× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need hardware service on a ReadyNAS RNDP6000

dougbartow
Aspirant

Need hardware service on a ReadyNAS RNDP6000

Can anyone recomend a third-party hardware repair service for my ReadyNAS RNDP6000 6-bay NAS drive?

Pretty sure the power unit needs replacing, the front LED panel lights up on power-up, but the drive won't boot. It's out of warranty.

Thx. 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

It is completely normal that you cannot log into the NAS GUI with no drives installed because the OS runs from the drives, so it can't run with no drives.  All that is running on your unit is the boot loader.  But that it is running is a good sign that repair is possible.

I agree with @StephenB  that it is possible that one drive is causing the problem.  Though possible, it's unusual for the power supply to fail in such a manner that drives will spin up but not enough to properly boot.  Two steps you can take are to test each of the drives with manufacturer's tools using a PC and to use a scratch drive in each bay to check that the SATA subsystem is OK.  When using a scratch drive, you'll have to go through the set-up to create a volume on it the first time.  Then, just power down, move the drive to the next slot, and power up to see if it still boots.  Do that with all bays.

The power supply is a standard SFX form factor one, and not really all that hard to replace.  If you have a spare ATX supply around, you can use that externally just to see if the supply is the issue.  If yu want to see if a local repair shop is willing to try and repair it, pass this information on to them.

I honestly don't think it would be worth the money to pay for shipping to and from a repair location, labor, and parts, even if one did exist and the problem did turn out to be the supply.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

No suggestions on a hardware repair place...

What (if anything) is displayed on the LCD panel?

You might want to 

1. See if RAIDar gives you any status: https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar
  2. Try powering up with no disks (label them by slot as you remove them), and see if the LCD gives you a no disks status.

Message 2 of 7
dougbartow
Aspirant

Thanks! Yes, it powered up with all 6 drives removed. It's running with the fans going and the LCD screen says; "ERR: No disks detected!"

I've installed Raidr v 6.5 and plugged the empty NAS into a switch on my network. I can see the drive in Raidr, but when I try to go to the admin page, I get this:

This site can’t be reached

192.168.0.117 refused to connect.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 3 of 7
dougbartow
Aspirant

Also, if I put the 6 HDs back in the unit and power it up, it goes to boot, then resets itself. This goes on and on..

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Thx for checking.  The behavior with no disks is normal - the system boots from the disks, so you cannot access the web ui w/o them installed.

It could certainly be the PSU (either not enough power output generally, or a failure of the 12 volt output), but it is also conceivable that something is going on with one of the disks.

If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC (either with a USB adapter/dock or SATA), then I suggest testing them with vendor tools - Lifeguard for Western Digital, Seatools for Seagate.  When you remove the disks, you should label them by slot, so you can return them to the correct position.

If you have a spare disk (not part of the array), then you could also try installing it in the NAS, and then try booting up the NAS with that disk in each slot.  Anything on that disk would be lost of course.

Going back to your main question - you could research local PC repair shops, and see if they can handle the PSU replacement. 

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

It is completely normal that you cannot log into the NAS GUI with no drives installed because the OS runs from the drives, so it can't run with no drives.  All that is running on your unit is the boot loader.  But that it is running is a good sign that repair is possible.

I agree with @StephenB  that it is possible that one drive is causing the problem.  Though possible, it's unusual for the power supply to fail in such a manner that drives will spin up but not enough to properly boot.  Two steps you can take are to test each of the drives with manufacturer's tools using a PC and to use a scratch drive in each bay to check that the SATA subsystem is OK.  When using a scratch drive, you'll have to go through the set-up to create a volume on it the first time.  Then, just power down, move the drive to the next slot, and power up to see if it still boots.  Do that with all bays.

The power supply is a standard SFX form factor one, and not really all that hard to replace.  If you have a spare ATX supply around, you can use that externally just to see if the supply is the issue.  If yu want to see if a local repair shop is willing to try and repair it, pass this information on to them.

I honestly don't think it would be worth the money to pay for shipping to and from a repair location, labor, and parts, even if one did exist and the problem did turn out to be the supply.

Message 6 of 7
dougbartow
Aspirant

Thx, great advice. Apreesh. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements