× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New USB external disk WD 8 TB does not connect

janpeter1
Luminary

New USB external disk WD 8 TB does not connect

Hello,

I have a 5 year old RND314 thajt works well and I have just bought a new WD My Book 8 TD external disk for backkup. Previousl I have WD 4 TB.  The new externa disk I have tested with my Mac and works. Connected to the NAS it does not communicate. Tried both the front USB 2.0 and the rear USB 3.0 jackets. Also tried reformat the new USB disk on the Mac to ExFAT but did not help. Any idea?

When the external USB disk is connected it actually blocks the start-up. Never comes "booting" in the small window of the NAS. What can be wrong? This USB disk not compatible or what?

I run the latest firmware OS 6.10.4 by the way.

Thanks for your help

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: New USB external disk WD 8 TB does not connect

The problem is that the NAS doesn't support exfat.  https://kb.netgear.com/7009/ReadyNAS-OS-6-USB-Port-use

NTFS is the best option if you use a PC.  Though I think with a Mac, you'd either need access to a Windows system, or get a third-party package that will let you do the formatting on a Mac.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The problem is that the NAS doesn't support exfat.  https://kb.netgear.com/7009/ReadyNAS-OS-6-USB-Port-use

NTFS is the best option if you use a PC.  Though I think with a Mac, you'd either need access to a Windows system, or get a third-party package that will let you do the formatting on a Mac.

Message 2 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@janpeter1 wrote:

When the external USB disk is connected it actually blocks the start-up. Never comes "booting" in the small window of the NAS. What can be wrong?

These disks comes with various additional software on a dedicated bootable partition - which is bootable on industry standard x86 based systems what the RN are under the hood. To my knowledge, the ReadyNAS should boot from the external USB only using a defined process for recovery - and even a non-recognized file system should not cause this. @StephenB any insight on this?

Message 3 of 17
janpeter1
Luminary

I have difficulty to buy the idea that ReadyNAS should try to boot from the external USB - but something like that may actually happen.

As I wrote in the later part I did format the disk from the Mac with ExFAT and thought that would help, but did not.

Try to look up some PC and do NTFS there and see if that helps.

Thanks

Message 4 of 17
schumaku
Guru

Just formatting the obvious "big" storage partition alone might not help. This would require removing any partitions most likley hidden, then add one single partition and format again. The Windows 10 disk/partition manager does allow this.

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@janpeter1 wrote:

When the external USB disk is connected it actually blocks the start-up. Never comes "booting" in the small window of the NAS. What can be wrong?

These disks comes with various additional software on a dedicated bootable partition - which is bootable on industry standard x86 based systems what the RN are under the hood. To my knowledge, the ReadyNAS should boot from the external USB only using a defined process for recovery - and even a non-recognized file system should not cause this. @StephenB any insight on this?

I haven't played much with USB drives connected to my ReadyNAS - so I am not sure on this.

Message 6 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

I know that the latest BIOS for the RN516 allows it to boot from USB (including NAS USB recovery) without the need to go through the normal USB recovery process.  It wasn't true on the early models, but I don't know if there were intermediate ones that act the same.  The same isn't true for all ReadyNAS but may be on the 314.  I have no idea if Netgear asked for that change, or if came without them knowing (since they don't make the motherboard BIOS themselves).

Message 7 of 17
mdgm
Virtuoso

The change was made on newer RN300 series devices as well, however it should only try to boot automatically off a NTGR USB Service Key, not just any USB drive.

There was an updated USB3 F/W in a BIOS update as well, however if you are having problems using a drive with a USB2 port, the USB3 F/W isn’t the problem.

I do know that having internal disks formatted to boot Windows can mess with trying to boot into ReadyNAS OS.

If you check the date in bios_ver.log it can easily be confirmed whether you have a BIOS that automatically boots off NTGR USB Service keys or not.
Message 8 of 17
janpeter1
Luminary

I have one date in the bios_ver.log file and that is 11/05/2013 and bios_version 4.6.5.

What does that say?

The serial number there is ok.

Looks like a file made when the NAS was assembled, sort of.

Message 9 of 17
mdgm
Virtuoso

That date indicates you have the latest BIOS, so you have both the USB3 F/W upgrade and if a NTGR USB Service Key is connected the NAS should automatically boot off it on power on.

Message 10 of 17
janpeter1
Luminary

Does this explain that my NAS314 when connected to the new external NAS (formattaded as EXFAT) do not boot? Your idea is that it looks for a key for booting on the external disk that is not there, and that is why it does not go forward? 

Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

If it doesn't find a service key, then it shouldn't try to boot off the drive.

Since you are using exfat is that the NAS can't mount the USB drive.  Since we know that's a problem, I'd try fixing that first and see if the boot problem remains.

Are you using one of the USB 3 ports on the rear of the NAS, or the USB 2 port on the front?  Also, is the USB drive using mains power, or are you drawing power from the USB port?

Message 12 of 17
janpeter1
Luminary

Hi,

I have had the same problem with both front (USB-2) and back (USB-3).

And the external drive get the power separately and not through USB.

Further I run the NAS and also the external USB on the same UPS,

but the UPS alarm (in case of power-failure) to the NAS is not connected.

The other day I managed to get the USB HD re-formatted with NTFS in the shop.

Then back at my home-office I reformatted to BTRFS and made backups of

different parts, mainly using the faster USB-3. Needed to re-configure the backup jobs.

Everytning seems fine and I have filled up about 4 GB, about half the disk.

Thanks for the help. The fact that the external USB did block reproducible booting

seems we may not understand.

Jan Peter

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@janpeter1 wrote:

Then back at my home-office I reformatted to BTRFS

Can you access the BTRFS file system on your PCs?  If not, then I suggest going back to NTFS. Having backups you can't read on your other devices isn't a good backup strategy.

Message 14 of 17
janpeter1
Luminary

I actually run macOS but it can read NTFS disks.

However I run virtual machines with Windows 10 (and also one for Linux-Ubuntu).

Use VirtualBox. I think I can configure the VM Ubuntu to interact with a BTRFS disk,

but not done it yet. Understandt that you need to have ECC RAM to fully enjoy bit-rot protection.

But I guess some safety is better upheld with both NAS and external backup is BTRFS.

If you have som information here I would apprecite. 

As you say it can be practical to have at least one backup with NTFS.

Usually I have two with different file systems. Today the other ist EXT4 but

also need av VM Ubunto to read it and some configuration to connect the VM

to the USB-disk.

I was surprised that the NAS also can write to NTFS - I have missed that. 

No special draw-backs?

Message 15 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@janpeter1 wrote:

No special draw-backs?

It can also read NTFS again - just kidding.

The NTFS drivers on non-Windows NAS are mostly "read-all" and "write-all" - most NTFS security and access control is non-existent.

Restore does not bring back any special ownership, U**x masks, or ACLs back to the NAS.

Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@janpeter1 wrote:

No special draw-backs?

I think the key point is that you need to be able to read your backup on at least one other machine.  If you can read ext or btrfs, then it's fine to use those formats.

As far as file attributes and permissions go - I'd start with the question of what attributes matter to you.  Then do a test backup or two, and see if those are preserved [or not].  Probably worth checking no matter what file system you pick.

Personally I back up to other ReadyNAS using rsync - which will preserve the file attributes.  I don't have recent experience with backing up to USB disks.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements