× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS to NAS over web - How would I set it up?

jonas914
Tutor

NAS to NAS over web - How would I set it up?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, i did a few searches and didn't find exactly what I needed to explain, so I'm asking now...

I'm a "light" IT person, doing it on the side for a friend, and I understand server configurations, network configurations, VPN's, ports, firewalls, etc...
I have a small office with 3 Win2003Servers that I need to backup. I want to use a NAS.

I also want to at least weekly, backup the office NAS offsite onto another NAS at the owner's home.

I would prefer not to have to setup a VPN connection. I've had trouble between the two routers before, and can't seem to make it work reliably. The home has a consumer router (DLink or Linksys), the office has a SonicWall TZ170.
I want to setup the EASIEST and most automatic method for doing a weekly offsite backup of the week's local backups.

What products specifically will work, what methods can I do this with? And what steps would I take for each?

please let me know!
Message 1 of 9
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: NAS to NAS over web - How would I set it up?

See here for perhaps the easiest option: http://www.readynas.com/?p=4625
Message 2 of 9
jonas914
Tutor

Okay, now we're getting there, sorta I think.

So, if I get this straight, NetGear has a "cloud" service that these two NAS devices, wherever they may be, can find each other through their "cloud" (assuming they have internet access)?

Or am I misunderstanding? Sounds like to ports to open or vpn tunnels to create.
Message 3 of 9
jonas914
Tutor

Oh, and what products does this ReadyNAS Replicate work with? I need to backup three Win2003Servers, and I need to back that up offsite.
Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It uses the same secure NetGear software VPN used for ReadyNAS Remote, so no ports need to be opened.

It works with all x86 (have Intel CPU) ReadyNAS. You should consider ReadyNAS Pro Series devices. If you want a rackmount device at the office consider a 1500 or 2100 (the Replicate license for rackmount devices costs extra). There is a free trial for ReadyNAS Replicate and after that trial if you wish to continue to use the service you will need to purchase a Replicate license for each NAS.
Message 5 of 9
sphardy1
Apprentice

jonas914 wrote:
Oh, and what products does this ReadyNAS Replicate work with? I need to backup three Win2003Servers, and I need to back that up offsite.

Note that backup of the Windows Servers to the the On-site ReadyNAS would be using some other backup software - whatever you typically use for Windows backup to network storage. Replicate is purely to enable your NAS to NAS backups and so give you the offsite support you originally asked about without the issues associated with VPNs or the clients home network configuration
Message 6 of 9
jonas914
Tutor

Another question on the same note: So, if I have a ReadyNAS on-site and one off-site both with replicate licenses. Can I do backups of PC's at BOTH ends? What about a completely random off-site PC that I want to do an FTP backup to one of these ReadyNAS devices? Does it matter which one I do it on? If I FTP backup to one, will the device replicate on the other, etc?

I guess I'm asking, is one device a "master" that the "slave" replicates from, or can I work with both devices at their respective locations and have them replicate everything to each other?

Thanks, just about to set this up, need to know if this is a limitation.
Message 7 of 9
yoh-dah
Guide

jonas914 wrote:
Another question on the same note: So, if I have a ReadyNAS on-site and one off-site both with replicate licenses. Can I do backups of PC's at BOTH ends? What about a completely random off-site PC that I want to do an FTP backup to one of these ReadyNAS devices? Does it matter which one I do it on? If I FTP backup to one, will the device replicate on the other, etc?

I guess I'm asking, is one device a "master" that the "slave" replicates from, or can I work with both devices at their respective locations and have them replicate everything to each other?

Thanks, just about to set this up, need to know if this is a limitation.

You can backup to both the devices independently. The way Replicate works is that the 2nd device contains the replicate data of the first but keeps that data separately in a folder. This way, this same device can act as a Replicate target for a 3rd or 4th device if necessary. If you wish, you can setup the 2nd device to replicate back to the first as well. The flexibility allows you to replicate down to just a particular folder.
Message 8 of 9
jonas914
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. All my stuff just showed up, two ReadyNAS Pro 4's, and 6 2TB drives (3 each).
I'll be doing this one step at a time, and I'm sure I'll have more questions. I'll try to search for answers first the best I can.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements