× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New disk, getting end-to-end errors, readynas 316

whc
Aspirant
Aspirant

New disk, getting end-to-end errors, readynas 316

Just installed new drive in my readynas 316 yesterday evening, about half way in rebuilding the volume, i get the error 4 times below:

Thu Jul 16 2015 15:59:02
Disk: Detected increasing end-to-end errors: [30] on disk 5 (Internal) [ST3000VN000-1HJ166, W6A0B1A6]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Thu Jul 16 2015 15:56:52
Disk: Detected increasing end-to-end errors: [24] on disk 5 (Internal) [ST3000VN000-1HJ166, W6A0B1A6] 0 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Thu Jul 16 2015 15:52:34
Disk: Detected increasing end-to-end errors: [22] on disk 5 (Internal) [ST3000VN000-1HJ166, W6A0B1A6] 0 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Thu Jul 16 2015 15:50:24
Disk: Detected increasing end-to-end errors: [15] on disk 5 (Internal) [ST3000VN000-1HJ166, W6A0B1A6] 0 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

The drive installed is a 3TB Segate NAS drive, latest firmware. Running with 2x1TB and 2x2TB (+ the new 3TB segate).

Does this mean the drive is bad, and should I ask for a replacement where i bought it, or just an error from the readynas OS?

Rebuilding is now done, and everything seems to work fine, so don't know if I should just cross my fingers and hope there is nothing wrong with the drive, or get a new drive and go through rebuilding the volume again?
Message 1 of 10
Nhellie
Virtuoso

It appears that the errors are increasing in a short time span.

You can check the drive's health by using disk diagnostic tools, you can download it from Seagate's website.
Seatools.
Message 2 of 10
whc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nhellie wrote:
It appears that the errors are increasing in a short time span.

You can check the drive's health by using disk diagnostic tools, you can download it from Seagate's website.
Seatools.

Tried the seatools, connected the drive with usb, but could not find the drive so never got to diagnostic the drive.
Message 3 of 10
Nhellie
Virtuoso

What's the status of the drive?

System>performance
Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You can also see the SMART stats by downloading the logs.

Though I'd exchange the drive with the retailer right away myself. I don't see any reason to wait.
Message 5 of 10
whc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nhellie wrote:
What's the status of the drive?

System>performance

Everything works fint, drive status is green and working. Have run the disk test in readiness, and no error.
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

End to end errors suggest a controller error with the drive. The parity for the data when it is in the drive's cache doesn't match the parity when the data is written to the drive.

I wouldn't trust that disk.
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
End to end errors suggest a controller error with the drive. The parity for the data when it is in the drive's cache doesn't match the parity when the data is written to the drive.

I wouldn't trust that disk.
Me either. The on-line stores I use (mostly amazon for disks) allow exchanges with no questions asked right after purchase.

If I had these messages I'd certainly exchange.
Message 8 of 10
whc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Went to the store today, they tested it for several hours with the segate tool, no errors so disk seems fine. Could it be a error coming from the ReadyNAS?
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

whc wrote:
Went to the store today, they tested it for several hours with the segate tool, no errors so disk seems fine. Could it be a error coming from the ReadyNAS?
No.

mdgm wrote:
The parity for the data when it is in the drive's cache doesn't match the parity when the data is written to the drive.
This is internal to the drive.

I'd get another one for peace of mind. They should be able to exchange with Seagate easily enough.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements