× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ - Resync or replace disk - which first?

hackin8
Aspirant

NV+ - Resync or replace disk - which first?

I have two errors within 2 minutes of each other - one recommending changing the disk.  On checking I see some read errors on one of the disks (disk 2)
Which one should I do - resynch and then change - or simply change?
 Any thoughts / experience.
(I have a backup from 24 hours prior)

Thanks

Thu Dec 3 08:40:26 WET 2020A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime.
Thu Dec 3 08:38:53 WET 2020Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon. 
Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
hackin8
Aspirant

Thank you - have replaced disk 2 (The only one with apparent errors) and the NAS is currently re-syncing.

Niw we wait...

Nigel

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If all the errors are on disk 2, then I'd pull the disk (NAS running), and then hot-insert the replacement.  The system will need to rebuild the parity blocks anyway when you insert the new disk, and there's nothing to gain by letting the resync complete.

If the errors are on multiple disks, then it'd be best to use your backup - doing a factory reset with good disks, rebuilding the NAS, and restoring the data.

Message 2 of 5
hackin8
Aspirant

Thank you - have replaced disk 2 (The only one with apparent errors) and the NAS is currently re-syncing.

Niw we wait...

Nigel

Message 3 of 5
hackin8
Aspirant

All sorted - thanks

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@hackin8 wrote:

All sorted - thanks

Great!  I'm glad we could help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements