× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New models? Active development?

dd432
Tutor

New models? Active development?

Hey all,

I was just wondering if there's any active development on ReadyNas devices still underway? Things seem to have stalled this year on the software side, and the hardware models haven't been refreshed in quite a while. Will new models be coming out anytime soon (or ever)? Specifically, I was looking at 526x or 626x models which are largely unavailable and 3+ years old.

Message 1 of 11
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@dd432 wrote:

Hey all,

I was just wondering if there's any active development on ReadyNas devices still underway? Things seem to have stalled this year on the software side, and the hardware models haven't been refreshed in quite a while. Will new models be coming out anytime soon (or ever)? Specifically, I was looking at 526x or 626x models which are largely unavailable and 3+ years old.

Great question. I'm wondering the same. I've been a ReadyNAS user for nearly 10 years and this year I'm looking to upgrade my Pro 6. I'm really surprised by how little innovation I've seen from Netgear/ReadyNAS when I compare it to the offerings of other NAS vendors, both on the hardware and software side of things. This is a great support community and all of our ReadyNAS boxes work well, but if the 6X6 line is really the best they have to offer, I'll probably start looking elsewhere for my future needs. Curious to hear from the Netgear folks on this forum. Anything you can say about future plans that might entice us to stay?

Message 2 of 11
dd432
Tutor

That's the same boat I'm in. I've been a customer since the Infrant NV and NV+, but there really doesn't seem to be much new development or innovation happening. Hate to turn to Qnap or Synology, but things here are looking pretty done. I'd love to see some investment and life in the product line though!

Message 3 of 11
Ray2
Luminary

Ditto-----been a user since infrant and now ReadyNAS314 in need of a second NAS.

The only thing big companies understand is voting with your pocket book and moving away from them to another substitute.

Unfortunately, they often discover it when it is too late.

No information from NETGEAR since the last OS update early this year is unacceptable and illustrates how much they disrespect their customers.

Speculation about the impact of COVID---is just that--speculation.

Make no mistake, I would very much like to remain a customer---but can't continue to do so if they are unable to provide some information on what's going on?  Simple as that.

Message 4 of 11
jpm102
Tutor

Hi,

I'm based in the UK and currently have two NetGear ReadyNAS units.  I contacted NetGear's UK sales department as I was struggling to find any suppliers with 6 or 8 bay 400-series units in stock.  I was somewhat surprised with the response I received:

"Sorry about this, stock is not great. We are moving away from NAS now so most of our units are end of life".

So NetGear are moving away from the NAS market, at least here in the UK.   The message was very clear.  In fact, I was advised by NetGear UK to look at QNAP or SYNOLOGY products instead.

If this is the case, NetGear needs to update its website and put out a clear statement to potential customers.

It looks like I'll have to start researching the QNAP and SYNOLOGY product ranges.

Message 5 of 11
dd432
Tutor

Well that's interesting to hear, defintely confirms what seems to be the case. It would be nice to see an official Netgear comment on this. Pity, they never really maximized what started off as a great platform. Guess I'll have to start seriously considering the alternative brands now.

Message 6 of 11
Ray2
Luminary

Makes sense then that they aren't announcing ANY thing publicly----they want their resellers to sell the few old units still outstanding and/or they are  in the middle of a deal to sell the dvision--perhaps even to one of their competitors? .

In my experience these NAS product were solid performers over many years--beyond typical tech expectations. They didnt' have as much built-in obsolesence and maybe sales weren't as high as their "suit" expectaitons?

As a consumer, I view it as sad news.

Message 7 of 11
Offa
Tutor

oh my, I just bought the ReadyNAS 526x 6-Bay 6x6TB for 5k lol

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 8 of 11
Offa
Tutor

Do you think this will matter for the future? I made a big investment and purchased the ReadyNas 526x model for the work place (web developer, but our team also includes engineers, app developers, coders, programmers) so you can imagine the amount of data storage and hoards of information. I'm not going to list all the information but we work with C++, PHP, CSS3, HTML5, IOS (xcode) you can see the full list here https://www.cubycode.com/

PLUS we are all gamers. What is the best solution here? Buy a second one and avoid any future tech problems? Or invest in newer model?

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 9 of 11
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

@Offa 

We don't know anything for sure at this point but ReadyNAS stock levels seems to have been low for a while. Even so, we will still see software updates as I can't imagine they would leave their users (many within years of warranty and support) stranded.

The units you have are excellent and I wouldn't worry too much about it if I was you. The RN product line is very well developed at this stage and I still plan on using mine for the next few years.

Message 10 of 11
mdgm
Virtuoso

I used to work for NETGEAR but since I left a few years ago I don't know what the development situation is, but if it does stop:

For a file server for storing large volumes of data (which in my opinion is by far the most common use for a NAS) even the oldest ReadyNAS units discontinued several years ago are still usable if you re-enable SMB1 support on your PCs or find a way to put a newer version of samba on that supports SMB2. Current ReadyNAS support SMB3 which hopefully won't be deprecated for a long time so whenever software updates stop coming for the current models they are not going to be useless overnight.

There may be those in the community that prepare updates for packages etc., over time, but as time goes on less and less apps would be easily updatable to newer versions.

Some would look into putting 3rd party OSes on (though those with active hardware warranty may wish to seriously consider whether this is advisable). I briefly put Windows 7 on a RN516 for the fun of it some years ago basically just to see if I could.

Any of the ARM or x86 models should be able to run vanilla Debian (after all the ReadyNAS OS is based on that), but the x86_64 units (especially those with VGA/HDMI) would have the most choices of 3rd party OS.

The key challenge with a 3rd party OS is ideally you'd want something that can be installed and maintained over a network, and to spend the time to get things like fan control running.

I have several ReadyNAS units and replacing them would be cost prohibitive, so I expect whatever happens I'll be using ReadyNAS units for several years to come.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements