× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS 524X CPU running alarmingly hot

JMBerry
Aspirant

Netgear ReadyNAS 524X CPU running alarmingly hot

Summary: I purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS 524X (FW is current: 6.10.1, no betas) late August/early September of this year (2019), had to go out of town, so didn't even take it out of the box until I'd returned, and the drives I ordered for it arrived (October 5th, last Saturday). I was easily able to install them & configure the NAS without issue...save for what appears to be an inordinately high CPU temperature.

I've been monitoring it via the admin page etc, and even in a room of 68-72 degrees (F), keeping the CPU temp below 115F/46C has proven difficult, even under no load (!). Under ANY sort of load (e.g., syncing the discs, transferring files) it jumps up to 158F/70C. That's SEVENTY DEGREES CELSIUS (!).

The System temperature seems within reason (as do the individual harddrives themselves), and with the fan set to the fastest setting (Cool), the system is around 93F/34C, and each drive around 98-100F/37-38C. The best figures, to date (and this is under ZERO load, and naturally in a cool, well-ventilated area, though I've added another fan to blow directly ON the NAS) are:

System: 32C/90F
Drives: 36C/96F
CPU: 43C/109F

That is the LOWEST I am able to get it, and again: it is under as close to zero load as possible (per the Performance graphs etc).

I can provide screen caps and any other info as needed. Per the HD Compatibility list for the ReadyNAS 524X (https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List), I am using supported and identical Seagate drives (ST8000NM0055) installed in all four bays. In an attempt to troubleshoot, I also reset the unit, and installed just two drives...yet had the same high CPU temps (the number of drives made no difference in CPU idle or load temps, it seemed), while the system & HD temps all remained well within reason.

Is there a known issue with the 524X? I just got it, and don't want to void the warranty by checking the thermal grease on the CPU...however, 70C in an otherwise cool room, even under load, seems life-shorteningly extreme (even for the Intel D1508 Dual Core 2.2GHz CPU), and I don't want to have to deal with the NAS dying in a year or two.

I welcome any advice, and if I don't get any feedback from this forum, will take it up with support. And, YES, I have searched these forums multiple times, though if there's anything specific to the 524 and the CPU running too hot, I've been missing it (so links are appreciated as well).

Thanks in advance for reading, and again: further info available upon request.

~J

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 11
JMBerry
Aspirant

This is with the fan set to 'Quiet' (the lowest setting). That...cannot POSSIBLY be good for the device...

I suppose I'll be escalating this to a formal support ticket.

~J

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

The RN524x CPU does tend to run a bit hot, but not 70C hot.  Mine typically runs at 55C with the fan set on balanced.  Though it's not on that much (it's a backup NAS on a power schedule), so I don't monitor the temps very closely.

There are a couple other posts on this - for instance here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-RN524X-CPU-temperature-too...

Try opening the door - a few folks have posted that can drop the temp by 10C.

Message 3 of 11
JMBerry
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

The RN524x CPU does tend to run a bit hot, but not 70C hot.  Mine typically runs at 55C with the fan set on balanced.  Though it's not on that much (it's a backup NAS on a power schedule), so I don't monitor the temps very closely.

There are a couple other posts on this - for instance here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-RN524X-CPU-temperature-too...

Try opening the door - a few folks have posted that can drop the temp by 10C.

First, thanks for the reply; I did read over that thread, and am figuring I'm probably going to have to deal w/Netgear support on this, as its purpose was to be...well, just an always-on NAS on my home network (which is sophisticated enough to handle Link Aggregation, etcetera: I mean, I'm not a *total* savage when it comes to tech).

Aaand I should have mentioned I've only got it down to cool temps keeping the door wide open (even hit that 70C mark with the front open), so...feh. Really didn't want to deal with the hassle of replacing it, and while I'm capable of ensuring adequate ductility when it comes to heatsinking, no WAY am I voiding the warranty on something I quite literally just got.

Thanks again for your time and advice 🙂

Best Regards,

~J

Message 4 of 11
JMBerry
Aspirant

OK, submitted a support request (see graphic).

"The reference number is [BLANK] a representative will review your ticket and reply to you shortly.

We have sent a confirmation email to [BLANK] You will receive an email notification when our support representative replies to your query."

Hey, at least it's nice to know I've at least got a TT number & that they emailed me a confirmation *checks* oh yeah no they totally didn't. For either.

Yare yare...

I guess I'll be calling when time permits tomorrow. What a tremendous PITA.

~J

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Did you request an RMA or just ask for support?

Message 6 of 11
JMBerry
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Did you request an RMA or just ask for support?

Well, neither apparently 😕

I was just trying to get with support (though RMAing is likely where that'll go)...and this leaves me with further questions; if you can answer them, or at least share your thoughts, I'd be *incredibly* appreciative. Contrariwise, if you have no response (or time to respond) I fully understand, and please accept my thanks for what you've said so far.

Just from the few threads I could find here referencing the 524 & CPU temps, it sounds as if instead of proper thermal grease, a (sub-par) thermal pad was used, so...I'm forced to wonder if even an RMA would just be exchanging one lemon for another lemon (or potential lemon, at least). That said...I then wonder if I wouldn't be better off returning this one entirely, and upgrading to (say) a 526* model -- at which point, my question is mostly the same: is the entire line cursed with poor CPU heatsinking or the like?

Any thoughts or information you care to share with me would not fall upon deaf ears, and I'd be eternally grateful for your commentary (as well as that of anyone else who feels like weighing in), and I would like to get this resolved ASAP, as I've already spent enough hours on it to have covered the cost of having bought a much nicer NAS (no joke - kicking myself I didn't just bite the bullet & pay 2-3X the amount of the 524X).

-=(Feel free to skip what follows, as I'm aware you didn't ask for my Curriculum Vitae)=-

While I've only got a handful of devices registered under my 'personal' account here (a few switches, smart & dumb, stuff like that), I've been working in IT/IS long enough to be considered 'Senior' (ha!), and I *do* have plenty of experience with Netgear's products, mostly networking, I admit, and for SOHO/SMB-level stuff, I can honestly say they've seldom if ever really disappointed, with their products working as advertised, and being robust enough that I can recommend them in good conscience. In short, I'm not hating on Netgear or their products, as this is literally the second time I've had any issues with something made by them at *all* (and given the variety of gear I've worked with, that's saying something, as even with the best, given adequate volume, there are *always* some fails, as I'm sure you're well aware).

Having not used anything in their Storage/NAS line before, it *does* make me a trifle leery of their NASs, so...as a first experience...not so great.

TLDR: I'm not averse to their products by any stretch, and am hardly a newbie (despite my recent presence on this forum) when it comes to IT, networking, RAIDs, or the like (again, not like you asked for my CV, so you can take my word for it or not; my point is, I do have a reasonably extensive tech background; I guess...my due diligence wasn't diligent enough when it came to researching this model).

Again, thanks, and I'll await your feedback, though I'm going to resubmit my previous request to them, as the first clearly failed to go through (I never did receive any followup email, and was logged onto their site when I sent it, so...huh).

Take care,

~J

Message 7 of 11
JMBerry
Aspirant

OK...I've been on with support since...about 11am today (!).

Reran every single test I've been running, and gave them loads of screenshots.

They gave me a link to new FW, I manually updated it, and still running at temps which are in the 70s (Celsius). Of course, it isn't truly quiescent now, as I flashed the FW & did a factory reset (I'm getting rather experienced at those with this device...) as it is syncing et al, however...I'm still kinda skeeved at having a NAS where the *idle* CPU temp (it *never* gets below the low 40s, C, even in a cool area, plenty of space, an extra fan blowing ON the unit, and the front door open, internal fan on highest setting) is actually higher than the highest temp on any other device I have, workstation or other.

They don't want to RMA it, saying (edited solely for brevity):

"I was inquiring this with Level 3 support. After telling the 70C CPU temperature it seems normal to them" & "That is what I've been told when my senior tech messaged one of our L3 support to inquire your issue."

(The second part was a response to when I asked, "Really? 70 Degrees Celsius?").

I am...regretting my purchase, and if I hadn't had to go out of town (leaving the unit in the original box, untouched in the living room, until my return), I'd have just returned it to Amazon by this point >:/

Message 8 of 11
JMBerry
Aspirant

To be clear...

Having dealt with Annoying Clients (and knowing all too well the *tremendous* PITA which helpdesk/TT stuff can be, as one so often has belligerent idiots to deal with...my frustrations aside, I did my best to be polite and patient.

And, that said, those I dealt with were nothing but polite and as helpful as they could be, and I'm not saying they were anything but gracious; just...ultimately unhelpful.

I'm very disappointed, as over the years, I've had remarkably few issues with Netgear & their products; given the sheer volume of their products I've dealt with, a mere couple of issues is *really* trivial.

As a private person, not acting under the aegis of a large organization, however...this has not left the best taste in my mouth. Much as I'd have preferred a solution, even just RMAing it at this point would be fine.

Whether this is satisfactorily resolved remains to be seen, ultimately, and that will dictate further business dealings with them for me, at least when it comes to their storage devices.

*shrug*

/endrant

Message 9 of 11
ctechs
Apprentice

70's C doesn't strike me as an unsafe or unheard of temperature for a later generation intel CPU under full load. It's listed as a 25W part on intel's site, so it may be a little high, but I'm not surprised by it. The D-1500 series datasheet available from Intel recommends setting a "hot trip point" to 108C and the "catastrophic trip point" to 120C, so I think they're operating well within the thermal threshold of the CPU. Per the datasheet, the D-1500 series has built in thermal throttling as well - phase one of which doesn't activate until 108C.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/91558/intel-pentium-processor-d1508-3m-cache-2-...

Message 10 of 11
JMBerry
Aspirant

@ctechs wrote:

70's C doesn't strike me as an unsafe or unheard of temperature for a later generation intel CPU under full load. It's listed as a 25W part on intel's site, so it may be a little high, but I'm not surprised by it. The D-1500 series datasheet available from Intel recommends setting a "hot trip point" to 108C and the "catastrophic trip point" to 120C, so I think they're operating well within the thermal threshold of the CPU. Per the datasheet, the D-1500 series has built in thermal throttling as well - phase one of which doesn't activate until 108C.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/91558/intel-pentium-processor-d1508-3m-cache-2-...

See, that's the sort of thing which, had it been supplied much earlier on (and I'd searched, somehow missing that precise one: I now have a PDF of it) would have been *awfully* nice to have had closer to the start of things; not even counting the wasted days, it could have saved me about 3.5 hours today if that had been presented *up front*, versus a few hours in.

Also worth noting is -- during the more extensive & repetitive troubleshooting I performed during the hours I was dealing with Netgear's tech support -- it wasn't difficult to get it up into the 60s/70s centigrade with little load. Heavens forbid if I were to:

-Remove the extra fans which I moved into an already chilly room & which I directed on the device (which isn't a permanent solution in any event);

-Had some manner of failure where the ambient temps went *above* the 68-72F which is what this room is kept at;

-Be dumb enough to close the front door of the unit (!)

-Set the internal fan to anything but the highest RPM

...etcetera. It's a combination of factors permitting me to get it down to the 40s *while idle*, as I think I've noted here before.

Also, not sure if the new FW they gave me (6.10.2) has anything to do with some other problems I had, though for the first time, it booted me out of the admin page (twice) and then locked the admin account (even with the default PW "password"...which I reset...twice...).

That bit of malperformance was new and unexpected, as prior to engaging support, I'd already gone a number of rounds doing factory defaults/resets, and wasn't expecting that (another reason I eschew the use of beta FWs for any device which I want to be stable).

I just wanted a NAS which would be reliable, under (what I see as entirely) reasonable environmental conditions -- not like it's in a ventless heated room or the like); I...don't think that's such a *huge* ask, really.

Apologies If I seem curt: I'm just irritated over the entire situation, as I not only wasted *more* time today, it not only didn't solve anything -- it seems to have worsened it (though I won't know the full extent until after the drives are re-synced, and ready to be tested _yet again_).

Though, yes, obviously, an RMA seems out of the question, as it hasn't got to the point where the CPU has burned itself up...yet.

I...guess I could force the issue by closing the front door, and setting it up in a room which wasn't climate-controlled; leaving it in a room (on a UPS, no worries) which reached such appalling temps as 76-78 F, and I feel fairly certain it'd fry...though I'm pulling my HCL-approved drives out first, *that's* for sure...

Anyway, thanks for your input. It doesn't fall on deaf ears/blind eyes, and again: apologies if I seem short. It's been a very long day for me, this has been an ongoing issue, and spending hours circling the Tier One drain today did *not* help my mood.

Take care (and hopefully no offense),

~J

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements