× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS Raidar showing flashing yellow light on drive 1

ldyork
Aspirant

NAS Raidar showing flashing yellow light on drive 1

I had a power supply connector burn up at the chassis connection on this unit and upon replacing it and checking things out I notice drive 1 status light in the Raidar app is blinking yellow.  I think the unit needed cleaning and overheatedI but I'm not sure.  I assume the blinking yellow light means the drive is failing but can't find much in the documentation other than the drive has failed or needs attention.  The panel light associated with the same drive is blinking steadily and the activity light is blinking also much like it's syncing data.  I can see the data from the unit on my desktop.  Can someone tell me if the drive with the blinking yellow light is failing for sure.  What does the light look like if the disk is syncing? 

Model: RND2210|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ldyork
Aspirant

Volume status shows it's in recovery and about 80% done.  Logs show it has had random errors over the last 3 months and half a dozen failures to contact smtp server which probably explains why I never got a notification it was in trouble.  I plan to replace the disk but I wanted to Replace it with a Seagate ST31000340NS but a note says if the firmware level is SN03 or SN04 I have to use Raidiator 4.01.  The version I was going to buy is at level SN05.  Does that mean I have to use 4.01?  Currently using 5.3.13  Not even sure 4.01 is compatible with this NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Try hovering your mouse over the drive icon, that should give you more status.

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

So, it's telling you to log into the admin GUI and check more than RAIDar can show you.  Look both at interactive indications and the log.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

So, it's telling you to log into the admin GUI and check more than RAIDar can show you.  Look both at interactive indications and the log.

That of course is a good idea.  Though you will see resync status if you hover the mouse over the disk icon in RAIDar.

Message 4 of 10
ldyork
Aspirant

Volume status shows it's in recovery and about 80% done.  Logs show it has had random errors over the last 3 months and half a dozen failures to contact smtp server which probably explains why I never got a notification it was in trouble.  I plan to replace the disk but I wanted to Replace it with a Seagate ST31000340NS but a note says if the firmware level is SN03 or SN04 I have to use Raidiator 4.01.  The version I was going to buy is at level SN05.  Does that mean I have to use 4.01?  Currently using 5.3.13  Not even sure 4.01 is compatible with this NAS.

Message 5 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

If the compatibility list says you need RAIDiator 4.01 (which should say "or greater"), you are looking at the wrong list (for the Duo, where yours is a DuoV2 if it runs OS5.x).  But the compatibility lists for the legacy models have not been updated in years, so don't think you need to stick with those older model drives.  It is recommended you stay away from "green" drives, and NAS purposed and enterprise drives are best.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But the compatibility lists for the legacy models have not been updated in years, so don't think you need to stick with those older model drives.  It is recommended you stay away from "green" drives, and NAS purposed and enterprise drives are best.

Normally I recommend NAS-purposed drives for your particular NAS.  That includes Seagate Ironwolf and Western Digital Reds.

Message 7 of 10
ldyork
Aspirant

Disk has recovered but now showing a solid yellow light on Raidar so I will be replacing it.  I contacted Seagate for a recommendation on an Ironwolf replacement for the current drive but they said there wasn't a Ironwolf drive with matching specs.  I ordered a compatible  WD Enterprise level drive and will replace the failing drive when it arrives.   Appreciate everyone's response to my problem.

Message 8 of 10
ldyork
Aspirant

UPDATE:  Drive is showing green status with no errors.  Fixed alert smtp message problem.  TLS was not turned on.  Will monitor and install replacement drive if problems develop.  No idea what caused power supply to fail the way it did but the connector did appear to have been under physical stress where it plugged into the chassis.

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Glad to hear.

Note to Netgear hardware engineers:

The original Duo had a recessed power connection, which was a good idea.  It made it virtually impossible to bump into and stress the connector.  The DuoV2 and many others of the same form factor don't have that.  Using a 90° connector on the power supply cable would not do quite as much as the recess, but would help a lot.  Adding a retaining strap with it would further help eliminate stress and inadvertent disconnection from pulling the cable

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements