× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New ReadyNAS Duo v2 and wndr3800 FW .32

jlmacd
Aspirant

New ReadyNAS Duo v2 and wndr3800 FW .32

I recently bought a new Duo v.2 and have populated it with 2x 2TB Samsung F4 spinpoint drives (as shown on HCL). So far I have gone no further, since reading the horror stories relating to drive failures with drives attached to WNDR3800 with updated firmware to latest version (.32). I have just bought and installed a wndr3800 and duly upgraded the FW to the latest version (mostly in an effort to hopefully overcome the much reported connection dropout issues - which, touch wood, have not occurred yet!). However, I am now extremely wary of hooking the ReadyNAS up to the 3800 as, obviously, I do not want to risk damage to two brand new (and, these days, bloomin' costly!) drives.

I may have misread this situation (it could have been just referring to attached usb drives in ReadyShare mode) but, understandably, am feeling a bit cautious. Any help or insight to this would be much appreciated.
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: New ReadyNAS Duo v2 and wndr3800 FW .32

jlmacd wrote:
I recently bought a new Duo v.2 and have populated it with 2x 2TB Samsung F4 spinpoint drives (as shown on HCL). So far I have gone no further, since reading the horror stories relating to drive failures with drives attached to WNDR3800 with updated firmware to latest version (.32). I have just bought and installed a wndr3800 and duly upgraded the FW to the latest version (mostly in an effort to hopefully overcome the much reported connection dropout issues - which, touch wood, have not occurred yet!). However, I am now extremely wary of hooking the ReadyNAS up to the 3800 as, obviously, I do not want to risk damage to two brand new (and, these days, bloomin' costly!) drives.

I may have misread this situation (it could have been just referring to attached usb drives in ReadyShare mode) but, understandably, am feeling a bit cautious. Any help or insight to this would be much appreciated.
You have misread the situation. The WNDR3800 cannot cannot the drives inside the DUO v2.

Also according to the forum reports (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=75322) the WNDR3800 firmware bug results in incorrectly written files (data corruption), not actual damage to the USB drives themselves. If you plan to connect USB drives to your router, you should probably downgrade its firmware to .24 - you can download the older firmware here: http://support.netgear.com/app/products ... a_id/18163 If you have no such plans, you can simply leave it at .32
Message 2 of 4
jlmacd
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen. So, it would appear that the choice is either to retro the FW and gamble on having the connection dropping out or stay with .32 and have no ReadyShare utility on the USB - one of the main reasons for buying the 3800 in the first place. (A Rock and a Hard Place....comes to mind)

Do you think they will ever write a firmware version that will make this machine do what they claim (and are taking people's money for) ? Seems unlikely and, from all I read on the 3800 forum, bleakly disappointing.

More importantly, thank you for putting me straight with the RND2000 V2 situation - much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

jlmacd wrote:
Do you think they will ever write a firmware version that will make this machine do what they claim (and are taking people's money for) ? Seems unlikely and, from all I read on the 3800 forum, bleakly disappointing.
I think they will fix the data corruption bug. Their cloud strategy for the routers seems like a good approach overall, though obviously it depends on customer uptake as well as Netgear's execution. It will be interesting to see how/if they integrate ReadyNAS into the larger vision.

As far as readyshare on the 3800 goes, your duo can give you the same services with better performance.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements