× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nas 3100 disconnectes after 10 mins

Martcart78
Aspirant

Nas 3100 disconnectes after 10 mins

Please can someone help me. My nas 3100 will disconnect after 10 mins. It will do this when I transfer files or in idle. I have to restart the unit to get it working again. Then 10 minutes later it dose it again.
Message 1 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Re: Nas 3100 disconnectes after 10 mins

@Martcart78 wrote:
Please can someone help me. My nas 3100 will disconnect after 10 mins. It will do this when I transfer files or in idle. I have to restart the unit to get it working again. Then 10 minutes later it dose it again.

Are you using your web browser?  Or perhaps Finder or File Explorer?

Can you give us more information on your network - particularly the path between the NAS and the client that is disconnecting.

Message 2 of 25
Martcart78
Aspirant

I have the NAS rack 3100 hard wired into a unifi switch. I access it thought window 10. Not using a browser. I open up the NAS folder and start copying files over. Let's say 10 gb size. Half e way thought it will drop the connection. I then have to reboot the NAS. And start again. But if u leave it to idle I will go back to it let's say an hour later. The NAS is there but will not open.. So I have to restart NAS to use it. Thanks
Message 3 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Martcart78 wrote:
I have the NAS rack 3100 hard wired into a unifi switch. I access it thought window 10. Not using a browser. I open up the NAS folder and start copying files over. Let's say 10 gb size. Half e way thought it will drop the connection. I then have to reboot the NAS. And start again. But if u leave it to idle I will go back to it let's say an hour later. The NAS is there but will not open.. So I have to restart NAS to use it. Thanks

Is the PC using ethernet or WiFi?

Message 4 of 25
Martcart78
Aspirant

Hard wired all wired. Dont use WiFi at all.
Message 5 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Martcart78 wrote:
Hard wired all wired. Dont use WiFi at all.

Ok.  So that's not something I am seeing (though my main NAS is an RN526x, not a 3100).

What firmware are you running?

Message 6 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

If the logs don't give any clues, it may be useful to enable SSH and leave an SSH session open until you lose access.  Then use TOP to see if any processes seem to have stopped or are taking 100% of CPU time.  If you are not fa,iliare with what the normal processes look like in TOP, jusr take a peak at them before anything goes amiss.  The main one to see is still running normally is readynasd. though BTRFS and SMB processes may also be important.

Message 7 of 25
Martcart78
Aspirant

Thank you. How do I use ssh and top. Thanks again
Message 8 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

After enabling SSH, you can use the Windows 10 built-in SSH client or another one such as PuTTY to access the Linux command prompt of the NAS.  To use the Windows client, open a command prompt and type ssh root@<nas.ip.address> (using the correct NAS IP, of course.  When prompted to verify it is the intended system, indicate that it is, then when prompted for the password, use the NAS admin password.

Once in the Linux command line interface, just type top.  You'll see an updating display of tasks being run.  To break out of it, use CTRL-C.

Message 9 of 25
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

Message 10 of 25
Martcart78
Aspirant

Fw is 4.2.31
Message 11 of 25
Martcart78
Aspirant

How do I enable ssh.
Message 12 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Martcart78 wrote:
How do I enable ssh.

You need to install the add-on here: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin

Message 13 of 25
Martcart78
Aspirant

ok bud i have done this , all loged in , now what do i need to do , thanks again

Message 14 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Martcart78 wrote:

ok bud i have done this , all loged in , now what do i need to do , thanks again

@Sandshark suggested running top and looking for what processes are taking the system resources.

You could also try copying your 10 gb file to another folder on the NAS from ssh - if that fails, then the issue is linked to the RAID volume and not the network.

Message 15 of 25
Martcart78
Aspirant

ok will do this , also i have installed 2x 2tb drives, i would like them as one volume, how do i do this as when i install a new drive it keeps making it a redunect drive, i need 4tb volume not the 1883tb , thanks again

Message 16 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

You need to disable XRAID, destroy the 2TB volume, and create a new 4TB one.  But be very careful that's really what you want.  Loss of either drive will render all data on both inaccessible.  Two separate 2TB volumes is often a better configuration.

Message 17 of 25
Martcart78
Aspirant

OK where do I disable this. Thanks
Message 18 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

I keep forgetting that the 3100 runs OS4.2.x.  On that OS, you have to do a factory default and during the 10 minute period before it creates a volume, use RAIDar 4.3.8 to select FlexRAID instead of XRAID.  Note that you must use the old version of RAIDar.  Version 6.x does not include this functionality.

But while you are doing this, you may want to convert your NAS to OS6.  But if you plan to stick with such a small volume, maybe it doesn't matter to you.

Message 19 of 25
martcart7878
Aspirant

Hi

i have the 3100 ReadyNas  it is all set up and working great thanks your some members on here. THANKS

there just one thing i cant work out, how to setup the remote connetion to it ,

does anyone know how to set the up,

I can connet to it on my wifi. but when i am out of the home on 4G i cant , please someone help me

Message 20 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

There are a limited number of options for setting up remote access on legacy systems still running legacy RAIDiator firmware.  You are much better off converting your unit to OS6, where you have ReadyCloud and current versions of VPNs available.  The old ReadyNAS Remote that your NAS supported is discontinued.  Based on the fact that you don't even appear to have initially realized you need to install something else to enable access outside your home network makes me think the simplicity of set-up of ReadyCloud may make it the best choice for you.

The SMB 1.0 supported by RAIDiator 4.x (including the current version) is relatively safe on a purely internal home network.  But once you start enabling external access, you need to be very careful not to leave a hope for unauthorized access.  OS6 ups that to SMB 3.0 as well as having many other security and user enhancements.

Message 21 of 25
Martcart78
Aspirant

Thank you. How do I install os6 then please
Message 22 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Martcart78 wrote:
Thank you. How do I install os6 then please

The process is destructive, so you will need to restore the files from a backup.

Basic instructions for the conversion are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

Message 23 of 25
martcart7878
Aspirant

Thanks , all working greart, just one last thing, is there a was to slow the fans down

Message 24 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

Interestingly, /etc/frontview/sensors/RN3100.conf has no min speed settings for the fans where other similar ones (RN3200.conf and RN4200.conf, for example) do.  I have no idea if that's an oversight, unnecessary on that model, or an indication that fan control just won't work.  From you question, can I assume fan control did work in OS4.2.x, or did you not get that far with it to notice?

On my converted RN4200V2's, the OS6 fan speed control works just fine, but on my converted RD5200, it doesn't.  Yet, the motherboards are based on the same Supermicro board, I have re-wired the 5200's fans to be like the 4200, and am using a copy of the 4200 configuration file instead of the 5200 one Netgear created (which was for the orignal fan configuration with no control except for the CPU fan).  So, fan control seems to be a bit of hit or miss, depending on model, regardless.  I rely on the fan settings in the BIOS for the 5200, so maybe your 3100 has similar settings; but they aren't as good as the ones in OS6 (when those work).

In readynasd.log from the log .zip file of both the 4200 and 5200, I see a lot of these:

Mar 29 21:23:29 RD5200A readynasd[6382]: failed setting new fan speed target: Permission denied

But, oddly, the new fan speed does get set on the 4200 but not the 5200.  I'm fairly certain those are related to the problem, and I have posted details about the various directories involved in a previous post, only to have minimal attention given by Netgear.  Check and see if you have similar entries.  Maybe, even though it's officially unsuported, we can get some attention from sombody who knows what is causing this.

My previous thread is here: RD5200-and-RN4200V2-fan-control-under-OS6 

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements