× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ReadyNAS 314 (Installation and networking)

Colin_CS
Aspirant

Netgear ReadyNAS 314 (Installation and networking)

Hello all,

Some years ago i bought a Netgear ReadyNAS 314 to store files away. From the start i had problems with setting the system up and running with i think with one of the reasons that on this moment i dont have a router at home, all the internet acces i do at home is through my 4g internet connection. I'm not very known in everything in meaning with IP's, IvP4, IvP6 to let this system work for me.

On this moment i got all the harddisks in the system, powered with a internet cable to my laptop (wifi through my mobile, windows 10 home) and a screen on the ReadyNAS saying no IP found (understandible).

Anybody that can help me with this total setup also knowing i dont have a disc for installing and the readycloud.netgear.com website doesnt work anymore...

Hopefully somebody can help me after all these years of trying different stuff

Thanks!

Colin

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS 314 (Installation and networking)

@Colin_CS 

Welcome to the Community!

Since you do not have a router, you will have to direct-connect your ReadyNAS to your PC. There are KBs you can follow.

You can do this by following this KB on how to direct-connect your NAS.

Use the following guide to setup static IP.

For Setting a static IP on your ReadyNAS 

For Setting up static IP on your PC

Your PC and ReadyNAS Should be on the same Subnet. For example, you can set the ReadyNAS IP address to 192.168.1.251 and the PC should have 192.168.1.252. Subnet mask for both should be 255.255.255.0 and gateway/router can be 192.168.1.1

Download RAIDar and run to discover the ReadyNAS.

After discovery follow the offline mode setup on this KB.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Colin_CS 

Welcome to the Community!

Since you do not have a router, you will have to direct-connect your ReadyNAS to your PC. There are KBs you can follow.

You can do this by following this KB on how to direct-connect your NAS.

Use the following guide to setup static IP.

For Setting a static IP on your ReadyNAS 

For Setting up static IP on your PC

Your PC and ReadyNAS Should be on the same Subnet. For example, you can set the ReadyNAS IP address to 192.168.1.251 and the PC should have 192.168.1.252. Subnet mask for both should be 255.255.255.0 and gateway/router can be 192.168.1.1

Download RAIDar and run to discover the ReadyNAS.

After discovery follow the offline mode setup on this KB.

I hope this helps!

Message 2 of 7
Colin_CS
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V !

Thank you so much for this great guide. In the end i got it all working with all the adjustments to also enter the files from a map in my netwerk on my laptop. 

On the start i got all the stuff working and was able to get some Apps working on the ReadyNAS but now after a day or 2 i get notifications on the antivirus but also the apps dont show anymore

Any idea how to fix this because on the start of the installation of the ReadyNAS with a ethernat cable and IP shown it was able to download some of them but now it looks like there is no way to get this connection.

Already thanks for everything you did!

Colin

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Colin_CS wrote:

On the start i got all the stuff working and was able to get some Apps working on the ReadyNAS but now after a day or 2 i get notifications on the antivirus but also the apps dont show anymore

Any idea how to fix this because on the start of the installation of the ReadyNAS with a ethernat cable and IP shown it was able to download some of them but now it looks like there is no way to get this connection.

The direct ethernet connection to the PC allows you to reach the NAS, but the NAS can't reach the internet.  So anti-virus updates won't happen, time won't be synced.  The app list is downloaded from Netgear, so that won't be updated either.

If you need all that, then the best approach is to get a persistent internet service from an ISP plus a router.

There is potentially another way - which is to install internet connection sharing on the PC, and then coonect the PC wifi to the hotspot.  The connection sharing would allow the NAS to reach the internet through the PC.  You can google internet connection sharing on Windows if you want more information on this.

Message 4 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Colin_CS 

I agree with @StephenB getting the NAS connected to the Internet would be your best option.

Stay safe!

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Frankly, I'd just turn off the virus protection.  If the NAS has not internet connection and the computer connected to it has protection, where will a virus come from?  And OS updates and apps can be installed locally.  Time drift can cause a problem if it gets too large, though.  You'll want to set up your PC as an NTP server (How-to-Configure-a-Local-NTP-Server ) and tell the NAS to use it.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Frankly, I'd just turn off the virus protection.  If the NAS has not internet connection and the computer connected to it has protection, where will a virus come from?  And OS updates and apps can be installed locally.  Time drift can cause a problem if it gets too large, though.  You'll want to set up your PC as an NTP server (How-to-Configure-a-Local-NTP-Server ) and tell the NAS to use it.

That is of course the other option.

One thing @Colin_CS would also lose if he goes this route is email alerts.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements