× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New HDDs (as of 2016) have 2 instead of 3 screwholes on left and right side, problem with disk trays

AGSowjet
Apprentice

New HDDs (as of 2016) have 2 instead of 3 screwholes on left and right side, problem with disk trays

We just upgraded our RN 104 with 2 new 8 TB disks: Seagate Archive HDD v2 8TB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST8000AS0002)

They are working fine, but I was having problems fixing them to the disk tray. New HDDs seem not anymore to be fitted with the middle screw hole on the sides, where a nozzle of the plastic tray of the RN104 should fit in.

In some FAQ here I found the advice to remove the plastic part of the tray and fix the disk(s) with screws. Actually I would have been able to mount only two screws at the bottom side, where screwholes from the tray and the disk matched. But I did not have matching screws in my PC screws box, they were all either too long or having the wrong thread.

So I fixed them without screws. After taking the plastic part out of the tray, I removed the two nozzles using a knife with serrated blade, leaving a very small bump, put the plastic part back in and fixed the disk. It is very firm and quiet in the tray now.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New HDDs (as of 2016) have 2 instead of 3 screwholes on left and right side, problem with disk t

Archive HDDs are not recommended for use in NAS units.

Message 2 of 11
AGSowjet
Apprentice

Re: New HDDs (as of 2016) have 2 instead of 3 screwholes on left and right side, problem with disk t

I did some research before making the choice. The disadvantages of Archive HDDs are: 1. compared with other recent HDDs, they have lower writing speed because they have to read data from nearby cylinders before writing (but compared to older HDDs they are not "slow" at all), 2. they have a transfer limit in "terabytes per year" which can void warranty if exceeded.

Both disadvantages are not important in our scenario. Our NAS is an archive, where lots of data is stored and rarely accessed.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@AGSowjet wrote:

I did some research before making the choice. The disadvantages of Archive HDDs are: 1. compared with other recent HDDs, they have lower writing speed because they have to read data from nearby cylinders before writing (but compared to older HDDs they are not "slow" at all),

Writing to track 1000 destroys the content on track 1001.  So you not only need to read track 1001, you then need to write it.  That destroys track 1002.  So the drive needs to "ripple" the writes until it reaches an unused track (or the end of the drive).  The drive takes care of this automatically.

But sustained write speed is therefore extremely variable and geneerally much slower than older hard drives.  There are some other implications - the drives will ignore spindown if they are in the middle of "rippling" the writes.

Also there have been some linus driver issues with these drives.  I'm not sure if they are all resolved yet.  

Message 4 of 11
Laserbait
Luminary

For what it's worth, my Seagate ST6000VN0021 (IronWolf NAS drive) also only has 2 holes per side, not 3,

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Laserbait wrote:

For what it's worth, my Seagate ST6000VN0021 (IronWolf NAS drive) also only has 2 holes per side, not 3,

The WDC drives I use (both 6 TB and 8 TB) do have three holes on the side.

Assuming the holes on the bottom are aligned: you can remove the plastic tray insert and screw the drives into the tray from the bottom.

Message 6 of 11
AGSowjet
Apprentice

If you happen to have some screws that will fit... Which one is it?

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

The NAS should have come with the appropriate screws - if yours didn't you could try contacting Netgear support.

The spec is 6-32 4mm flathead/countersunk head with an 82 degree pitch.  Sandshark posted an Amazon link some time ago http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-Screw-Label-3-5-Inch-MCP-410-00005-0N/dp/B00353EKR8

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Drive-Tray-Screws/m-p/970785/highlight/true#M91...

Message 8 of 11
Chris2309
Aspirant

Just unwrapped the NAS 214 and 2 Seagates Ironwolf 6TB - compatible per list. Issue inserting hard disks. Reason I see now is that Seagate has 2 holes in meantime (1 top, one down)

Plastic in slider has 2 ( 1 top one middle)

This makes it impossible to insert it easily. What is NETGEARS recommendation what I should do?

Thanks.

Message 9 of 11
jak0lantash
Mentor

Based on https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List, NETGEAR's recommendation is: "To mount the disk to the desktop NAS disk tray, remove the plastic mounting bracket from the disk tray and use two screws to secure the disk to the disk tray."

Message 10 of 11
AGSowjet
Apprentice

As I said, HDD manufacturers have decided to remove one of the screwholes and so they did, no matter what. 😄

I wonder how many PC professionals will have to find a creative solution when replacing HDDs with new HDDs in many different PC cases, NAS cases etc.

Anyway, I preferred my solution to modify the plastic bracket instead of removing it, as described above. The HDDs are very firm in place.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements