× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+

Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

NV+

My NV+ has been RESYNCing for 5 days. 
RAIDar still shows 0.0% complete.
Raidiator is almost impossible to use due to sluggishness.

Unit has been power cycled.
Nothing changes.
Backup in Frontview fails on every attempt to backup the array.
Four 2TB WD Red disks.
Set to 3 disk RAID-5 with a spare.
RAID-5 was contained on disks 2-4.
Disk 1 was the spare.
Disk 2 popped out of the device because the clamp failed.

Disk 2 was reconnected, but Frontview still says it is dead.
The resync is active on disks 1, 3, & 4.
But it doesn't appear to actually be happening according to RAIDar.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: NV+

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:
Additionally, is there anyway to turn off the requirement to log in to these two ReadyNAS devices every 30 minutes or whatever it is?  I'd like to be able to quickly check on the backup status during the day without having to log in constantly.

The NV+ shouldn't be logging you out.  OS-6 will, and unfortunately there is no way to adjust the timeout.

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:
can't seem to set up an NFS or SMB job. 

This is on the OS-6 NAS?  Is NFS enabled as a file sharing protocol on both NAS?  SMB is called "Windows/NAS (timestamp)" in the backup job setup.

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:
Yes, I am getting about 10 GB/hour.  Any other ideas?

I'm thinking that disk 4 is the RAID parity disk on the NV+.  If so, the NAS is needing to reconstruct the data that was on disk 2 on the fly.  That will slow down the transfer speed with all protocols (I've never tried to measure how much).  Though you measured 30 MB/s before with SMB, that might not be sustainable.  SMB or NFS would still be faster than rsync though.

How much data is on the NV+?  

The only way to speed it up is to switch to NFS or SMB.  Though now that resyncing is off the table, you could run the backups only during the day (reducing the off-hours power use).  Rsync would need to rebuild the list of files to be transferred every time you restart the backup job, but it wouldn't recopy the already-transferred files (assuming it is set to incremental).

Since the volume is degraded, you do want to transfer the most important shares first.  Also, it would be prudent to minimize writing data (or reorganizing files/folders) on the NV+.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Markle-Sparkle

Welcome to the Community!

It shouldn't take that long, were you able to download the full logs?  If you have kindly check the status.log and check if there are other alerts.

Also, was disk2 reinserted while it is resyncing disk1? Have you tried removing disk 2 and 1 and still get a degraded mode on the array?

Regards

Message 2 of 15
Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

Yes, as soon as I discovered that disk 2 had popped out, I pushed it back in.  The NV+ was resyncing to the spare disk 1 when I did that.

Last night I did a clean shut down from Frontview.  I selected the check file system option.  It has been doing the check file system all day today.  Do you think that this will also get stuck and continue for days?

Message 3 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS won't do anything with Drive 2 untill the current sync is complete, so that's normal.  But the eternal sync is not.  It's usually a sign that the "new" drive has many bad sectors, but is not 100% dead; though it could be another drive.  Power cycling during the sync was a bad idea, and would cause the sync to re-start; but I think it should have completed already, anyway.

Re-starting with just drives 3 & 4, as suggested by @Marc_V is probably the right next step, but it would be best if you could first confirm the status of the array via logs or SSH.

Message 4 of 15
Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

The following message is repeated several times in the logs:

"A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime."

There is no such command for performing a "RAID volume resync" in RAIDiator 4.1.16.

RAIDar still reports 0.0% of resync completed after the NV+ finished the File System Check.

However, RAIDiator Volumes, Volume Settings reports: "Recovery 3% complete, Time to finish 257 hr 5 min, Speed 4082 KB/sec."

Is any of this normal?

How do I "Re-start with just drives 3 & 4," and I don't see where @Marc_V suggested that.

Message 5 of 15
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Markle-Sparkle

Can you send me your logs so we can check if there are other drives that has problems. You can PM me a link to download it.

Regards

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:

Yes, as soon as I discovered that disk 2 had popped out, I pushed it back in.  The NV+ was resyncing to the spare disk 1 when I did that.

I just want to add that it was already too late at this point.

If the NAS hadn't been syncing, then you could have tried powering down, then reinserting the disk, and power up.  Though there is still some risk that disk 2 would be out of sync.

But since the volume was already syncing, the damage was done.  Nothing good can happen by reinserting it, and there was risk that it would confuse the NAS and make the situation worse.

Message 7 of 15
Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

@Marc_V, I PMed you a link to my Dropbox with for the logs.

Message 8 of 15
Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

Still awaing your response, @Marc_V or @StephenB.

Current status:

My NV+ still wants to take days , weeks, or months to resync.  I haven't been able to leave it running for days because I live on solar power and it can't keep the NV+ going indefinitely.  Obviously, this is an issue because even if I do a clean shutdown of the NV+, it won't continue the resync the next time I boot it and it starts all over again.  OS6 devices continue the resync after a proper shutdown and re-boot, though.  Please let me know if these characteristics of Radiator or OS6 are wrong.

I have tried removing drives 1 and 2 alternately to see if I can speed up the process, but it doesn't.  Either way, I only get about 1% of resync a day.

So, I have removed both drives 1 and 2 to try and quickly back up the NV+ to my OS6 ReadyNAS device.  There is a great deal of pain here in finding a fast method and getting either the NV+ or the OS6 device to communicate with the other device.  Test communication results in errors on nearly every attempt. 

I have finally set up the NV+ to copy each share individually from the NV+ to the OS6 as an ftp remote.  This is horrendously slow.  Maybe getting up to a hundred or two hundred MBs per hour.  Rsync won't work at all, because the NV+ won't connect to the OS as a rsync server when I specify which folder on the OS6 shares to use.

I have finally set up the OS device to copy each share individually from the NV+ as an rsync server to OS6 shares.  This is also horrendously slow.  Maybe getting up to a GB per hour.  

Doing file copies through my PC down the same ethernet cable is actually quite a bit faster of about 30 MBs per second.

This makes no sense to me.  Everything is connected through a gigabit switch with single individual cables at 1 Gb/s.

I'm afraid I'm going to lose the unprotected NV+ shares due to a disk failure before anything gets backed up from the NV+.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:

I have finally set up the OS device to copy each share individually from the NV+ as an rsync server to OS6 shares.  This is also horrendously slow.  Maybe getting up to a GB per hour.  

Doing file copies through my PC down the same ethernet cable is actually quite a bit faster of about 30 MBs per second.

NFS backup jobs are probably the fastest way, but it won't be much faster then 30 MB/s with the NV+ v1.  It's a very old NAS, and limited by it's Sparc CPU.

Rsync is more robust for incremental backups, but not the fastest.  One approach that works well with the NV+ is to first backup with NFS, then change the backup protocol to rsync and re-run it. The second pass completes very quickly.

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:

I have tried removing drives 1 and 2 alternately to see if I can speed up the process, but it doesn't.  Either way, I only get about 1% of resync a day.

Removing/reinserting disks isn't a good strategy, as it basically forces the NAS to start over.

Something is wrong here.  It doesn't take 100 days to complete a resync.  The estimated completion times are often much longer than the actual (esp. with older NAS), but still it should be showing more progress than you are seeing.

Have you checked the disk health?  Note the issue might not be with disk 1 or 2.  Your data suggests it's actually with disk 3 or disk 4.

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:

I live on solar power

If you are off the grid, you might consider not using RAID redundancy in the future (and instead depend on a good backup plan to protect your data).  You would lose the ability to expand the volume, but you wouldn't need to spend a lot of hours and energy when the volume needs to be rebuilt.

Message 10 of 15
Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

NFS backup jobs are probably the fastest way, but it won't be much faster then 30 MB/s with the NV+ v1.  It's a very old NAS, and limited by it's Sparc CPU.

Rsync is more robust for incremental backups, but not the fastest.  One approach that works well with the NV+ is to first backup with NFS, then change the backup protocol to rsync and re-run it. The second pass completes very quickly.

Something is wrong here.  It doesn't take 100 days to complete a resync.  The estimated completion times are often much longer than the actual (esp. with older NAS), but still it should be showing more progress than you are seeing.

Have you checked the disk health?  Note the issue might not be with disk 1 or 2.  Your data suggests it's actually with disk 3 or disk 4.

If you are off the grid, you might consider not using RAID redundancy in the future (and instead depend on a good backup plan to protect your data).  You would lose the ability to expand the volume, but you wouldn't need to spend a lot of hours and energy when the volume needs to be rebuilt.

Disks 3 & 4 on the NV+ show as healthy and have no smart errors.

Today I restarted a backup job on the OS6 device that pulls through rsync from the NV+.  This is a continuation of a daily discontinued backup job that I have run daily for a week.  That's why I am using rsync. NFS won't connect through "Test Connection" anyway, even though NFS is enabled on both devices. 

An rsync pull is the best alternative, right?  It is doing only 3 MB/s.  All drives on the OS6 device are also quite healthy.  Is this the best I can expect?

If I ever finish backing up the NV+ to the OS6, do you recommend no RAID, RAID 0, or RAID 1 for the NV+ to be the backup to the OS6 device?

Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:
Today I restarted a backup job on the OS6 device that pulls through rsync from the NV+.  This is a continuation of a daily discontinued backup job that I have run daily for a week.  That's why I am using rsync. NFS won't connect through "Test Connection" anyway, even though NFS is enabled on both devices. 

Generally I don't bother with Test Connection.  Sometimes it fails when the backup succeeds, and sometimes it succeeds when the backup fails.

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:
An rsync pull is the best alternative, right?  It is doing only 3 MB/s.  All drives on the OS6 device are also quite healthy.  Is this the best I can expect?

Rsync is CPU intensive compared to SMB or NFS, and it is a lot slower with the NV+.  My recollection is that you generally get 20 GB an hour with rsync with the NV+ - you appear to be getting half that.  But if you are syncing at the same time, then that is not surprising.  Also, if you are simultaneously backing up with the PC, that will of course add more load to the NAS.

I use Rsync anyway to back up to my old NV+ and Duo - because it is quite efficient at doing incremental backups.  But the initial full backup will take a long time.

You could power down and remove both disk 1 and disk 2, and then power up - skipping the file system check via the boot menu.  That would eliminate the resync overhead until you get the backup done.

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:
If I ever finish backing up the NV+ to the OS6, do you recommend no RAID, RAID 0, or RAID 1 for the NV+ to be the backup to the OS6 device?

Four jbod volumes (one per disk) are the safest way.  You get there by doing a factory reset with only one disk in place, and then choose RAID-0.  Then hot-insert the remaining disks (one at a time), and create a new volume on each.

You could also use RAID-0 to create one volume that spans all 4 disks.  That gives you the ability to backup larger volumes. 

The downside of a single volume is that when any disk fails you lose everything. If you use 1 volume per disk, then you only lose what was on that disk. 

Another advantage of one volume per disk is that extracting the data using a PC is much simpler.  The downside of 4 volumes is that it limits the size of the largest share you can back up. 

Two RAID-1 volumes would resync each volume faster (half the time), but it would cut your capacity in half.

Note I use XRAID on my own NV+.  But I'm not worried about how long the resync might take (I do have solar, but am on the grid).  And the NV+ is a secondary backup. 

Message 12 of 15
Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Generally I don't bother with Test Connection.  Sometimes it fails when the backup succeeds, and sometimes it succeeds when the backup fails.

Rsync is CPU intensive compared to SMB or NFS, and it is a lot slower with the NV+.  My recollection is that you generally get 20 GB an hour with rsync with the NV+ - you appear to be getting half that.  But if you are syncing at the same time, then that is not surprising.  Also, if you are simultaneously backing up with the PC, that will of course add more load to the NAS.

I use Rsync anyway to back up to my old NV+ and Duo - because it is quite efficient at doing incremental backups.  But the initial full backup will take a long time.

You could power down and remove both disk 1 and disk 2, and then power up - skipping the file system check via the boot menu.  That would eliminate the resync overhead until you get the backup done.

Four jbod volumes (one per disk) are the safest way.  You get there by doing a factory reset with only one disk in place, and then choose RAID-0.  Then hot-insert the remaining disks (one at a time), and create a new volume on each.

You could also use RAID-0 to create one volume that spans all 4 disks.  That gives you the ability to backup larger volumes. 

The downside of a single volume is that when any disk fails you lose everything. If you use 1 volume per disk, then you only lose what was on that disk. 

Another advantage of one volume per disk is that extracting the data using a PC is much simpler.  The downside of 4 volumes is that it limits the size of the largest share you can back up. 

Two RAID-1 volumes would resync each volume faster (half the time), but it would cut your capacity in half.

Note I use XRAID on my own NV+.  But I'm not worried about how long the resync might take (I do have solar, but am on the grid).  And the NV+ is a secondary backup. 

Disks 1 & 2 are not in the NV+ and the NV+ is only doing one job in serving as an Rsync server to the OS6 pull.  The OS6 is also not doing anything except pulling one Rsync job from the NV+.  I've given up on trying to resync the NV+ and all it is doing is serving as the source for a the single backup job on one share at a time.  I can't seem to set up an NFS or SMB job. 

Additionally, is there anyway to turn off the requirement to log in to these two ReadyNAS devices every 30 minutes or whatever it is?  I'd like to be able to quickly check on the backup status during the day without having to log in constantly.

Yes, I am totally off grid.  Solar is my only energy source.

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:

The NV+ shouldn't be logging you out.  OS-6 will, and unfortunately there is no way to adjust the timeout.

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:
can't seem to set up an NFS or SMB job. 

This is on the OS-6 NAS?  Is NFS enabled as a file sharing protocol on both NAS?  SMB is called "Windows/NAS (timestamp)" in the backup job setup.

@Markle-Sparkle wrote:

I'm thinking that disk 4 is the RAID parity disk on the NV+.  If so, the NAS is needing to reconstruct the data that was on disk 2 on the fly.  That will slow down the transfer speed with all protocols (I've never tried to measure how much).  Though you measured 30 MB/s before with SMB, that might not be sustainable.  SMB or NFS would still be faster than rsync though.

How much data is on the NV+?  

The only way to speed it up is to switch to NFS or SMB.  Though now that resyncing is off the table, you could run the backups only during the day (reducing the off-hours power use).  Rsync would need to rebuild the list of files to be transferred every time you restart the backup job, but it wouldn't recopy the already-transferred files (assuming it is set to incremental).

Since the volume is degraded, you do want to transfer the most important shares first.  Also, it would be prudent to minimize writing data (or reorganizing files/folders) on the NV+.

Message 14 of 15
Markle-Sparkle
Aspirant

Okay, @StephenB.  Thanks for all your insight.  

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements