× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS: After normal powerup blue light flashes twice then nothing - No LAN LEDs - No HDD LEDs

that_guy
Aspirant

NAS: After normal powerup blue light flashes twice then nothing - No LAN LEDs - No HDD LEDs

NAS has been in service for for a few years. Disks have been in service for a few years. Was plugged into a UPS system, but the storm knocked power out longer than the battery lasted, so was abruptly shutdown. Since this has happened, unit when powered on the blue power button blinks like normal, you briefly see HDD1 light on for just a flash, the the activity light blinks, then once all the normal boot up routine ends, the blue power button blinks twice, then no more activity lights nor HDD1 or HDD2 lights ever.

Fan is spinning as normal
Blue power light after blinking two times after bootup routine, stays solid blue the remainder of the time

In addition -- No link or activity lights on LAN port 1 or LAN port 2. Completely dark.

I have lots of data on these drives I would like to preserve, and find it almost impossible that both drives died in tandem. The drives I'm using are:

Seagate Enterprise ST10000NM0086, both drives were purchased together and installed together.

Capacity: 10TB (each)

Ideas?

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
that_guy
Aspirant

Re: NAS: After normal powerup blue light flashes twice then nothing - No LAN LEDs - No HDD LEDs

@StephenB 

That worked! I'm in. Shares and volumes look in-tact.
You sir are a f***ing genius.
@netgearGive this person a promotion and a raise.
Dead serious. I've risen from the ashes.

Man, I'm about done with 2020. Not even safe working from home these days.

Re: Backup strategies, I'm assuming you had something in mind like online?
Care to offer up suggestion?
This is about 3-4 months of my life's work. I trusted it to Netgear and now glad I did. Got a bit bumpy there, and not going to lie was scared.
I want to be prepared 100% for future.

I was sure that a NAS, with UPS + Enterprise drives in RAID 1 was good enough.
I attached a screenshot here, so you can see, I don't run anything exotic on here, solely used for work, no apps.

Thanks again @StephenB you saved my bacon. If you're ever in the SW corner of Ohio. Lunch is on me mate.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 21

All Replies
that_guy
Aspirant

Re: NAS: After normal powerup blue light flashes twice then nothing - No LAN LEDs - No HDD LEDs

Here's a picture of the sticker on the bottom of the unit.
I've edited out the S/N# and MAC addresses, but can send original via email to support if needed.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 2 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

So, you have an UPS, but the NAS is not montitoring it so it can do a proper shut-down when the battery reaches critical charge?  That elimnates a big part of what an UPS does for a NAS.

What status does RAIDar give you?  What status does it give if you boot without the drives?

Message 3 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

1) Cheap UPS, 400W. Didn't do anything like that. It's now attached to a Cyberpower 900W UPS that does.
2) Cannot be seen with the newest RAIDar app from Desktoip
3) Without drives, it boots up similar, all up until the point where the blue light flashes twice, but instead of twice it flashes once - then goes dark. No lights on front at all - fan still spins - but no lights at all.

4) Tried also with 1 HDD, then 2HDD - same result as #3

Message 4 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@that_guy wrote:

2) Cannot be seen with the newest RAIDar app from Desktoip

did you also try this with the disks removed?

If RAIDar can't see it with the disks removed, then something went wrong with the chassis.

A USB recovery might bring it back.  https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Also, check the warranty status (5 years for the original purchaser).

@that_guy wrote:

I have lots of data on these drives I would like to preserve, and find it almost impossible that both drives died in tandem.

While it seems impossible, we have seen it here.  One aspect is that often users don't realize one of their drives had failed earlier.

I do suggest connecting them to a Windows PC (USB adapter/dock or SATA) and testing them with Seatools.

If you purchase (or get an RMA) of an x86 ReadyNAS you can directly migrate the disks.

There are also beta versions of mdadm and btrfs available for Windows that you could try - they should give you access to the files.

Message 5 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

Thank you!

I am going to try all these recommendations right now, I just wanted you to know that I saw this and am acknowledging it.
I will update my status when these three things have been accomplished.

1) RAIDar without disk detection
2) USB Recovery Tool
3) Try and hook to a computer with my SATA Dock
4) Check registration status on warrany. Yes, this was purchased new. I am the original owner. Disks were purchased separately (was not preloaded) I bought just the chassis.

My drives have a 10yr warranty. I just hope the data isn't gone. Being their enterprise-class, I doubt it's disk failure. I think this chassis is toast but will give all this a shot.

I also have another NAS, but I can't introduce them to that since it will format the disks. It's a much newer ASUSTor AS5304T 4-Bay.
Currently it has 4x 10TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro's in it. This Netgear was my project NAS for work, the ASUSTor is more of a family media sharing device.

Message 6 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@that_guy wrote:

My drives have a 10yr warranty. I just hope the data isn't gone. Being their enterprise-class, I doubt it's disk failure. 

While enterprise drives are designed for higher workloads, that doesn't mean they don't fail.  I'm not saying that it's the mostly likely failure - just that it does need to be ruled out.

Unexpected shutdowns can result in an out-of-sync array (due to lost disk writes).  But RAID-1 is less subject to that problem than other RAID modes, so if the disks are ok the odds of data loss should be slight.  You might consider putting a backup plan in place for the NAS when you get everything back (also for the Asus).  RAID isn't enough to protect the data.

BTW, Seagate warranty on your drives is normally 5 years, not 10. You can check the warranty status yourself here: https://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/ You will need the serial numbers.

@that_guy wrote:

I think this chassis is toast but will give all this a shot.

It sounds more like the chassis to me also (or maybe the power brick). 

However, an unplanned shutdown won't normally damage the NAS chassis.  A power surge could do that - and if it did, it might have damaged both the disks and the chassis.

Message 7 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

@StephenB

Step #2 worked!  A USB recovery might bring it back.  https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

I followed the directions to a "T" and it worked flawlesssly. Back up, solid blue light - both lights on HDD1 and HDD2 and CAN SEE it now in RAIDar. The "outage" might have corrupted the OS previously. It is now hooked to a much more advanced UPS system.

Checking work on here now as we speak to see if all shares are "in-tact"

Message 8 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Having problems with credentials now logging in through RADar
Web Browser
Or SMB over network seeing the unit by it's old name

I've tried the password I've used for months (not working)
I Googled the "deafult password" for Netgear ReadyNAS units, it's "supposed to be" --  password (doesn't work)
I've tried recovering my password in the browser window after clicking cancel, entering my email address (registered to product) and answering my private question but all I get is a spinning blue wheel. (Never gets past this wheel, and never receive an email)

The recovery question even being case sensitive is a name, so it would always be a capital letter.

Other ideas for this part or a different default password than "password" ?

UPDATE: Added a screenshot of blue wheel (blacked out sensitive data)

Message 9 of 21
StephenB
Guru

When you did the USB recovery, did you use the firmware currently on the NAS, or did you use something old?

@that_guy wrote:

Other ideas for this part or a different default password than "password" ?

You can try an OS reinstall from the front panel.  See pages 65-67 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf  

That will reset the password back to password.

Message 10 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Screenshot of what I see in RAIDar.
I downloaded the USB Tool and used the most recent image for x86 of Netgear's hosted files

(blacked out sensitive data)

Message 11 of 21
StephenB
Guru

That does look encouraging - though the password issue is unexplained.

If the Os reinstall doesn't fix it, then it'd be best to use per-incident paid netgear support (my.netgear.com).  Or try the beta mdadm/btrfs packages, and offload the data.

Message 12 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

@StephenB 

I realized I didn't answer your question
"When you did the USB recovery, did you use the firmware currently on the NAS, or did you use something old?"

I created a new image to a USB stick (one with an activity light on it)

Used the image from where the help file sent to me to use (most recent)
Performed the recovery on the front USB port

I just used Edge instead of Firefox, since with some IT things it works and some other browsers don't. I do get certificate errors trying to visit this device from both Firefox and Edge.

Message 13 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

@StephenB 

#YOLO

Trying a recovery from back USB port now

Message 14 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@that_guy wrote:

I just used Edge instead of Firefox, since with some IT things it works and some other browsers don't. I do get certificate errors trying to visit this device from both Firefox and Edge.

That is normal - the NAS uses self-signed certificates.  That does allow encryption, but a self-signed certificate inherently can't be verified - so the browsers will generate errors.  You can save a security exception in firefox - or just click through it.

Message 15 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Another restore, can see in RADar, I can see in browser if I type the IP, I can see it on my network by it's old name "Zeus"

Password after the second attempt (just tried 1 time)
Still DOES NOT work.

User: admin
Pass: password

It doesn't like the credentials.
Password reset doesn't work either, unless the recovery nuked my email address from the SMTP email settings.

At a loss here, got so close. Yet so far away.

[Everything is showing healthy in RAIDar]

Message 16 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@that_guy wrote:

Another restore, can see in RADar, I can see in browser if I type the IP, I can see it on my network by it's old name "Zeus"

Try the OS reinstall I suggested above.  That's not the same as the USB recovery.

Message 17 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

Is this "data safe?"

Which pages is it on? I hit the PDF up on the ReadyNAS model I own and didn't see anything on OS reinstall on specific model there. Just different ways to boot into different "bare metal" setups

Message 18 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@that_guy wrote:

Which pages is it on? I hit the PDF up on the ReadyNAS model I own and didn't see anything on OS reinstall on specific model there. Just different ways to boot into different "bare metal" setups

I already gave you a link to the hardware manual and gave you the pages.

@StephenB  wrote:

You can try an OS reinstall from the front panel.  See pages 65-67 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf  

Not sure what manual you were looking in, but the full manual set is here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RN312.aspx#docs

@that_guy wrote:

Is this "data safe?"

Yes.  Of course there is always some risk when there is damage, but this is designed to preserve your data.

The OS reinstall

1. does a partial reinstallation of the OS
  2. resets the network configuration to default (dhcp, no bonding, default MTU)
  3. turns off volume quota (easily re-enabled on the volume settings wheel)
  4. resets the admin password back to password.
Message 19 of 21
that_guy
Aspirant

@StephenB 

That worked! I'm in. Shares and volumes look in-tact.
You sir are a f***ing genius.
Dead serious. I've risen from the ashes.

Man, I'm about done with 2020. Not even safe working from home these days.

This is about 3-4 months of my life's work. I trusted it to Netgear and now glad I did. Got a bit bumpy there, and not going to lie was scared.

I was sure that a NAS, with UPS + Enterprise drives in RAID 1 was good enough.
I attached a screenshot here, so you can see, I don't run anything exotic on here, solely used for work, no apps.

Thanks again @StephenB you saved my bacon. If you're ever in the SW corner of Ohio. Lunch is on me mate.

Message 20 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@that_guy wrote:

To clarify - I don't work for them.  Superusers here are customers, not employees.

@that_guy wrote:

Note there are quite a few physical threats to your data - theft, fire, flood, and nearby lightning.  And of course user error and malware/ransomware.

There are a couple of options.  USB backup is one approach -using the built-in backup jobs in your NAS.  If you have enough storage, you could also consolidate everything (backing up everything from the primary NAS to the second one).  That's one thing I do myself.  If you turn off SMB on the secondary NAS, then that does give some insulation from malware.

Cloud backup could also be part of the mix - though it can be harder to set up, and backing up/restoring everything won't be very fast. I also use this for disaster recovery.  

@that_guy wrote:

I'm glad I was able to help (and that you recovered everything). 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements