× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New to ReadyNas Need help please

martin19
Aspirant

New to ReadyNas Need help please

Hi All

Im a stranger here and really need adivce, i have a Readynas Duo V2 for over 4 years now with no problems, i had 1 x single 2TB WD Red HDD and running out of space, i now just purcahesed a new 6TB WD Red Nas HDD, i took out the old 2Tb and installed the new 6TB works great, i thought i could then just use an external HDD plug in usb cradle and copy over the files to the new HDD, well i thoght wrong and did not work, i then put the old 2 TB back in the NAS and pulled out the new 6TB one, and now it wants me to reset it up which i dont want to do as i would loose eveything, or would I?

The question i have is how to access the files and data on my old 2TB HDD thru a windows operating system and copy thru to the new 6TB NAS HDD, i would appreciate some help please.

Thank you

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New to ReadyNas Need help please

What you're proposing is not straightforward. What you should have done is backup the data from the 2TB disk onto a USB disk. Then power down, remove the 2TB disk, put the 6TB disk and restore from the backup on the USB disk.

Message 2 of 6
martin19
Aspirant

Yes in heinside that is what i should of done, if i set up the new disk, can i the install the 2 TB in the other drive and would that acheive anything.

Thank you

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@martin19 wrote:

if i set up the new disk, can i the install the 2 TB in the other drive and would that acheive anything.

No.  And in many cases, that will wipe the data on the 2 TB drive.

If your 2 TB drive is intact, then you can still follow mdgm's procedure.  

• Power down the NAS,
  • Remove the 6 TB drive and restore the 2 TB model.  
  • Power up the NAS - your data should be there.
  • Back up the data to a USB drive or possibly a PC internal drive.  
  • Power down  the NAS again, and go back to the 6 TB drive (installed by itself). 

You can also try installing r-linux for windows on the PC, and see if that can access the data on the USB drive.

Message 4 of 6
martin19
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, really appreciate your help, yeh when i put the 2 TB disk mback in in the Raidr its asking me to do a set up which i would asmume if i did it would delete all of me data, so i have not proceeded, can you confirm if i perform the set up as its asking me to do in the Raidr software will i loose the data.

The other issue now and i dont know why, is i have a Corupt Root with the 2 TB drive not sure why, i would asume this happed due to the new drive installed, so it looks like i may need to recover the datat using thae Linux software.

Thank you

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@martin19 wrote:

can you confirm if i perform the set up as its asking me to do in the Raidr software will i loose the data.

Certainly you don't want to do a setup. 

Was the NAS powered down when you removed the 6 TB drive and put the 2 TB disk back in?

@martin19 wrote:

.The other issue now and i dont know why, is i have a Corupt Root with the 2 TB drive not sure why, i would asume this happed due to the new drive installed, so it looks like i may need to recover the datat using thae Linux software.

If you see a corrupt root when you boot the system with only the 2 TB system installed, then you might need to switch to using R-linux for windows or something similar.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements