes the same result.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@KenPC wrote:

I've tried hot inserting it. causes a sudden reboot and unable to fully boot.

Maybe try 

• powering down the NAS
  • inserting the 6 TB drive in the second bay (leaving bay 1 empty)
  • powering up the NAS

and confirm that the NAS boots with a drive in the second bay.

If that works, then I suggest testing the 2 TB drive.  If you have a Windows PC, then connecting the drive to the PC (either SATA or USB adapter/dock) and using vendor tools (Lifeguard or Seatools) is best.  I normally run both the full non-destructive test and the full write/erase test - sometimes failed drives will pass one, but fail the other.

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

You shouldn't format the drive before inserting it, you need to unformat it.  That is, remove all partitions.  The NAS can get confused if it sees two boot partitions.  But the fact that it's causing a reset of the NAS when hot inserted may indicate there is something actually wrong with the drive or that the NAS has insufficient power for both drives (which should not be the case, so something is wrong with the NAS. power brick., or drive).

Message 8 of 9
KenPC
Aspirant

I feel stupid now. I had another Netgear branded power plug that is supposed to be for a dumb 4 port switch powering the NAS. I found the origional brick and plugged it in. All's fine now.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements