× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ lifespan?

takoma
Aspirant

NV+ lifespan?

Hello. I have two NV+ (sparc) units that have been humming along well for years. One if filled with 1.5TB drives, the other with smaller drives. It's time to add some more storage.

The primary uses for them are:

- Time machine backup for a Mac
- Backup storage for multiple PCs
- Mirroring data between the two NV+ for disaster recovery (they are not collocated)

My question is this: Can I continue to get away with the NV+ units and populate them both with 2TB drives - knowing that I've maxed them out? Or am I really looking at the near term EOL of these and should start thinking about moving to the intel platform units?

Thanks
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NV+ lifespan?

Stick with the NV+ for now. There is a new firmware (4.1.9) currently in beta. They are still being developed for even though the Sparc line has been discontinued.

Then when you need more space again go with Intel units (you could then perhaps use the NV+ units to store a backup of important data to extend their lives further).
Message 2 of 4
THEP
Aspirant

i say when you start running out of space, go for a higher end pro or ultra and move the important data off the nv+, just in case 🙂
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I think this depends on how much additional storage you need. Replacing all four drives in the 1.5 TB system will only gain you 1.5 TB of more storage. It might be more cost effective to buy two newer pro or ultra units perhaps with only 2 discs each for now, and keep all of them running.

I agree with mdgm, I see no reason to rush to the newer units.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements