× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000 V3) has died

JamesHorton
Guide

Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000 V3) has died

Hi, everyone

I was hoping for some advice, please. My Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000 V3) has died.

It fails to switch on and boot. I've checked the PCU which is dead.

I believe it is beyond the cost of repair/replacement parts? As I'm not sure if there are any other issues with it.

I still hope to retrieve the 4TB (2TB SATA drives x2) Data stored in RAID from it.

I've read conflicting things online, and it's just frying my noodle at the moment. How is best to go about this? 

Q. Can I just insert the drives into a New NAS? Netgear or other Branded NAS?

I've also found someone who is selling a second-hand model that is similar to mine, would that be a straight plug and play?

Q. Can I just connect them to a computer using a SATA to USB cable? 

I am thinking if I can retrieve the data I could upload it to a cloud account.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance.

Kindest regards,

James

Message 1 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

No, you cannot just just mount them in another NAS of a different model/brand.  You can move them to another NV+V1 (yes, I know you said yours is "V3", but that's not how we designate it here, as there is a "V2" that was released after yours and is completely different).  Basically, any unit that looks like yours (silver with internal PSU).

If you know what you are doing, you can mount them in any Linux system (including a NAS) that has MDADM and LVM installed and mount the volume there.

You can put them in a PC (including using USB caddies) and use r-studio or similar software.  Windows will not be able to read the drives directly, and Linux Subsystem for Windows just isn't yet up to the task, but r-studio and some other products will.

If you have an available ATX power supply, you can also make an adapter cable to use that supply externally to power the NAS long enough to recover the data.  Note that while the power connector looks like a standard 20-pin ATX, it's wired differently -- which is why you need the adapter.

Message 2 of 10
JamesHorton
Guide

@Sandshark Thanks, for responding. I may go with trying to get a similar unit? First.

I found a guy selling a second-hand one, the only difference was it had a power switch on the back PSU?  Which made me wonder if it was modified. The seller didn't know as he was given it by his work years ago.

Failing that I could try the other routes you mention, I did something similar when I created a Linux boot drive to recover a single disk for a friend of mine. Though I will have to source some parts, as I have had several clearouts over the years and have literally nothing lying around.

Thanks again for your help.

Kindest regards,

James

Message 3 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I believe some were manufactured with rear switches.  I honestly don't remember if any of mine did, but there are more than one on eBay that have them, and it's clearly not some modification hack.   Netgear may have had two different suppliers.  Or maybe the switch, or lack of one, is the difference on one of the three hardware versions.

Message 4 of 10
JamesHorton
Guide

Thanks for your help. I bought a similar second-hand model and put my drives straight in and booted up with no problems.

The only issue I have now is the http & https SSL issue to access front view. But at least I can access my files over wifi for now.

Kindest regards,

James

Message 5 of 10
cathcam
Tutor

You can download a copy of Firefox 78.9.0esr release that will still allow you to access the ReadyNAS using TLS 1.0.Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/78.9.0esr/ (mozilla.org)

It's also possible to update the certificate and software but a lot more complicated than having a back level browser sitting around.

I also had my power supply on my NVX go. I bought a power supply from the UK and fitted it myself, it was very simple.

++Mark. 

https://ctproduced.com

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@cathcam wrote:

You can download a copy of Firefox 78.9.0esr release that will still allow you to access the ReadyNAS using TLS 1.0.Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/78.9.0esr/ (mozilla.org)

FWIW, you don't have to go back that far.  Firefox 94.0.2 will also work (and perhaps a slightly newer releases also).

Message 7 of 10
JamesHorton
Guide

Firefox 78.9.0esr release appears not to work for me? I did consider a new power supply, but it was cheaper for me (half the price) to buy a second-hand Ready NAS, also not knowing if it was only the power supply that was the only issue, I didn't want to waste money.

Thanks,

James

Message 8 of 10
JamesHorton
Guide

Firefox 94.0.2 release appears not to work for me also? I'm on a mac if that makes any difference?

I think I'll check my network settings. As I only can connect via wifi. Very odd.

Thanks,

James

Message 9 of 10
JamesHorton
Guide

Sorted. Netgear default password. Using Opera, to gain access to Frontview. It may work in other browsers? I would have to try them next.

Thanks, everyone.

Kindest Regards

James

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements