× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS DUO System Failure

penyart
Aspirant

NAS DUO System Failure

I am new to supporting my NAS though I have had it for years. I just did the plug an dplay and moved movies and musing into the sytem, primarily. I have two 500GB 3.5" drives installed running Raid X.

This week the system began making un usual noises. I acessed thorugh the web interface and found that one of the disks reported a status of 
dead. I shut the systsem down, took a replacement drive and inserted it hoping for the best. Now the system will not even get online I just get a flashing blue light on the front.

Researching I am prepared to take the two old drives and use a Linux Reader and recover my data. I hope?

My biggest question is how do I know if the disk is bad or the netgear Duo is bad so I don't waste money buying hardware I don't need. No support from Netgear on that topic.

Thanks to anyone on providing my best steps to take.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
penyart
Aspirant

Re: NAS DUO System Failure

Thanks for all the help. I successfully added two new 1 B drives and am wokring at recovering the dta from the two 500GB drives I removed. I am also investigating the best backup system to this back up system using the USB backup funciton.

Thank you again!

Hope your year delivers you success and happiness

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello penyart,

Welcome to community!

The best way for you to check if the disk you removed is bad is to use diagnostic tools. After removing the suspected faulty disk, if the NAS is configured as XRAID/RAID1, you should be able to still get to your files without the replacement disk inserted and just one disk is left. Remember that one disk mirrors the other. The replacement disk you will insert should be with the same size and much better if same model/make of the still working disk.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
penyart
Aspirant

Thanks for the awesome response. My problem is that after inserting a new disk I cannot get the system back online. i just get a blue blinking light on the front of the NAS which research tells me means it is either booting up or shutting down.

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello penyart,

Is that a new disk that you inserted? No data nor partition?

Remove the replacement disk fist then backup the data while you still can. Then test the new disk too with diagnostic tools.

Is the replacement disk identical to the one left inserted?

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
penyart
Aspirant

thanks for the sec0ond timely response. I thought the new disk was the same but it was 1 TB versus 5 GB. But I then tried to shut down and put the original back in to try and not lose any more data. That is when the system fialed to restart and provide access via the network.

My current plan is to shut it down, work to recover as much data form both disks to a stand alone PC using some linux reader software and then re-assess the disks and NAS device.

Does that sound resasonable

Message 5 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello penyart,

What RAID level is it using?

If that is XRAID (RAID1 automatically on ReadyNAS Duo), you should be able to recover data without the failed disk leaving the one that is not reporting dead/faulty inserted.

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
penyart
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help. I successfully added two new 1 B drives and am wokring at recovering the dta from the two 500GB drives I removed. I am also investigating the best backup system to this back up system using the USB backup funciton.

Thank you again!

Hope your year delivers you success and happiness

Message 7 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi penyart,

We're glad that everything worked out well. I hope that you will share ideas and contribute to the NETGEAR community.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements