× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS that allows cloud access and backup to remote duov1

BrookHampton
Aspirant

NAS that allows cloud access and backup to remote duov1

I have a Readynas duo v1. I would like to setup Dropbox like features and readynas remote is missing some important features for the average user in our office.

I bought a great program for the ipad called FileBrowser by stratospherix. It allows me to access my ReadyNAS, Dropbox, box, local machines all from one program and move files between. Works local and over 3G/4g but does not seem to work from a remote residential location that accesses the Internet via a cable router. The thought is they are blocking outgoing port 445. I am not sure how to get around this issue and Stratospherix suggested I create a VPN connection to my NAS. My provider is Optimum Cable. If I am missing something as to why I cann access port 445 thru 4g but not from home thru my Internet connection I would greatly appreciate that fix.

My research on setting up a VPN on my duo V1 takes me out of my comfort zone. I am afraid these community addons may cause issues I can not recover frame. If that is not the case I would appreciate direction. I use this NAS as my primary storage and can not afford downtime or loss of access.

My goal. Cloud access to my NAS for the staff of my office on mobile, pdf and Mac. Also backup of the NAS to another NAS, possibly remote but it could be local in a locked closet. I have a readynas duo v1 and a netgear Stora that is currently unused.

I find Dropbox for teams and egnyte very expensive and would rather spend a one time fee for a NAS than costly monthly fees.

I run a real estate office that may need 20-30 users with most barely using the system and some using it daily.

Any advice is appreciated.
Message 1 of 7
gibxxi
Guide

All that should be required is getting to the "Port Forwarding" area in your router's admin interface and forward the required port, to the required IP address on the local network at the remote location. The cable router that the Duo sits behind will block any incoming unsolicited connections, as with any router. Outgoing connections from the Duo won't be blocked. Nor will return connections initiated by an initial outgoing connection on the same port (from the duo end).

But even setting up a VPN would require router configuration, and would take more time to set up than simple port forwarding. The only question is then do you have ownership of all the kit at the remote location to perform the required change?
Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Personally I would not forward port 445 (SMB over IP), as I think that is difficult to secure. Also I suspect many ISPs and firewalls will block that port anyway.

There are other ipad applications that include FTP access - goodreader is one of several. You'd need to configure a passive port range on the duo, and forward the control port and the passive ports in your router.
Message 3 of 7
gibxxi
Guide

The other option depends on the features of the software your using. ReadyNAS remote on the desktop lists the remote NAS using an IP address beginning with a 5.x.x.x address range. While this isn't overly advertised in the ReadyNAS Remote software until you connect directly to the remote NAS, it would be possible to use the IP address ReadyNAS remote uses when connected to the remote NAS and add this IP address into your chosen software. The only thing I don't know (because I've never paid much attention to it) is whether this IP address is dynamic or static. If it's dynamic you would have to keep updating the configuration each time ReadyNAS Remote (re)connects at either end which may not be desirable.

This is a private VPN of sorts, and assuming both host NAS, and Remote NAS are both set up to use it with the required users added, works the same as a VPN you'd set-up yourself. It's already encrypted so is less risky than the first method.

Dropbox isn't available on the Duo V1 (And I'd wager never will be). There is the "OwnCloud" add-on that does work for the Duo, that works like DropBox but without the central server, but I don't know much about it.

There's Also ReadyNAS Vault and Replicate, but I don't think Replicate works with the Duo, and both are fee supported / purchased products.
Message 4 of 7
BrookHampton
Aspirant

"All that should be required is getting to the "Port Forwarding" area in your router's admin interface and forward the required port, to the required IP address on the local network at the remote location. The cable router that the Duo sits behind will block any incoming unsolicited connections, as with any router. Outgoing connections from the Duo won't be blocked. Nor will return connections initiated by an initial outgoing connection on the same port (from the duo end).

But even setting up a VPN would require router configuration, and would take more time to set up than simple port forwarding. The only question is then do you have ownership of all the kit at the remote location to perform the required change?"

I have access to everything. I did forward port 445 to the ReadyNAS and as I mentioned it works over 3g/4g but not from cable provided access from remote locations.

"Personally I would not forward port 445 (SMB over IP), as I think that is difficult to secure. Also I suspect many ISPs and firewalls will block that port anyway.

There are other ipad applications that include FTP access - goodreader is one of several. You'd need to configure a passive port range on the duo, and forward the control port and the passive ports in your router."

I use FTP on the go pro on ipad and readynas reote on PCs. ReadyNAS Remote iphone/ipad app has limited functions. Need to be able to open in another program. Strtospherix FileBrowser is about the best cloud access app I have seen. It works over 4g with my readynas but again the internet providers are blocking port 445 so my ipad users without 3g capability are blocked.

"The other option depends on the features of the software your using. ReadyNAS remote on the desktop lists the remote NAS using an IP address beginning with a 5.x.x.x address range. While this isn't overly advertised in the ReadyNAS Remote software until you connect directly to the remote NAS, it would be possible to use the IP address ReadyNAS remote uses when connected to the remote NAS and add this IP address into your chosen software. The only thing I don't know (because I've never paid much attention to it) is whether this IP address is dynamic or static. If it's dynamic you would have to keep updating the configuration each time ReadyNAS Remote (re)connects at either end which may not be desirable.

This is a private VPN of sorts, and assuming both host NAS, and Remote NAS are both set up to use it with the required users added, works the same as a VPN you'd set-up yourself. It's already encrypted so is less risky than the first method.

Dropbox isn't available on the Duo V1 (And I'd wager never will be). There is the "OwnCloud" add-on that does work for the Duo, that works like DropBox but without the central server, but I don't know much about it.

There's Also ReadyNAS Vault and Replicate, but I don't think Replicate works with the Duo, and both are fee supported / purchased products." This is very interesting.... where would you start in trying to implement this on an ipad?
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

BrookHampton wrote:
Need to be able to open in another program. Strtospherix FileBrowser is about the best cloud access app I have seen. It works over 4g with my readynas but again the internet providers are blocking port 445 so my ipad users without 3g capability are blocked.
Well, I think they are blocking 445 for extremely good reasons. There's been security vulnerabilities here for many years now.
[quote="http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-blocked-ports/":38a5e13a]Port 445 is vulnerable to attacks, exploits and malware such as the Sasser and Nimda worms.[/quote:38a5e13a]
And here: http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=445

In any event, ISPs blocking 445 is outside of your control. You might try goodreader as an alternative for WiFi connections.

BrookHampton wrote:
...This is very interesting.... where would you start in trying to implement this on an ipad?
I'm not sure what is interesting exactly. If you mean OwnCloud, there are mobile apps already available for IOS and Android. (https://owncloud.com/overview/mobileapps) I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a try.
Message 6 of 7
gibxxi
Guide

There is also Ajaxplorer which has apps available for iOS, Android and PC. It's also configurable and accessible via a standard web browser. It also accepts (and can be forced to accept only) SSL connections. Best of all it's available on the Duo.

I can't vouch for the desktop app because I've never used it. But the iOS app works fine for me. It serves as a replacement for me for ReadyNAS Remote (due to the former's limited functionality, and ongoing issues).

It's not the easiest thing in the world to set up, and does have prerequisites (PHP being one), but once it is set up, it works. You can also specify permissions for individual users derived on the server app. It doesn't link accounts made within to ReadyNAS accounts tho, however you can still integrate those home shares with Ajaxplorer accounts with a bit of fiddling.

The current add-on in the Sparc add-ons section isn't as up-to-date as the x86 version. Since Super-Poussin no longer has a Sparc NAS (his died), you may not be able to get an update for it. However, if the version that is available supports in-app updates, this won't matter so much. I know the later 4.x versions do, just can't remember which version that was implemented in.

[EDIT:] Just checked the Ajaxplorer website. Automatic updates were introduced in 4.0. The current stable release is 4.2.3. The add-on for Sparc NASes can be found here.

Another alternative to consider.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements