× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS with SSD drives

milbeck
Aspirant

NAS with SSD drives

This has been a struggle trying to fnid a home based NAS solution using SSD drives.

I have had two NETGEAR NAS enclosures (10TB RAID 5) for many years and have loved the product.

[NETGEAR ReadyNAS 314 4-Bay]

But I want to upgrade my spinning disks to SSD.

So I have tried searching for a similar product that supports SSD drives and have not been able to locate.

Tried the chat and they were no help.

Please ... need assistance.

Thanks,

Leon

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

All OS-6 ReadyNAS support SSD drives, though I'd suggest the RN528 or RN628 for this.  More bays is one reason, since it allows for more expansion.  The higher-end models also have faster CPUs and support 10 gigabit ethernet.

Inventory is scarce (and what's available is often overpriced), so I definitely recommend looking at competitor products as well.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@milbeck wrote:

[NETGEAR ReadyNAS 314 4-Bay]

So I have tried searching for a similar product that supports SSD drives and have not been able to locate.

Your current RN314 supports 2.5" SATA SSDs.  

You do need to remove the tool-less plastic inserts in the trays, and screw the SSDs into the bottom of the tray. See page 171 in the hardware manual here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Hopefully you kept the screws that came with your NAS - but if you lost them, you can purchase replacements (let us know here, and we can provide info on the size you need).

There is a compatibility list here: https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List  Note that this is just disks Netgear has tested, there are likely others that will work.

@milbeck wrote:

If you use just SSDs, you'd be limited to 4x4TB right now, and the cost would be ~$1800 USD at current prices.

There is also a hybrid mode that you could look at, called ReadyTier. You could use 2x12TB RAID-1 mechanical disks (or larger), and create an SSD Tier using smaller SSDs - for instance, 2x2TB.  That would cost less (~$1000 USD), and in many cases would give similar performance.

You could also just have two volumes - two mechanical disks (RAID-1) in the first volume, and two SSDs (also RAID-1) in a second volume.  Then put the shares that can benefit most from the higher performance of SSDs on the second volume.

Message 2 of 4
milbeck
Aspirant

StephenB:

I want to keep my existing RAID systems as backup. SO no chnge or mods needed here.

Are there any new enclosures availble for sale here that I can buy using 4TB SSD and a RAID5 solution?

Thanks for your help.

Leon

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

All OS-6 ReadyNAS support SSD drives, though I'd suggest the RN528 or RN628 for this.  More bays is one reason, since it allows for more expansion.  The higher-end models also have faster CPUs and support 10 gigabit ethernet.

Inventory is scarce (and what's available is often overpriced), so I definitely recommend looking at competitor products as well.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements