× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need a new server...but....

rjwerth1
Aspirant

Need a new server...but....

I'm in the market for a new file server for my home office. I currently have a Pro 6 that is Rsyncing to a Business Pro off site. I'd like to stay with Netgear, but I have some concerns:

1) I haven't heard a lot of great things about OS6. I like seeing regular updates, but a lot of features that were promised well over a year ago are only now making there way out. The biggest concern I have is being able to EASILY access my data on any device as well as automatically backup all my devices where ever they are. I have Windows devices, Android, and IOS. Remote access and backup with my existing system is spotty at best. Anyone try to use the two ReadyNAS android programs for OS4? They sucked, plain and simple. They rarely worked at all. I ended up using a 3rd party FTP program which works OK for me, but does not work well at all for my less tech-savy clients. How many times has ReadyNAS remote just stopped working, requiring a reboot of the server (about once a month)? Do I need to mention Photo? Yikes. Flaky software does NOT make my life simple. If I want flaky, I'll just make my own server for a lot less money. I'm looking for something that works the first time (and everytime) out of the box.

2) A better off site backup solution than Rsync. Backing up is easy. Restoring....well.....

3) Better management of off-site servers.

4) I like the looks of the 516, but there have been promises of 10Gb expansion cards for over a year that haven't been kept. My next server MUST have the ability to be upgraded to 10GB and still keep the warranty. Yes, I know all about the 716 and it's $2600 price tag. Seems like there is a massive gap between the 516 and 716 that needs to be filled.

5) Photo sharing that easily lets me choose what photos can be seen and/or downloaded per user without having to create copies in secret directories and whatnot would REALLY make life easier as well.

In closing, my 6 years of Readynas experience has been far from perfect. So much so that, I've been looking at all the other usual suspects. The 2 things that keep ReadyNAS in the running are: I can put OS6 on one of my existing servers and use that as the off-site backup, and whenever I've had hardware issues (yes, I've had those as well), Netgear has been VERY good at taking care of them.
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Need a new server...but....

1) OS6 was a revolutionary change. It was always going to take some time for some features to arrive. BTRFS is a much better filesystem than EXT4 and using that we have been able to add some great features that would not have otherwise been possible.
2) ReadyNAS Replicate. ReadyNAS Vault. Dropbox. There are options.
3) ReadyCloud should help with this
4) The 516 is not getting 10GBase-T. The 716x has a more powerful CPU with the horsepower to make use of the 10GBase-T connection. If you want 10GBase-T then the 716x is the way to go
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements