× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS suggestions

BladeTurbo1973
Aspirant

NAS suggestions

Hi All, I am thinking about buying a NAS device to replace a laptop which runs my plex media server (and not very well i might add). However, i am confused on which model to buy. right now i have about 8tb of media i ripped to add to my plex server. I was looking at the NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN214 and 4x Seagate 4TB IronWolf (ST4000VN008). I wouldlike to know if this will work before i drop alot of money down.

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@BladeTurbo1973 wrote:

I was looking at the NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN214 and 4x Seagate 4TB IronWolf (ST4000VN008). I wouldlike to know if this will work before i drop alot of money down.

It will work, but the real-time transcoding performance could be a bottleneck for you.  It can manage one 1080p to SD transcoding, but can't handle more.  You'd need an RN62x series to handle UHD transcoding (which of course is a big price jump over the RN200 series).

FWIW, I'd start with 3x6TB drives, which gives you the same volume size but also one expansion slot.  It would cost a bit more up front (about $80 at current Amazon pricing), but keeping one slot open for future expansion is definitely cheaper later on.

Note that the larger ironwolf drives don't have the side mounting holes, so you will need to remove the plastic inserts in the disk trays, and screw the drives into the bottom.  Newer trays will have the correct mounting holes on the bottom, but it is possible that the trays you receive might not have all the holes in the right position.   You'd still be able to screw them in.

WDC Reds don't have this particular problem, as they still do have the side mounting holes.

Message 2 of 3
BladeTurbo1973
Aspirant

thank you for the advice.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements