× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New bigger disk in ReadyNas Duo V2

jasonbb
Tutor

New bigger disk in ReadyNas Duo V2

Hi guys, I have the Duo V2 and it had 2 x 2TB WD red drives installed, it's in X-RAID2, the second drive failed so I bought a 4TB WD red drive, I swapped the 2nd drive with the new 4TB drive and the sync finished after about 6 hours.  The available drive space has not changed though, it's still on 1.8TB

Model: ReadyNASRND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New bigger disk in ReadyNas Duo V2

Hi jasonbb,

X-RAID2 can only expand volumes when redundant space can be added. You will need to replace the other 2TB disk with a 4TB.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jasonbb,

X-RAID2 can only expand volumes when redundant space can be added. You will need to replace the other 2TB disk with a 4TB.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The rule for volume size with XRAID2 is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  

In a 2-bay system, there will be wasted space if the drives aren't the same size.  In systems with more bays, there will be wasted space if the two largest drives aren't the same size.

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote:

The rule for volume size with XRAID2 is "sum the disks and subtract the smallest".  

1x1TB + 1x4TB = 1TB RAID1

(1TB + 4TB) - 1TB = 4TB

7x1TB = 5TB RAID6

(1TB + 1TB + 1TB + 1TB + 1TB + 1TB + 1TB) - 1TB = 6TB

So this rule doesn't (always) apply, or did I get it wrong?

The problem is that it accounts for single redudancy space only, not for dual redundancy or unused capacity.

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

No, he just typed it too fast.  You have to add them all and subtract the largest, not the smallest.  This has the biggest impact on a 2 drive NAS, because the end result is "the size of the smallest".

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Sandshark wrote:

add them all and subtract the largest

Ok 🙂 that works... for single redundancy. If RAID6, then it's different rule, but single redundancy covers MOST cases.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

No, he just typed it too fast.  

Yes.  I edited the original post to fix it.

Dual redundancy XRAID: sum the disks and subtract the largest two.  Also you need at least 4 disks installed.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements