× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS Pro 6 on OS 6 network dropout

babeal
Aspirant

NAS Pro 6 on OS 6 network dropout

I know i'm unsupported but I wanted to check here to see if anyone is experiencing or has experienced the same issue.  I upgraded my Pro 6 to OS 6.9.1.  The nas runs fine but once a week the system no longer responds to network requests.  If I hold the power button to get the system to shutdown, it will enter into shutdown mode but will not complete the operation.  If i then kill the power and turn it back on everything works again for another week.  I have checked the logs and I can't find anything that would suggest there is a problem.  There are just no entries during the time it is unavailable.  Any thoughts?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6310v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Does it always happen at the same day/time?

Message 2 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can send me a copy of your logs if you like (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 3 of 29
babeal
Aspirant

I don’t think so but I really haven’t been keeping track. I can start paying attention to it. What would the timing be related to?
Message 4 of 29
babeal
Aspirant

I sent the logs.  The time it occurred last was around this time Feb 26 18:52:13

Message 5 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see you're running the Transmission app. Are you using any other apps?

Which services are you running?

Message 6 of 29
babeal
Aspirant

Just transmission. I just recently upgraded a couple of months ago and was waiting to see how it performed before I really did anything with it.
Message 7 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So, which services are you running?

Message 8 of 29
babeal
Aspirant

Do you mean like afp, nfs, HTTP? Or is there another list?
Message 9 of 29
bedlam1
Prodigy

Yes that is exactly what @mdgm-ntgr is asking you

Message 10 of 29
babeal
Aspirant

SMB

AFP

UPNP

HTTP

HTTPS

ReadyDLNA

SSH

All other ones are turned off. 

Message 11 of 29
babeal
Aspirant

So i got back from a business trip turned the unit on and then it worked for a day but now I am getting the boot to "ReadyNas" screen.  It's strange that it auto boots when i flick the power switch on and doesn't need me to press the power button on the front.  I tried holding the boot menu (reset) switch at the back but nothing happens.  I tried every thing in previous posts like removing all the disks as well.  There are a couple of posts mentioning something about a usb stick but all of those links are dead.  Is there a usb method to try?

Message 12 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Try powering down and removing the disks (labeling  by slot number).

Then boot up, and run RAIDar on a PC.  Let us know if RAIDar detects the NAS and reports a "no disks" status.

https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 13 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

Try @StephenB's suggestion first. If it does boot w/o drives, we may have additional tests for further diagnostics.

But you may be having power supply problems where glitches were initially causing small problems and it has gotten worse to the point of not booting.  For it to display "ReadyNAS", all it takes is +5V power.

Message 14 of 29
babeal
Aspirant

I'm just getting the "RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network".  Both the cpu and main fan are on but the power supply fan has stopped so the power supply might be the culprit.  

Message 15 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@babeal wrote:

so the power supply might be the culprit.  

It sounds like it.  As @Sandshark says, the LCD only needs 5 volts.

You can replace the PSU fairly inexpensively.

Message 16 of 29
babeal
Aspirant

Is there an easy button?  Or is it the seasonic and snip snip connectors and use hot glue gun method?

Message 17 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Hopefully @Sandshark will chime in.  You might well need to modify the cable lengths and possibly adapt sata power to molex - but you won't need to change to change the pinout with a pro-6.

Message 18 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

You can buy the Seasonic or another SFX form factor supply and a 24-pin 6 inch ATX extender, which is much better than a snip-snip of the cable.  I generally also move the 3 90° 4-pin Molex connectors to the new supply and shorten those cables, as it makes for a cleaner fit with no chance of the fan hitting the wires.  If you have an existing ATX supply hanging around, you can just use that externally to verify a new supply is the answer.

Message 19 of 29
chainlinc
Guide

My power just failed at the 61-month mark of the 60-month warranty (power supply serial CR10A90120844). I tried to call Netgear to buy a replacement, but they appear to want money before they will begin a conversation. The original Seasonic SS-300SFD (300 watt) power supply is unavailable in North America and is deemed end-of-life by Seasonic. It's rated outputs are:

+3.3V, 20A

+5v, 20A

+12V1, 8A

+12V2, 14.5A

-12V, 0.8A

+5Vs, 2A

I understand that I could possibly use any (300 watt or greater) SFX-form factor power supply, but which of the amp values are critical? I currently run 4 hard drives, but want to be able to expant to 6 if needed. Different power supplies have varying amp - output levels. I know it does not matter if the power supply exceeds any of the above individual amp ratings, but what if, for example, the +3.3V is only 18A, while the +5V is 21A? Is the +3.3V amp rating of 20A critical for the ReadyNAS Pro? What about the amp ratings of the other voltages - which are critical for this system?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 20 of 29
babeal
Aspirant

Noooo thats no good.  Please let me know what you uncover and buy.  

@chainlinc wrote:

My power just failed at the 61-month mark of the 60-month warranty (power supply serial CR10A90120844). I tried to call Netgear to buy a replacement, but they appear to want money before they will begin a conversation. The original Seasonic SS-300SFD (300 watt) power supply is unavailable in North America and is deemed end-of-life by Seasonic. It's rated outputs are:

+3.3V, 20A

+5v, 20A

+12V1, 8A

+12V2, 14.5A

-12V, 0.8A

+5Vs, 2A

I understand that I could possibly use any (300 watt or greater) SFX-form factor power supply, but which of the amp values are critical? I currently run 4 hard drives, but want to be able to expant to 6 if needed. Different power supplies have varying amp - output levels. I know it does not matter if the power supply exceeds any of the above individual amp ratings, but what if, for example, the +3.3V is only 18A, while the +5V is 21A? Is the +3.3V amp rating of 20A critical for the ReadyNAS Pro? What about the amp ratings of the other voltages - which are critical for this system?

Message 21 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

I haven't measured the currents on the lines, but I wouldn't expect the 3,3V to be the driving factor for the choice of a 300W supply for the ReadyNAS -- it's the 12V for hard drives.  While SSD's use 5V for their prime power, I doubt they add enough demand for that to be that critical, either.  The Siverstone SST45SF-V3 450W Supply looks to me to be a good alternative, though I've not tried one.  It does have ony 2 4-pin MOLEX connectors, so you'll have to use a SATA to 4-pin adapter or move a connector from the old to the new to connect to all three connectors on the SATA backplane, but that's going to be the case with most current supplies.  The Silverstone SST-ST30SF 300W would likely work as well, but the small price difference ($10 difference on Amazon) makes me lean toward the one with higher ratings.

Message 22 of 29
firefly_242
Aspirant

Hi,

am expericing the same issue as babeal with my Pro Pioneer. Upgrade to 6.9.0 first and happy with it. But from time to time the storage is not reacting anymore. this happens at different intervals. Shortest was 1 day, longest 2 weeks. Logs are not showing anything useful.

currently on 6.9.3 and still face the issue. Also noticed that after several months the volume is not recognized anymore and I need to reinstall the system. Happened twice till now. last time was 2 days ago.

Just did a new install 2 days ago. ongoing restore of data.

Would be great to know why the system is behaving like this and how to solve it. Will have to wait to the system hangs again to upload logs.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 23 of 29
chainlinc
Guide

Original Power specsOriginal Power specs

Replacement Power specsReplacement Power specsOptional cable (I did not use)Optional cable (I did not use)Original Power fanOriginal Power fanReplacement Power fanReplacement Power fanWorks without cable extenderWorks without cable extenderFinished installFinished installCable exit is differentCable exit is differentI ended up replacing the original SeaSonic SS-300SFD power supply with a SeaSonic SS-300SFB. I did not end up using the cable extender that I purchased. The new fan is flush and does not protrude like the original did. I have been running a week and all of the intermittent problems (before the full failure) have so far gone away. There was slow network, slow web interface, failed scheduled backups, but they were intermittent, often a reboot would make them go away for a time - now I think they may have been caused not by bad firmware nor by bad settings, nor by bad network infrastructure, but by a failing power supply. 

Message 24 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

Does the fan on the SeaSonic SS-300SFB line up well enough with the rear panel?  From pictures I've seen on the internet, it doesn't seem as centered as on the SS-300SFD.  Maybe when your pictures are approved by a moderator and become visible, all will be revealed.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements