× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ (v1) PSU died

webdevbrian
Aspirant

datamonkey wrote:
My NV+ v1 recently had the power supply fry as well! Can't boot it, smell of burning supply, it's done. Called Tech Support yesterday and opened a case. They are saying that they will send me a power supply to replace mine, but that the power supplies are not in stock currently. They say they are expecting them to be in stock in "middle of June", and that I should contact them again with my case number in mid-June. I guess I can wait, it's only a month out. We'll see if they definitely honor this and come up with these power supplies which seem like they are illusive. Oh well. The wait begins.

Guy who handled my case said exactly the same thing, but opted to send me a new unit with a return label for free. With my infrant box, I had a warranty that apparently was still good "until 2015" for hardware. I'd check back in with them and ask them about getting a new unit like I did, especially if it was the same issue!
Message 26 of 59
franckleroy1
Aspirant

Hi

My PSU burned last year I changed it with a FLEX one :

Seventeam ST-220FUB

But infortunatly this model is now out of stock, I think this one could be ok :

PC FSP Fortron FSP 270 60LE - 270W, i.e. http://www.materiel.net/alimentation-pour-pc/fsp-fortron-fsp-270-60le-270w-76047.html

or better this one :
250W Replacement Power Supply for Seventeam ST-220FUB-05e, Netgear ReadyNAS RNR4475, G-Technology G-SPEED ES
http://www.newpowersupply.com/250w_replacement_power_supply_for_seventeam_st_220fub_05e_netgear_readynas_rnr4475_g_technology_g_speed_es-pr-1439.html

Regards
Franck
Message 27 of 59
lemonkey1
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat. Luckily I was able to get a replacement NV+ (v1 - silver chassis) from Netgear that I am RMA'ing the old one with shortly.

After confirming that the RAID architectures are the same, I wanted to verify the exact steps I need to follow in order to move my disks from older NV+ that has a bad PSU into the new NV+. Is it just as simple as inserting them in the same left to right order while the device is powered off and then powering it on? Or do I need to insert the first disk from the left first, power it on, then add the other 3 one at a time?

Old NV+: Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ model RNV2-S2-0000
New NV+ Netgear ReadyNas NV+ model RND4000-100NAS v3

Thanks
Message 28 of 59
chirpa
Luminary

Insert them all while powered off, same order if known. Do not 'hot add' one at a time, or you will lose your data.
Message 29 of 59
lemonkey1
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Insert them all while powered off, same order if known. Do not 'hot add' one at a time, or you will lose your data.

Thanks. I have the drives still in the old NV+ that has the dead PSU.

My main worry now is that the firmware that is on the replacement NV+ v1 is older than the one with the dead PSU. I had recently upgraded all the drives from 250GB to 1TB each and updated the firmware at the same time (v4.1.10 updated on 2012/11/10).

I suspect that the firmware on the replacement NV+ may be older and I don't want to risk corruption during the drive transfer.

I now need to find/obtain a spare SATA drive to put in the new NV+ in order to update the firmware to the latest version for NV+ v1 before I proceed.
Message 30 of 59
datamonkey
Aspirant

Netgear Support person called me yesterday to say they now have the power supplies for the original NV+ in stock, and they are sending me one immediately. Hopefully, it's pretty easy to swap it out, and get my NV+ operational again. They want me to send back the failed power supply as well, and won't charge me for the replacement at all, which is very nice. Just wanted to post in case there are others waiting for these power supplies to come in. They are in now it seems! Cheers!
Message 31 of 59
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should get instructions with the replacement PSU unit (or get given a link from support to instructions) but you can get them here: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/how_do_i_replace_the_stock_power_supply_on_the_readynas_nv

Please read the instructions carefully. If you do find it difficult to swap out you may wish to seek help from a friend.
Message 32 of 59
datamonkey
Aspirant

Thanks for the instructions. Completed the swap of the PSU last night, shipping back the old failed PSU today. Powered up just fine, RAID resync underway, but all is well, mission accomplished. Cheers!
Message 33 of 59
Evil_Olverlord
Aspirant

I had this same problem, quickly diagnosed via this forum. My NAS was six years old, but I was within the SN range, so I contacted NetGear. They immediately agreed to send me a new power supply, no questions asked. While I had anticipated a relatively small box, the PSU turned out to be the entire base of the NAS unit - all shipped quickly and at no cost to me. I found replacement instructions online, followed them, and the NAS started right up.

This is what customer service should be like. (It's especially notable because I've been going through the opposite with a rental car company that keeps forgetting even who I am.) My NV+ was expensive and it's a bit slow. But because of service like this, when the time does finally come to replace it, NetGear will be first on my list of options.
Message 34 of 59
toomanybarts
Aspirant

I just had the same experience as Evil Olverlord - very impressed with Netgear Customer Service...I was ready for a big fight with them, but they replied super quick via email - it was almost like IM and sent out a new PSU no questions asked - very impressed!
Message 35 of 59
jpp
Aspirant
Aspirant

And that goes for me too! One phone call and they're sending out a new PSU no charge - and my ReadyNas is a unit I bought from Infrant well before Netgear took them over - that's around 10 years ago!! Well done Netgear - you've just got yourself a new loyal customer.

Just for completeness, the failure of the PSU was a pretty rapid affair. I first noticed a slight smell from around my desk under which the ReadyNas resides. Couldn't identify where it came from or exactly what it was, so got on with work. Left the room for about half an hour to come back to a very strong smell this time. A quick bit of sniffing around this time led me to the NAS. Felt the case temperature all around, but it was pretty normal. Ran Frontview to check temperatures of the drives and case, but these too were barely above their normal range. Next lifted the unit up of the floor and it was then that I found the base almost too hot to touch. Quickly powered down via the front panel power switch to avoid any possible damage.

Took the unit apart to get access to the PSU and sure enough, the heat sink cooling the switch-mode transistors was too hot to touch and the glue around the largest coil near this heat sink had charred and was falling off.

Noted that many of the electrolytic caps had bulging tops, so I guess it's safe to say that many had lost their electrolyte and hence capacitance. I'm assuming that this must have led to the run-away overheating that took place. The speed with which this all this happened is pretty alarming. As others have said and wondered, what could have happened if I hadn't been at home when this happened. No warning - the room was at it's usual air-conditioned 25 deg C, so no ambient heat trigger was involved.

Interestingly, after the PSU had cooled down, it would not restart the unit. I took a closer look at all the caps that had bulged tops and thought about replacing them, but their long and very skinny form factor raised doubt in my mind that I would ever be able to find replacements for them that would fit in the small space they occupied.
Message 36 of 59
jpp
Aspirant
Aspirant

PSU arrived yesterday - just 2 days after my initial phone call. Unfortunately, it had been badly packed and was badly damaged - twisted base and bent PSU, looking as if it had been dropped from a considerable height. As the white box in which it comes does not have any foam wrapping around the PSU and as it had been shipped in a plastic bag without any bubble wrap at all, there was absolutely no protection against an accidental drop.

After notification, Netgear sent out another one the next day and it arrived with some bubble wrapping, but still not really enough had it been dropped badly. But luckily it had not come to any harm even though you could tell that it had been subjected to a corner impact where there was very little warp.

Both units came from the local branch here in Australia which explains the fantastic turn around time - well done Netgear.

After installation, I re-inserted all the 4 drives, and it booted up straight away without requiring a File System check. I guess I was very lucky that I was able to power it down whilst the PSU was still working, otherwise the FS check would have taken nearly a full day with my 4 x 2TB drives and nearly 4TB in use.
Message 37 of 59
Marto731
Aspirant

NV+ (v1) Power Supply - Turnaround and surveys

Gents,
I hope you all fill in the surveys for the helpful support agents, when your power supply is replaced
and case is closed.
It is important that this Forum conveys good news as well as bad.

Product page:
http://support.netgear.com/product/RND4 ... 29#wrapper

To open a support ticket / Ask a Question
https://my.netgear.com/registration/login.aspx

Thanks, Marto
Message 38 of 59
jpp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Marto,

Yes, certainly done so and given top ratings where they were due - the 2 support staff that helped me out. Did mention in the comment field of the survey that the local supplier had to improve on his packaging skills.
Message 39 of 59
tjnixon
Aspirant

Re: NV+ (v1) PSU died Yesterday

Just had my 2010 NV+ (v1) PSU die yesterday. Been in contact with Support online and they are inquiring if fan is not moving or if I smell anything. The ReadyNas is completely dead, no power, no light, no fan. So hopefully support can resolve and get a replacement PSU out to me. Sounds as if everyone has had very good luck with Netgear Support. I guess I should have called as it does seem to take 24 hours for anyone to respond to my updated support ticket.
Message 40 of 59
melvsee
Aspirant

My PSU died today. I was rebooting it when i had a loud crackle/bang/pop and the smell of fried electronics.
I can no longer boot up the NV+, there is no power at all.
very very fortunately, the warranty runs out end Mar 2014.

i'm in singapore; how do i get the psu replacement?
Message 41 of 59
StephenB
Guru

contact Netgear at support.netgear.com
Message 42 of 59
chirpa
Luminary

My last experience while working there was that Singapore was not honoring the RMAs of those units anymore. Hopefully that has changed.
Message 43 of 59
melvsee
Aspirant

hi chirpa,

thankfully it has changed. netgear support responded within a day to say contact reseller in singapore for a replacement.
i duly did so and after forwarding netgear support's email about the replacement, they acknowledged it and asked me to bring it in for replacement.

fingers crossed that i will be up and running again soon!
Message 44 of 59
melvsee
Aspirant

a happy ending for me.

swapped my broken NV+ (v1) for a brand new NV+ (v3).

popped my drives back in, power on and everything works as if it never broke down.

simply fantastic.
Message 45 of 59
shadowfixeruk
Aspirant

Got home from work last night (Feb 21 2014) to find my PSU had gone "pop". There was a smell of burning and my UPS alarm was going off...

Raised a ticket with Netgear support to find out what my options are - hoping for the same great customer service that other have been recieving earlier in this thread - but will keep you posted on time scales for replies, responses etc..

Anyone have any good ideas in the meantime ?

Cheers
SF
Message 46 of 59
StephenB
Guru

Is the serial number in the range here: viewtopic.php?p=54911 If so, make sure that Netgear support knows that.

Other options include buying an off-the-shelf PSU and modifying the cable (or purchasing an adapter). Most don't fit in the readynas chassis, so you can end up with something quite ugly. There are posts here on that subject, so google for them if interested.

Or look for a used v1 model.

It is possible to mount the disks in an x86 linux system, assuming you have a system with enough connectors.
Message 47 of 59
shadowfixeruk
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Is the serial number in the range here: viewtopic.php?p=54911 If so, make sure that Netgear support knows that.

Hi Stephen, thanks for the links and great tips.
My ReadyNAS serial number sits plum in the middle of the range given in the link - so i guess this is good news!

I will update my support ticket!

Thanks
SF
Message 48 of 59
StephenB
Guru

shadowfixeruk wrote:
My ReadyNAS serial number sits plum in the middle of the range given in the link - so i guess this is good news!
Yes. It means you are entitled to a free PSU replacement even though your unit is out of warranty. I would definitely update the ticket with this information.
Message 49 of 59
shadowfixeruk
Aspirant

So i updated the ticket at around 11.40 UK time.
Had a call about an hour later from Netgear in Kuala Lumpa, which diverted to voicemail; was sent an email by Joseph from Level 2 support at the same time, saying a replacement had been authorised. 🙂

Joseph called back an hour later to check delivery details.
Replacement PSU should arrive on Tuesday.

Great customer service.
Thanks Netgear ( and StephenB!)

SF
Message 50 of 59
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements