× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS asking for password to execute items

jefffriend
Aspirant

NAS asking for password to execute items

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS 316 which has worked flawlessly for the last 3 years. First up:

PC:

Windows 10 64bit 20H2 - Fully up to date

NAS:

Firmware Version 6.10.4 (reinstalled last night)

6 X 6TB HDDs = 27TB

5 shared folders

Recently, my NAS is asking for network credentials when I try to run any app on my NAS box - EG: System Information For Windows asks for permission to run (due to it requiring elevation) and then after I click yes, I get prompted for "Enter Network Credentials", I put them in and it pops back up. Even with UAC turned off, I still get the prompt.

I can open up documents, text files, excel spreadsheets, PDFs all with no problem. I can open apps on the NAS that do not require elevation in order to run. But ANY app that requires elevation brings up the prompt. I can copy the app, eg SIW mentioned above, to my local HDD and run it fine. This only happens on the NAS box.

I have changed the password on my NAS account to ensure it was correct. I can map the drive OK, so I know it is fine. Just running apps is an issue. I have 4TB free and do not have a spare 25TB lying around to do a backup to...

Has anyone seen this before?

Model: RN31664E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I'm not seeing that on my system (running 6.10.4).

Does accessing the share using the NAS admin credentials result in the same behavior?

Message 2 of 10
jefffriend
Aspirant

Yes. Even ticking allow anonymous access asks for credentials.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@jefffriend wrote:

Even ticking allow anonymous access asks for credentials.

Windows is much stricter about anonymous access than it used to be.

Do you have internet security installed?  I'm not seeing this problem with I run executables hosted on the NAS with elevated privilege.

Message 4 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It's not the NAS asking, it's Windows, as a security measure to verify you are on the server you think you are.  I suspect there is a way to shut it off, but I don't typically run executables from  my NAS other than installers, so I've not looked into it.  Google searching brings up all kinds of old, unhelpful stuff.  I don't know if it also happens if you have stored the credentials for the NAS in the Windows Credentials Manager, as I do not.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It's not the NAS asking, it's Windows

Agreed that it's not the NAS. 

@Sandshark wrote:

I don't know if it also happens if you have stored the credentials for the NAS in the Windows Credentials Manager, as I do not.

I do have the admin credential stored, and I am not seeing it.  But like you I don't have many programs to test it with.  Are you seeing it on your system?

@jefffriend:  Have you tested this with other programs, or just SIW? Are you launching the programs from a mapped drive?

If the software you are running is trying to access its local directory, it might well be denied access - esp. if you are running it from a mapped drive.

Message 6 of 10
jefffriend
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

It's not the NAS asking, it's Windows

Agreed that it's not the NAS. 

@Sandshark wrote:

I don't know if it also happens if you have stored the credentials for the NAS in the Windows Credentials Manager, as I do not.

I do have the admin credential stored, and I am not seeing it.  But like you I don't have many programs to test it with.  Are you seeing it on your system?

@jefffriend:  Have you tested this with other programs, or just SIW? Are you launching the programs from a mapped drive?

If the software you are running is trying to access its local directory, it might well be denied access - esp. if you are running it from a mapped drive.

Yes, it is a mapped drive. It has worked perferctly for 3 years. It only happens on executables that require elevation in UAC. Any install file requires it. But an app that does not require elevation has no problem. Data files do not require it and do ot get the password request.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@jefffriend wrote:

Yes, it is a mapped drive.

No idea what might have changed, but you might want to try this: http://woshub.com/how-to-access-mapped-network-drives-from-the-elevated-apps/

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

@jefffriend wrote:

Yes, it is a mapped drive. It has worked perferctly for 3 years. It only happens on executables that require elevation in UAC. Any install file requires it. But an app that does not require elevation has no problem. Data files do not require it and do ot get the password request.

This is a recent change in Windows.  I don't recall if it was in v2004 or v20H2, as I was not on v2004 for very long.   I first noticed it setting up a new computer for my daughter, but I'd already updated it to v20H2.  I'm still running OS 6.9.6 on my NAS, so there is no ReadyNAS OS change that goes hand-in-hand with it.

Message 9 of 10
jefffriend
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@jefffriend wrote:

Even ticking allow anonymous access asks for credentials.

Windows is much stricter about anonymous access than it used to be.

Do you have internet security installed?  I'm not seeing this problem with I run executables hosted on the NAS with elevated privilege.

I do not have Internet Security, only Norton Antivirus. I have found that Norton Internet Security turns any computer into a 286.

I did a test, I created a local administrator account and logged in, the problem dissappeared. Logged back on under my normal account, bang, it is back.

It is something in my account. Checked secpol and account policies and got the elevation turned off, but still asking for password.

It has been time for a few weeks to rebuild my PC anyway 🙂

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements