× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ dead, now what?

rsinsheimer
Aspirant

NV+ dead, now what?

I have a two-part question:

My NV+ has died, probably the power supply. I shut it down before my last move, now it won't restart at my new location. So I have a couple of choices:

1) I have an NV which I seldom use -- can I pull the drives from the NV+ and drop them in the NV and away I go?
2) If that won't work, what is the last/latest ReadyNAS model that I can get with no drives that I can put my drives into successfully?

-- Roger
Message 1 of 16
xeltros
Apprentice

I don't know NV / NV+ so I won't speculate on that.
You forgot another solution though. You can ask Netgear for a power supply. Even if the NAS isn't under warranty they may have some stock. I think I've seen someone getting a free power supply for an old unit because Netgear had some problems with those units. Can't remember what model and of course I don't have the serial numbers of the units concerned but that may be worth the try. Of course if they don't send you one for free, you may ask them if they still sell some, a power supply can't be that expensive. With some luck your NV and NV+ have the same power supply too.

That's only some ideas that need to be confirmed but I think the best way (not the only one) to save the data is to save the device.
Message 2 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your serial in this range?: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=54911

1) If your NV+ is a v1 (silver chassis, runs RAIDiator 4.1.x or earlier) then yes. Update your NV to at least as new firmware as you were running on the NV+, then power down the NV, remove the disks (label order) and follow the migration procedure: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another
2) Newer models use a different RAID format. However you could try mounting the array in an ordinary x86 PC. Instructions for an X-RAID array from the NV+ v1 are here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306
Message 3 of 16
rsinsheimer
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses. Good point about seeing if there are power supplies available, I'll check into that.

-- Roger
Message 4 of 16
rsinsheimer
Aspirant

I am delighted to report the power supply arrived, is installed, and the NV+ is now merrily booting! Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.
Message 5 of 16
thsciguy
Aspirant

I have the same situation as rsinsheimer with my NV+ v1, however I do not have an NV as a back up or a ordinary x86 PC and would rather spend a bit more to buy a newer NAS then an new PSU and potentially be in the same situation in a couple years. Does the answer from mdgm mean there is no newer ReadyNAS model to which I can migrate my existing drives (e.g. a 300 series)?

If that is the case, what are my options for migrating the data from my NV+ with a dead PSU to a newer NAS without the intermediate of buying a PSU for the NV+?
Message 6 of 16
rsinsheimer
Aspirant

For the record, the PSU cost $26 including shipping -- you could buy a couple, install one now and have one for backup. I bought two spare 500 GB drives when I bought by NV+ which are (happily) collecting dust. That said, I too am curious as to which was the last of the 4-bay Sparc ReadyNASs if anyone knows. I suspect that by the time I need that even a newer but old NAS will be sorely obsolete. Also for the record, I back up my NAS -- you can never be too paranoid with irreplaceable data. I've seen RAID power supply failures that took out all the drives at the same time, fortunately this wasn't one of those.
Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The NV+ (v1) was the last 4-bay model to be discontinued. The Duo (v1) 2-bay was released later than the NV+ (v1) but discontinued at the same time. The Duo v2 and NV+ v2 use a different RAID format and it is important not to confuse them. See http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/
Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 300 series units are x86 PCs so theoretically you could boot say a Ubuntu Live CD off a USB key and recover the data using that, but that is not supported.

What model were you thinking of getting?
Message 9 of 16
thsciguy
Aspirant

$26! Where do I sign up? All of my searches were showing $100+ and almost all were out of stock. In that case and from the additional info from mdgm I'd does seem a new power supply and frequent backups is the best path for me as well.
Message 10 of 16
rsinsheimer
Aspirant

I got my power supply directly from Netgear. They are probably down to dregs as well -- my unit came with warranty documentation from Netgear Australia.
Message 11 of 16
thsciguy
Aspirant

All. . . I received my $26 PSU from Netgear and have my NV+ alive and kicking after a 2+ year hiatus! Thanks for the support, now I have have to figure out all I have missed in the last few years. . . I probably have lots of firmware and software upgrades ahead of me. Good problems to have though, thanks again.
Message 12 of 16
Rockadile
Aspirant

thsciguy wrote:
All. . . I received my $26 PSU from Netgear and have my NV+ alive and kicking after a 2+ year hiatus! Thanks for the support, now I have have to figure out all I have missed in the last few years. . . I probably have lots of firmware and software upgrades ahead of me. Good problems to have though, thanks again.

How did you order through Netgear? Did you just contact support?
Message 13 of 16
rsinsheimer
Aspirant

Yes. The problem is "just contact support" can be challenging depending on how good a job you've done keeping up your account. If your NAS is registered with Netgear it *should* be straightforward. Good luck! :^)
Message 14 of 16
Rockadile
Aspirant

SuccessI Unfortunately, they would only let me buy one. Thanks for the info, you saved me $150.
Message 15 of 16
rsinsheimer
Aspirant

Hope it works. The power supply is a single point of failure in a RAID system, and when it goes it *can* take the drives with it -- I've seen it happen. So, best of luck to you!
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements