× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ V2 Volume expansion failed with 4x4TB WD red drives

Grimleiv
Tutor

NV+ V2 Volume expansion failed with 4x4TB WD red drives

I'm trying to set up with 4 x 4TB Segate disks. Factory reset done, disk control ok.. but volume ends up 8TB. Latest firmware installed, all looks good. 

I tried just use 3x4TB, volume ended up 7.2TB then.. 

I used to have 3.3TB and 12TB before.

Anyone have a solution or suggestion how to fix this? As said, diskt test ok, shows up as 4TB.

Model: ReadyNAS RND4210v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
bedlam1
Prodigy

Re: NV+ V2 Volume expansion failed with 4x4TB WD red drives

Try using this Calculator to experiment with your options

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The NAS reports volume size in TiB, not TB.  

Your 3x4TB would have given you an 8 TB volume (reported as 7.2 TiB).  So that one gave you the correct result.  But 8 TiB for 4x4TB xraid is definitely wrong.  It should have given you a 12 TB volume, with the NAS reporting the size as ~10.9 TiB.  

Are you sure the volume is completely synced?  It's possible that the size is slowing growing as the resync proceeds.

Also, did you do the factory reset with all disks in place?

Message 2 of 8
Grimleiv
Tutor

Atm i have 3x4TB +1x3TB syncing up, so far it report 8TB but still some hours sync. I wonder why it always sync at last drive.. So when done sync it will add the TB from last drive to the 8TB.. Even i have 3x4TB + 1x3TB = 15TB minus safty 🙂

This time i didnt choose the xraid, dont remember name, but i use the nr 2 option. Read somwhere here that xraid was max 8tb and that somone choosed the other option and got 12TB.. 

Will tell tomorrow when sync is done.. Really hoping to get 12TB out of this nv+ v2 😄

Message 3 of 8
Grimleiv
Tutor

The raid i'm testin now with 3x4TB + 1x3TB is Flex-Raid Raid 5. Will that end in 8TB also? If so, why?

:)Thanks for assist so far.

Message 4 of 8
Grimleiv
Tutor

Sync finished.. volume total 8.1TB with 3x4TB + 1x3TB.. Flex Raid 5..

Really annoying. Did i buy those 4TB for nothing? I had same with 3x3TB and 1x4TB..

I have online backup, so i wonder. If i do raid 0, will i then get full value?

Message 5 of 8
bedlam1
Prodigy

Try using this Calculator to experiment with your options

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The rule for XRAID single redundancy is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  So that should give you 11 TB (reported as 10 TiB in the web ui).  For XRAID to use the 3 TB drive, it needs to be installed before the first 4 TB drive (or be installed when you do the factory reset).

Also, you probably need to reboot the NAS to trigger the vertical expansion from 9 TB to 11 TB.

AFAIK, flexraid on the v2 platform doesn't handle unequal size disks, so it will give you classic RAID-5 (9 TB volume, reported as ~8.1 TiB).

Message 7 of 8
Grimleiv
Tutor

Nice Calkulator. That made me see whats going on 🙂 So all is ok.. it's just the raids that dont handle different volumes.

Will go for 4x4TB then, try get most out of it with raid 5

Thanks for help 😄

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements