× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear RN104 Failed firmware update

popey
Aspirant

Netgear RN104 Failed firmware update

Hello!

I bought a RN104 back in July 2015 and it's been happily sat serving files up for a while now. Periodically I'll login and do whatever updates are waiting. Most recently (maybe 6.9.5) I did the update and now it's broken. It boots to "Boot from USB failed" on the screen. I found some forum threads and figured I'd make a USB key with firmware on. I did that, and booted from it. It booted into recovery then shut down. I did as instructed and removed the USB key and started up again. Now it's back to "Boot from USB failed" and I can't get past that.

I followed this guide. https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

What do I need to do to get past this issue - and keep my data?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 6
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Netgear RN104 Failed firmware update

Hi @popey 

I think a good few people have had "issues" with the USB recovery procedure in the past. It seems a little "finicky" to get to work, at times.

Your issue does sound like a problem with either corrupt OS firmware on the flash chip of the flash chip itself being bad. I suggest that you try the procedure a few more times with different USBs as well. It is important that the USB is perfectly healthy as well.

You data is very likely total unharmed. It is possible to re-load the NAS OS firmware image onto the flash chip manually via the NAS CLI, but that should not be attempted unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Give it a few more go'es with the USB recovery procedure and if you cannot get further it is best advised to reach out to Netgear support.

Message 2 of 6
popey
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt response.

I've tried a dozen times with 3 different USB keys. Part of the problem is I don't know what a successful flash should look like. It certainly boots via USB, and puts up a message about USB Recovery. However I don't know if I should see some progress indicator, a success message or what?

Message 3 of 6
Hopchen
Prodigy

I think a successful re-image is that the NAS powers down afterwards.

Since it still does not work then perhaps the issue is the flash chip itself.

Might be best to reach out to support at this point.

Message 4 of 6
popey
Aspirant

It does indeed power down afterwards.

I'm very disappointed that after 3 years of incredibly light use, the flash has failed on this. 😞

Message 5 of 6
popey
Aspirant

Ok, so I have tried a few more times and can't get past this.

What's my alternative? Can I flash the firmware some other way that provides more debug output?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements