× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help

Enigma123
Aspirant

Need help

Hello all,

I am hoping someone here can assist me, as Netgear is no longer supporting me, even though I am to have Lifetime support. I now have two Readynas 316's. The first one sent 3 emails stating:

3VSB voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (3.12 V).

3VSB voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (3.10 V).

I was away when it sent those emails. When I got back it had stopped working.

Power supply tested fine on multi meter, replaced power supply anyways, still did not function.

Bought a used 316.

Followed the instructions here:

https://kb.netgear.com/22895/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Migrating-a-volume?article=22895

Migrated the disks to the working NAS, in the same order. Booted up the working NAS.

Working NAS now uses dead NAS's password. Does not use dead NAS's static IP. Has all dead NAS's logs. System overview page looks fine. But System volume page shows two volumes named data and data-1, and claims they are inactive.

The alarms yellow notification at the top tells me to "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4,5,6.

This is where I stopped.

Did some searching of the forums, came upon this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Remove-inactive-volumes-to-use-the-...

Sandshark's post at the bottom might be related to what I am seeing, but am unsure.

Please advise,

Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Re: Need help

@Enigma123 wrote:

Does not use dead NAS's static IP.

I am thinking the IP was actually reserved in the router (and not manually configured in the web ui).  The new NAS ethernet has a different MAC address of course, so a reservation would no longer work.

@Enigma123 wrote:

Hello all,

I am hoping someone here can assist me, as Netgear is no longer supporting me, even though I am to have Lifetime support. I now have two Readynas 316's. The first one sent 3 emails stating:

3VSB voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (3.12 V).

I was away when it sent those emails. When I got back it had stopped working.

Power supply tested fine on multi meter, replaced power supply anyways, still did not function.

Bought a used 316.

Followed the instructions here:

https://kb.netgear.com/22895/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Migrating-a-volume?article=22895

Migrated the disks to the working NAS, in the same order. Booted up the working NAS.

Working NAS now uses dead NAS's password. Does not use dead NAS's static IP. Has all dead NAS's logs. System overview page looks fine. But System volume page shows two volumes named data and data-1, and claims they are inactive.

The alarms yellow notification at the top tells me to "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4,5,6.

This is where I stopped.

Did some searching of the forums, came upon this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Remove-inactive-volumes-to-use-the-...

Sandshark's post at the bottom might be related to what I am seeing, but am unsure.

Please advise,

Thanks!

@Enigma123 wrote:

But System volume page shows two volumes named data and data-1, and claims they are inactive.

Did you shut down the old NAS normally, or had it completely failed before you could do that?

Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 2 of 21
Enigma123
Aspirant

Thanks for your response StephenB.

Can confirm it was not a static address mapped from DHCP server.

Did not shut down normally. Failed before I could do that.

Do not have a backup.

Message 3 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Enigma123 wrote:

Do not have a backup.

Normally I recommend using Netgear Support to resolve the inactive volume issue - there are several possible causes, and no cook-book troubleshooting procedure I know of.  But since your volume is now in a used NAS, then I don't think you are able to get support.

@rn_enthusiast  is a former netgear employee who has sometimes helped out on this issue. I'm tagging him, in hopes he will respond.

Message 4 of 21
Enigma123
Aspirant

Thanks very much StephenB.

I have sent Netgear an email. What a sad state of support for us who have Netgear NAS's. Imagine buying a used GMC or Ford, and then going to the dealership and them saying, oh, sorry, we won't help you now since you bought it used.

Message 5 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

The 3.3VSB (Volts StandBy) is a problem I've seen on a few units reported here.  It's the voltage that powers the on/off circuit and the Ethernet.  But it's also always on, even when the unit is off.  But the fan isn't running when the unit's off.  So if the NAS is allowed to get too warm while plugged in but off, it can cause damage to the 3.3VSB down-converter circuit.  Of course, since it's always on, it's also more likely to be the first failure no matter what.  I think your old NAS is probably not repairable since Netgear has not made schematics available.

Your problem with the volume may be related if there was some kind of disturbance in other power sources when the issue with the 3.3VSB started and/or got worse that caused a glitch while writing to it.

You see "two volumes" because the OS doesn't know how to concatenate all the drives -- there is some kind of inconsistency.  It thinks you have two incomplete ones instead of one complete one.  It can't call them both "data", so it labels one of them "data-0" (which is the name given to the MDADM RAID).  Don't mess with them except as directed by somebody here who knows about BTRFS.  They can't be read by themselves, and deleting one will make things worse.

Message 6 of 21
Enigma123
Aspirant

I have seen it a couple of times in my searching as well. I tried bypassing the on/off soft power circuit on the broken NAS, which got it further, but still not functional. The fact that you are saying that the 3.3VSB does the ethernet is new information to me. So the device may have been functioning, just not accessible via my network? Any other way to access the device? I see there is an HDMI port... Will try the old device on that and see what happens.

The device will have never gotten warm when off. I doubt there were any power issues. Device is doubly protected by UPS's, and power supply checked out. Guessing something on the board's 3.3VSB calved.

Awaiting *hopefully* further instructions on BTRFS!

Thanks Sandshark.

Message 7 of 21
Enigma123
Aspirant

Update: HDMI port provided no display.

Message 8 of 21
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Thanks for the tag @StephenB 

@Enigma123- can you pull a log-set for me, please?

When you access the NAS Admin web page, go to: System > Logs and here you will see a button called "Download Logs" on the right-hand side. Click this and it will download a zip file with all the NAS logs inside.

Take this zip file and upload to your Dropbox, Google Drive or similar and then make a link where I can download the log zip file. PM me this link please. Then I will have a look to see what is going on.

Cheers

Message 9 of 21
Enigma123
Aspirant

Good morning rn_enthusiast, 

I would gladly pull logs for you, however when I try to download them in Firefox it tries to but does nothing, and when I try in Chrome it opens up a new tab ending in dbbroker and just spins trying to load it, eventually ending in a 504 gateway timeout error.

I can see the logs from the readynas interface though. 

Please advise,

Thanks!

Message 10 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Enigma123 wrote:

I would gladly pull logs for you, however when I try to download them in Firefox it tries to but does nothing, and when I try in Chrome it opens up a new tab ending in dbbroker and just spins trying to load it, eventually ending in a 504 gateway timeout error.

Are you logging into https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the real IP address of course)?  Or are you using ReadyCloud?

Message 11 of 21
Enigma123
Aspirant

Good morning StephenB,

I am using the web interface. Should I use readycloud?

Please advise,

Thanks!

Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Enigma123 wrote:

Should I use readycloud?

No.

Message 13 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

That can be caused by a too-full OS partition.  Do you have SSH access?  There are some commands that can help determine the state of the NAS, and you can even command the creation of a log.  But you should first determine if the root partition is too full.

Message 14 of 21
Enigma123
Aspirant

Apologies for my late response.

I do indeed have ssh access.

Please advise,

Thanks!
Message 15 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Enigma123 wrote:

I do indeed have ssh access.

Please advise,

Try these commands:

root@NAS:~# btrfs fi df /
Data, single: total=1.62GiB, used=1.03GiB
System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
Metadata, DUP: total=128.00MiB, used=13.27MiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=16.00MiB, used=0.00B

root@NAS:~# df -h .
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0        4.0G  1.1G  2.7G  29% /
root@NAS:~#

Also, if you can get a USB drive (or thumb drive) to mount, you can create a log zip from ssh (writing it to the USB drive).

rnutil create_system_log -o /path/filename.zip

using an appropriate path and filename of course.

Message 16 of 21
Enigma123
Aspirant

Attached please find the results of first two commands.

I can't access the device right now, recovering from knee surgery, and cannot complete the USB inserting and mounting task. That will have to wait a week or two.

Please advise,

Thanks!
Message 17 of 21
StephenB
Guru

The OS partition is not full (about 25% used), so that is not a factor.

Message 18 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

You can unzip the contents of a log zip (created using the command @StephenB gave above) on the NAS itself and view the contents, if you have sufficient familiarity with the Linux command line.  If you've not already done so, you may want to install an editor better than VI to use in viewing the log files.  I like nano.

Message 19 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

You can unzip the contents of a log zip (created using the command @StephenB gave above) on the NAS itself and view the contents, if you have sufficient familiarity with the Linux command line.  

Yes, though with an inactive volume it all needs to fit within the OS partition.  Which is why I suggested a USB drive.

Since the ReadyNAS application appears to be running, an NTFS (or VFAT) formatted drive should end up mounted automatically.

Message 20 of 21
Enigma123
Aspirant

Should I wait until I can plug in a USB drive, or do it now? If now then where should I put it?

Please advise,

Thanks all.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements