× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ appears hung on disk swap

xtianstratus2
Aspirant

NV+ appears hung on disk swap

Hi - my readyNAS drives have started reporting sector errors so I decided to replace the drives.

I'm installing 4 new WD10EFRXSP drives

I started with drive 2 

got all the proper alerts - failed drive, new drive, Disk initialization, Raid Sync started about 18 hours ago.

And now, it has been stuck at 54% for a long time (at least a few hours) (see screenshot)

It appears to be hung.  What should be the next step?   reboot?  pull drive 2 and put the old one back in?  

Considering that I don't have a second backup of the data on there, what would be the best choice moving forward?

thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: NV+ appears hung on disk swap

@xtianstratus2 wrote:

Considering that I don't have a second backup of the data on there, what would be the best choice moving forward?

I think you are actually saying that the NAS holds the only copy of the data? Then if you had multiple disks with issues, it was very risky to replace them one by one.  It would have been much better to create a backup first.

If the volume is still available, I suggest backing up whatever you can (most critical files first).  You might also download the log zip file from the admin ui, and see if there are any disk errors during the resync.

If the volume isn't available, then you could power down the NAS, remove the new disk 2, and boot it again with slot 2 empty.  Then back up the data.

Once you have all the data, you can do a factory install with the new disks in place, rebuild the NAS, and restore data from backup.

An alternative is to power down the NAS, and clone drives 1,3,4 to the new drives, using cloning software that does sector by sector cloning.  Then power up the NAS with just those disks in place. You can then hot-insert the new disk 2 - which will then resync.  One disadvantage of the alternative is that there is likely to be some file system damage on the NAS when you are done.  The factory install above would eliminate that possibility.

Message 2 of 13
xtianstratus2
Aspirant

Thanks - I can see it on the network but can't connect to any shares.

I tried powering down via the power button but it's not responding.  Is it safe to just flip the power switch in the back?   - just went back to check on it and noticed it did power down on its own.  I'm following the rest of your directions and will report back if I get stuck

Message 3 of 13
xtianstratus2
Aspirant

Ok, just restarted without Drive 2 and got the following email.  

Seems like I should have started with drive 4.  Should I put my old drive 2 in and pull drive 4 out or does it not work like that?

ATA error count has increased in the last day.

Disk  1:
 Previous count: 0
 Current count: 1

Disk  3:
 Current count: 1

Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.

Disk  4:
 Current count: 8824

Disk  4:
 Current count: 432

Disk 4 did not pass SMART self-assessment test.  Please replace this disk as soon as possible.

Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon.  If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

Message 4 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

All those errors on Drive 4 were likely what was hanging the re-sync.  if your shares are currently accessible, make a backup now.  Drive 4 is about to die on you.  Do Not try inserting another new drive to re-sync, that puts a lot mnore stress on your failing Drive 4 and may push it over the edge.  You are luicky if that did not already happen.

Message 5 of 13
xtianstratus2
Aspirant

yeah - and now the errors are now over 1k. I've pulled most of the contents off the NAS and have a few things left that I'm trying to recover before it's dead. 

Once that's done, I'm gong to do a rebuild with new disks.

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@xtianstratus2 wrote:

yeah - and now the errors are now over 1k. I've pulled most of the contents off the NAS and have a few things left that I'm trying to recover before it's dead. 

Once that's done, I'm gong to do a rebuild with new disks.

If you can't get everything, you could then attempt to reboot with the original disk 2 and not disk 4 (no harm at that point).

Message 7 of 13
xtianstratus2
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help!  I'm still pulling stuff off - (I haven't had a whole lot of time to spend on it) The NAS bumps off line frequently but comes back up - So I'm unable to copy large chunks of content in one copy operation...  I have 95% of the content already recovered and getting the last bit is a small chore.

once I have everything, I'll experiment with putting the original drive 2 back in and pulling 4 and seeing what happens.

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Just so you realize:  The old Drive 2 is now out of sync with the others, so it will need to re-sync before you can pull drive 4.  I don't see where you've said how may errors the old Drive 2 has, but it probably has even less chance of successfully re-syncing with the remaining drives than the new one.   Once you get all the data backed up, your least frustrating approach is likely to be starting fresh with the new drives.

Message 9 of 13
xtianstratus2
Aspirant

Ok - I recovered everything and did a clean factory reset with new drives. 

Now, the frontview window is blank (graphical page frame is there but no content)

What's the next step?  did that wipe the firmware? never mind - the interface returned. just took a while

Message 10 of 13
xtianstratus2
Aspirant

actually, frontview web access has not been working since my last post. 

it appeared that once - at which point I changed the admin password and from that point, it has not been loading completely.  

any advice on how to get it back up so I can complete the setup?

I can see some of the old shares (now empty as expected) so some settings appear to have remained in tact and yet it's not sending me emails. So I assume some settings weren't preserved.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@xtianstratus2 wrote:

I can see some of the old shares (now empty as expected) so some settings appear to have remained in tact and yet it's not sending me emails. So I assume some settings weren't preserved.

Starting over wouldn't preserve any settings (they are all on the disks).  You are either seeing default shares or you are seeing shares you configured when you changed the password.

Try installing RAIDar on a PC, and tell us what status it gives you for the NAS.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 12 of 13
xtianstratus2
Aspirant

Thanks for all of the help!  I'm out of the woods now and am restoring my archives to the ReadyNAS. I used the paperclip / power button reset procedure to force it to re install the firmware. After that, it was pretty easy to restore the configuration from a previous backup.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements