× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS recommendation

jaykeck
Aspirant

NAS recommendation

I'm looking for a NAS that has
1) 2 network ports with a builtin switch
2) NFS support
3) 1TB of storage or so

The 2 network connections are so we can set up a peer to peer connection with tool sending data in case customer network goes down, as well as belong to customer's network.

Any recommendations?
Regards,
Jay
Message 1 of 13
dbott67
Guide

Re: NAS recommendation

jaykeck wrote:

None of the ReadyNAS devices offer a built-in switch, however, the ReadyNAS Pro offers dual ethernet ports. The 2 ports can be used for bonding, fail-over or connecting to 2 separate subnets (via static routes).

More info here: http://www.readynas.com/wp-content/uplo ... eaming.pdf

jaykeck wrote:
2) NFS support

All models support NFS protocol, as well as CIFS/SMF, AFP, FTP, HTTP/S and rsync. There's also support for iSCSI and TimeMachine. The Pro models also offer support for active directory.

jaykeck wrote:
3) 1TB of storage or so

Again, all models have the capability to support well over 1 TB of storage. Volume size depends on size and number of disks.

Are you looking for rack-mount or desktop chassis? Do you need Windows Active Directory integration? For desktop models, take a look at the ReadyNAS Pro 4. For rack-mount, have a look at the 2100 or 3100:

http://www.readynas.com/?cat=96
Message 2 of 13
sphardy1
Apprentice

jaykeck wrote:
I'm looking for a NAS that has

I would suggest you describe more what it is you are trying to achieve - having never seen such a requirement before, nor being aware of any non-networking equipment with such a feature, the term "builtin switch" may not mean to others what it means to you
Message 3 of 13
jaykeck
Aspirant

Great, thanks! This would be somethng that we would want to slide inside the skins(shell) of a large tool, so it's more the size that is the concern rather than if it is rack mountable or not.
I'll check out your recommendations.
Regards,
Jay
Message 4 of 13
jaykeck
Aspirant

Sorry, I didn't see your last post asking for use case desccription. We have tools that generate data and then want to offload that data to an external system. These tools use various OS's, so that's why the NFS is a must. These tools must always be up, they can't go down even if the network goes down, their data can be buffered on the NAS until the network comes back up, but it can't be lost(or even worse the tool s/w crash due to a write error). This is why we're looking for something with 2 network ports, we can assign a subnet between tool and NAS to have a point to point connection independent of customer's network status.
We currently have a box that does all of this, but it was an in-house developed thing of taking an over the counter NAS and removing it's guts and putting it into our shell that has the 2 network connections and switch. Our 1st rev of this served us well, but the 2nd rev has had nothing but troubles and we don't have the in-house staffing anymore to come up with a rev 3.

Hope this helps.
Jay
Message 5 of 13
sphardy1
Apprentice

If I understand correctly, all ReadyNAS devices with 2 ports would support your requirement as each port can be configured independently and so sit on a different subnet eg 1 for the tools, and one for the backend network
Message 6 of 13
jaykeck
Aspirant

Yes, that was the impression I got from your last post, which would be great. From a price standpoint I'd proably be looking at the Pro 2, we're trying to minimize cost since there would be one per tool. Ssince this data is purely transient we don't need backups etc, just a good reliable drive and performance. I'll talk with marketing and see what they're thinking for a COGS for this feature.
Thanks much for the help on this!
Regards,
Jay
Message 7 of 13
sphardy1
Apprentice

One thought however - if the tools are on a dedicated subnet, using the ReadyNAS in this manner would not enable direct communication to the tool from the backend network.

If such a capability is required you would have to look at installing a dedicated switch with the NAS. The price of that though is small compared to the NAS + Disks
Message 8 of 13
rogega
Aspirant

try http://www.nasreview.org/find/1TB

personally, i will get at least 2 bay+4TB these days but of course it's dependent on budget as well 🙂
Message 9 of 13
interested
Tutor

Message 10 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

Interesting. They did not, however, apparently test any new 6 bay units. Clicking to include the Archives, and filtering only Netgear, they do not have any new 6 bay unit listed. They show the old Pro, second fastest when including archive units, which should be the same speed as the current Ultra 6 Plus and of course the new Pro 6 should be faster still.

Finding their review of the Pro 4, they used the RNDP4410 model and tested it with Raid 0, 5 and 10. The read/write speeds in Raid 5 are higher than what they post in the charts.
Message 11 of 13
rogega
Aspirant

try this http://www.nasreview.org/find or http://www.nasreview.org/compare
Message 12 of 13
interested
Tutor

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats