× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ frontview corrupted

ipb_uk
Aspirant

NV+ frontview corrupted

Hi, Having a problem with NV+. Having not turned it on for some time. Today I turned it on, it did have a static ip, but today it's come up with 192.168.168.168. Also, it now has the default password. I can see all my files via windows, but the admin page is heavily corrupted. I can't telnet to it, it's refused connection. I have matched the network on the PC to the NV+. Before I start meddling with it, is there anybody out there that can offer some help in getting it back. Thanking you.
Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: NV+ frontview corrupted

It sounds like the OS partition might be damaged.  If you need the files on the NAS, you should back them up before proceeding.

Telnet connections are only accepted if the system was booted in tech support mode.  Otherwise it will refuse telnet connections.  You need to use ssh (for instance, putty in a Windows system).  You'd log in as root, using the NAS admin password.  (This assumes that ssh was enabled on the NAS).

Though if you have a backup of the data, the simplest thing to do is a factory reset, rebuild the NAS and restore the data from the backup.

Message 2 of 9
ipb_uk
Aspirant

I'll give tech mode a bash, remind me please how to get there?

It's all backed up so no problem there.
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

See pages 23-24 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

The username is root, the password is infr8ntdebug

To mount the operating system (assuming xraid) you

# start_raid.sh
# mount /dev/hdc1 /sysroot
# mount --bind /proc /sysroot/proc
# mount --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts /sysroot/dev/pts
# chroot /sysroot /bin/bash

If you need to mount the data volume (read-only) :

# vgscan
# vgchange -a y
# mount -o ro /dev/c/c /c

Message 4 of 9
ipb_uk
Aspirant

I think I've found part of the problem. Back in April 2017, I had the same thing happen. @mdgm very kindly found a large ReadyDLNA database and MySQL database. He moved these to the data volume, and changed the configuration to store these on the data volume.

See....
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/unable-to-login-to-the-admin-page-R...

I found the ReadyDLNA log at 1.9GB in "/var/cache/minidlna/" and deleted it. The box is just a backup target to my main box. In future I would like to disable this if that is possible, as I don't use it. Or have written instruction on how to make the changes myself for future reference. I'm comfortable using the command line having had some exposure to Unix in my very deep past!

Deleting that 1.9GB file hasn't got frontview back. But at least it has requested an ip address.

ssh doesn't seem to be enabled. So at some point I must have reinstalled the software!

Anyway, it seems that a factory reset may be in order, but that will leave me with the those databases getting large again when I turn the box on every few months or so. I've written some notes on how I got this far, I just need the next steps. So could someone fill me in on those, please.

Any other thoughts?
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ipb_uk wrote:
that will leave me with the those databases getting large again when I turn the box on every few months or so.

There is a add-on provided by a Netgear developer that will move the cache to the C volume:  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/4.1/Toggle_ReadyDLNA_CacheDir_1.0.bin

Note this is a "toggle" add on.  There is no UI, and the install is silent.  You remove it by installing it again (hence the name "toggle").

Message 6 of 9
ipb_uk
Aspirant

Should I try a os reinstall first?
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ipb_uk wrote:
Should I try a os reinstall first?

There's no harm in trying it, but it might not repair the damage.  It will reset the admin password back to netgear1 and reset the network configuration to DHCP.

Message 8 of 9
ipb_uk
Aspirant

Reinstall went the way it should and we are back where we should be.

All is good.
Thank you StephenB.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements