× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Terminating ReadyCLOUD Service

rodcrit
Luminary

Many thanks for responding to my plea for help.    I have a BT smart hub 2.  I don't know if this has OpenVPN, but have seen no mention of it in any documentation.

I confess I don't know where to go to from here.

it is annoying as I got the Netgear system because it had the readycloud facility which is relatively easy to use and now it is going to be terminated.  I can understand why but means I can no longer use the system for what I designed it.

my daughter in America is the one most to be affected as she uses the system most for sharing stuff with her Sister, basically for free.

anyway thanks for response.  will have to think where to go next.

Message 26 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@rodcrit wrote:

Many thanks for responding to my plea for help.    I have a BT smart hub 2.  I don't know if this has OpenVPN, but have seen no mention of it in any documentation.

The documentation I am finding on-line doesn't have much content, but I am guessing that you don't have it in your router.

@rodcrit wrote:

I confess I don't know where to go to from here.

ZeroTier can be installed on the NAS, though it also can be tricky to set up. @Sandshark has current experience with ZeroTier, so could help you through the setup here.

One non-VPN option is to use FTPS - which is encrypted.  The FileZilla client would work at the two remote sites.  

You'd need to set up some port forwarding in the router, and assign the NAS an IP address.  You'd also need a DDNS service. There would be some configuration needed on the NAS side - setting the passive port range, and ensuring that the NAS won't accept unencrypted FTP.

Plex could also be used for media playing - but while the NAS does have a plex app, I personally think you are better off setting up that on a PC.

Message 27 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

See ZeroTier-as-a-ReadyCloud-replacement for more information.

Message 28 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements