× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New drives. Not fully accessed

paulsb01
Aspirant

New drives. Not fully accessed

I took my old rdn4000u and out of storage as I want to use it as a back up. I Iinstalled 2 8tb drives after multiple tries, etc. erasingwith radar, etc it only sets it up a 1.3 tb. This is a 4 bay unit and I'm only using 2 bays. 

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: New drives. Not fully accessed

@paulsb01 wrote:

What is the best way to set this up for 2) 8tb drives.. one to mirror the other in case of failure.

Do I use the pin hole on the back of the NAS and if so, which setting?

What you need is to do a factory default.

It is possible to do this with the reset pinhole, but the simplest way is to use the admin web interface (https://nas-ip-address/admin )

Choose System, and then Update from the left menus.  Then select the "factory default" tab in the center, and then "Perform Factory Default".

The system will likely ask for confirmation (it's been a while since I did this), and then when it boots up it will automatically create a RAID-1 array.  The ReadyNAS will be syncing the array for a while, but you can configure it during the process.  Note you can also start loading it with data, but it will go faster if you wait for the array to be built.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

There is no such thing as a "rdn4000u".  But I think you have an RND4000-100, which is an NV+ V1.  If it's silver in color, that's what it is (regardless of any sticker that has another version number on it).

The maximum drive size on an NV+ V1 is 2TB, and it is a hardware limitation, not firmware.  1.3TB is what's seen when the system ignores the highest order bits in the reported drive size.

If you have an RNDU4000 or RNDP400U, which are black in color, then you would have to have really ancient firmware to have a 2TB limit per drive.

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

If you have an RNDU4000 or RNDP400U, which are black in color, then you would have to have really ancient firmware to have a 2TB limit per drive.

You'd need at least 4.2.12 to get support for 4K sector drives.  But if you have an ultra or pro, you should be running at least 4.2.31 anyway, so I suggest upgrading to that.

However, you'd still only be able to expand the array to 3x8TB - there is a 16 TiB volume limit in 4.2.x firmware.  So a better strategy would be to first update to 4.2.31, and then convert the NAS to run OS-6.

Message 3 of 10
paulsb01
Aspirant

Thank you.. you are reffering to the RADAR or the firmware in the NAS itself?  We are only useing 2 8tb drives. 

Message 4 of 10
paulsb01
Aspirant

I have th RNDU4000.

Yes it old that's why I upgrade to a Synology NAS. I thought I couild use this as the back up. 

But if its limited to 2 TB.. then its a no.  Thank you

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@paulsb01 wrote:

I have th RNDU4000.

Yes it old that's why I upgrade to a Synology NAS. I thought I couild use this as the back up. 

But if its limited to 2 TB.. then its a no.  Thank you

Did you read the full responses above? What firmware is the NAS running now?

You can use 2x8TB RAID-1 or 3x8TB RAID-5 in an RNDU4000 if you are using the current 4.2.31 firmware for it.  You can go to 4x8TB if you convert it to run OS-6.

Message 6 of 10
paulsb01
Aspirant

Yes.. I miss read thank you. I upgraded to the latest Firmware. 

What is the best way to set this up for 2) 8tb drives.. one to mirror the other in case of failure.

Thanks,

paul

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@paulsb01 wrote:

What you need is to do a factory default.

It is possible to do this with the reset pinhole, but the simplest way is to use the admin web interface (https://nas-ip-address/admin )

Choose System, and then Update from the left menus.  Then select the "factory default" tab in the center, and then "Perform Factory Default".

The system will likely ask for confirmation (it's been a while since I did this), and then when it boots up it will automatically create a RAID-1 array.  The ReadyNAS will be syncing the array for a while, but you can configure it during the process.  Note you can also start loading it with data, but it will go faster if you wait for the array to be built.

Message 8 of 10
paulsb01
Aspirant

Thank you very much.

My thtought that was the factory default will undo the firmware upgrade I just performed. 

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@paulsb01 wrote:

My thought that was the factory default will undo the firmware upgrade I just

It won't.  The install image for the firmware was written to flash as part of the upgrade.  When you do the factory default, the boot loader uses that image to install the OS after it formats the disks.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements