× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS not available via network after replacing degraded HD

Rinzler
Aspirant

NAS not available via network after replacing degraded HD

I have a RR2312 that I've been using for a few years now. The UI alerted me that I had a degraded Harddrive, so I powered down the unit, replaced the hard drive with a new same size, closed up everything and flipped it back on. I understand that it takes some time for things to rebuild but, the unit has not poppped back up on my network, the fans are at full speed and it has been running like this for over 1 week. I'm not sure what to do from here. I don't want to power the unit off and on when I don't know what state it is in, and I do not want to lose my data so I've been waiting with the impression it just needs time to rebuild and then come back online. But, after this long of time waited, I'm afraid that something is not right. If the UI was available to give me some sort of progress, that would be great. but I have no access. I had a 1 HD redudancy setup and have replaced HD before with no issue. 

PLZ help. 

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Rinzler wrote:

... The web UI should always be available if the unit is on. 

Well, there are some scenarios where that might not be possible.  For instance, if the failed drive locks up the SATA bus.

Were you replacing disk 1?  Normally that's what the system will boot from.

@Rinzler wrote:

I powered down the unit and, and this time removed the new HD and powered the unit back on... and it's now back online in the state it was in before with it showing the main volume as degraded. So this is good progress as I have something to work with. New HD is most likely DOA. 

Great.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Rinzler

Welcome to the Community!

Have you checked RAIDar regarding the status of the NAS? RAIDar not detecting the NAS means it's not connected to your Network. You may want to check I would advise to contact Support at this time since it involves data.

Regards

Message 2 of 9
Rinzler
Aspirant

Update: so I did try the RAIDar and that was no success. However, crossing my fingers, I powered down the unit and, and this time removed the new HD and powered the unit back on... and it's now back online in the state it was in before with it showing the main volume as degraded. So this is good progress as I have something to work with. New HD is most likely DOA. 

Which leads to a request from Netgear. More or any info via the system would have been really helpful. Perhaps my new HD was DOA that caused this (thats my main speculation) -- but with no data from the system helping me understand whats going on, i'm stuck. With lots of valuble data on the system, the last thing I want to do is to be powering the unit off and on via the front button (hard power down), and randomly pulling Hard drives without know what happening. Thats the best way to lose all your data. If the HD is bad, or there is an issue, why cant the UI be available and tell me that? The web UI should always be available if the unit is on. 

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Rinzler wrote:

... The web UI should always be available if the unit is on. 

Well, there are some scenarios where that might not be possible.  For instance, if the failed drive locks up the SATA bus.

Were you replacing disk 1?  Normally that's what the system will boot from.

@Rinzler wrote:

I powered down the unit and, and this time removed the new HD and powered the unit back on... and it's now back online in the state it was in before with it showing the main volume as degraded. So this is good progress as I have something to work with. New HD is most likely DOA. 

Great.

Message 4 of 9
Rinzler
Aspirant

I feel like there have been a number of times when building volumes and raids that the UI has not been always avaialble, but not enought o warrent any concern. Not until this issue. 

I was replacing drive 6. That bay is empty now and the system is responsive. 

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Netgear does not stess enough that the proper way to replace a drive is with the power on.  That way, the NAS never has to come back up, it's just still running, and you can see what's going on in the log.

Message 6 of 9
Rinzler
Aspirant

Interesting, I didn't know that was the proper method. Is this hot swap method suggested for all Netgear NAS units or just certain ones? 

any hints on where that is listed in the documentation? 

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Rinzler wrote:

Is this hot swap method suggested for all Netgear NAS units or just certain ones? 

I recommend it for all models.  One benefit is that the system will detect the disk removal and insertion, so there is no need for it to try and figure out if there are different disks installed.

The manual doesn't spell this out, but the datasheets say "hot swappable drives": https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/RR3312-4312.pdf

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

I recommend it for all models.  One benefit is that the system will detect the disk removal and insertion, so there is no need for it to try and figure out if there are different disks installed.

Agreed, and it also tells you what it's detecting/doing:  Removal of drive, insertion of drive, start of re-sync.  Much more peace of mind than sitting there seeing if it's gonna boot.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements