× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Newbie Networking Problem

jbuchal
Tutor

Newbie Networking Problem

I was using my RN202 just fine, including access through ReadyCloud, inside a network where it had an IP address of 192.168.0.x.  Our lease terminated and I had to move it to a new network that was already set up with 192.168.1.x addresses.  Inside the network, I can still access the files on it just fine (Windows explorer sees it on the network just fine, and the mapped drives on the computers that also moved to the new network see it), but I can't get into the admin portion of it anymore to try and change the IP address (e.g., by typing the 192.168.0.x address into Chrome), and of course ReadyCloud doesn't work either.  

Any suggestions?

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@jbuchal wrote:

Thanks for these responses.  I will try RAIDar and post my luck with that.

Safe your time:  Open a Windows command line (Start -> cmd) and enter

ping readynas

... wonders of decades old CIFS NetBIOS name resolution technology 8-)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@jbuchal wrote:

Inside the network, I can still access the files on it just fine (Windows explorer sees it on the network just fine, and the mapped drives on the computers that also moved to the new network see it),

Looks like your ReadyNAS interface was configured to DHCP, and the DHCP server on the new network has assigned an appropriate address in that network and new LAN subnet.

I would suggest to talk to the network admin to make a reservation for the RN202 MAC<->IP pair, so it will keep the same IP address on the new network. 

@jbuchal wrote:

...but I can't get into the admin portion of it anymore to try and change the IP address (e.g., by typing the 192.168.0.x address into Chrome), 

Of course - the administration does run on the same network interface, so use the IP address on the new subnet for the administration, too. 

You could enable the display of UPnP SSDP and other discovered devices on the network - the ReadyNAS will nicely show up, a clicking the Storage Device will open the admin interface, no need to remember an IP address. Can't be easier.

UPnP SSDP ReadyNAS .PNG

Message 2 of 9
jbuchal
Tutor

Thank you for your quick response.  I was under the impression that I had set some sort of static IP in the device, but it was a long time ago and since I can't ping it, you may probably correct and it has picked up a new DCHP-supplied IP address in 192.168.1.x.

As for "talking to the network admin to make a reservation for the RN202 MAC<->IP pair, so it will keep the same IP address on the new network," there isn't one, so I have to  figure this out. 

The problem is, I have enabled those two services you mention, and I still can't see the Properties (Eigenshaften) for the NAS box; I get the picture below, and the Properties button is greyed out if I highlight the READYNAS box.  There is no '"Storage Device" to click on to get into the admin interface; whatever I cleck on ("READYNAS") just sends me into the folders on the box.  So I still can't figure out what IP address it is using and have no way to get into the admin interface.

Capture.PNG

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

RAIDar is, of course, the method Netgear recommends you use to find and connect to the NAS admin interface.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar .

You are probably still going to want to reserve an address for the NAS since Windows can have issues when you use the NAS name that are alleviated when you use the IP address.  That is recommended over a static IP for exactly the thing you are currently facing -- when changes are made to the network IP structure.  If you had used a static IP for your NAS before, you'd still not be able to connect to it by that old IP address because it and your computer would be in different subnets and it would take even more to get around that than you are now facing.

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

RAIDar is somewhat stoneage but should work of course worst case. UPnP SSDP and Bonjour (for the Apple world) are more common industry standards in the 21st century 8-)

@jbuchal Have UPnP (talking of SSDP not PMP here so the do-not-use-upnp-whiners will stay shut) is enabled on your ReadyNAS?

A Storage section will nicely show up on Explorer along with the NAS. 

RN OS6 Discovery Services.PNG 

Message 5 of 9
jbuchal
Tutor

Thanks for these responses.  I will try RAIDar and post my luck with that.  Since I can't get into the admin panel, I don't know if UPnP was enabled or not.  Probably not, given what I am seeing in Explorer.

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@jbuchal wrote:

Thanks for these responses.  I will try RAIDar and post my luck with that.

Safe your time:  Open a Windows command line (Start -> cmd) and enter

ping readynas

... wonders of decades old CIFS NetBIOS name resolution technology 8-)

Message 7 of 9
jbuchal
Tutor

Thanks again.  I can't get back into the network until Monday, but that's the first thing I'll try.

Message 8 of 9
jbuchal
Tutor

RAIDar worked great; pinging READYNAS just produced the MAC address, when what I wanted was the IP address.  Thanks to all for the quick feedback.  

@jbuchal wrote:

Thanks again.  I can't get back into the network until Monday, but that's the first thing I'll try.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements